It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5.1 Earthquake rumbles SoCal as Hiliary streams in

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:11 PM
link   

www.msn.com...

Magnitude-5.1 earthquake shakes parts of Southern California
12m

A magnitude-5.1 earthquake centered in Ventura County rattled parts of Southern California Sunday.

The USGS reported there were at least four aftershocks of magnitude-3.0 or greater. The earthquake was centered about four miles southeast of Ojai, about 80 miles northwest of Los Angeles.

Shaking was reported in Malibu, Porter Ranch, parts of Los Angeles, Manhattan Beach and other locations.

There were no immediate reports of significant damage.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:15 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

yes, Im going thru both right now. We are getting aftershocks. I posted another thread already.

I will post local hurricane updates and any new earthquakes here.
edit on 8/20/2023 by CoyoteAngels because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

www.msn.com...

Magnitude-5.1 earthquake shakes parts of Southern California
12m

Duck and cover. Haven't been in an earthquake in ages. Is that how it's still done? Or are there new ways now?

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:17 PM
link   
I've been watching the Lax and Long beach web cam and the storm is nothing but our friends in the foothills say there has been a lot of rain , Funny but not Funny I asked in another thread if all the rain could cause an Earthquake well guess what there was a quake , And to be honest a 5. anything is a pretty normal quake , I lived there for 30 years rinse and repeat .
edit on 20-8-2023 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Ravenwatcher

Not when you are 3.5 miles from it.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

The worse one I can remember was North Ridge tossed water out of my fish tank in Cypress

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:23 PM
link   

That one was awful. We lost power for days.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I was gonna link to dutch's twitch but ill spare everyone the drama, he did predict this though...

I have never felt an earthquake but, this site says that there have only been 4 EQ's larger than 4.5 since sept. 2020.
Not that many reported over 4.4 in almost 10 years

California Earthquake Authority

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:35 PM
link   
a reply to: datguy

It came as a huge surprise being prepared and watching for the hurricane to arrive. It was the LAST thing I was thinking about.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels

yes, Im going thru both right now. We are getting aftershocks. I posted another thread already.

I will post local hurricane updates and any new earthquakes here.

Apologies, mods please close, we have an ATS reporter on location...

I got distracted and missed that. LOL, I shouldn't post while I'm preparing dinner...

counting 10 aftershocks
edit on 20-8-2023 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: datguy

I was gonna link to dutch's twitch but ill spare everyone the drama, he did predict this though...

I have never felt an earthquake but, this site says that there have only been 4 EQ's larger than 4.5 since sept. 2020.
Not that many reported over 4.4 in almost 10 years

California Earthquake Authority

I think for the most part they end up down grading them after the fact , I've been through a couple af large ones "San Fran" North Ridge " Lived in Cali for 30 years before moving - Some are kinda scary because you look at each other and go is this going to stop ? Mainly just throwing water out of pool's and such unless you are really close to the center . I'll take a quake anyday over a tornado .
edit on 20-8-2023 by Ravenwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:51 PM
link   

ive seen 2 tornados in my life, thankfully both from a distance. 1st one was while I was driving cross country in 1994, the 2nd was here in central Florida, just a little one (LOL?) back in 2010

Been through my share of hurricanes though, both here in FL. and up north in MA.
Next one that comes by ill be sure to take some videos for everyone.

I think i was about 10 when Gloria came through Mass, the eye went right over where i was living, such an amazing thing it really got me addicted to storms.
There used to be the HUGE old willow tree with a massive trunk, the next day it was just gone. NOT knocked over or broken apart, the whole thing was GONE, all that was left was a hole in the ground that iIgot stuck in and couldn't climb out of without help.

In Andrew i intentionally went down to Hyannis, cape cod with my older brother, the town was in the ocean, we were boogie boarding down ocean street in waist deep water

Edit to add: i may not be afraid hurricanes but i will NEVER chase a tornado...
edit on 20pm31500000023 by datguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:53 PM
link   

We were minutes apart, and I wouldn't have said anything other than me being practically at ground zero on the quake and watching dark clouds rolling in. I did a search first too. No big deeel.

I let the mods know and told them I would post updates on either thread.

This one has more comments so we can see which they choose.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CoyoteAngels

Is now the best time to be purchasing Aftershock bottles of liquor and indulging?

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 05:56 PM
link   

This one was 5.0, then 5.5 then back to 5.1

I guess they estimate and then triangulate with different stations until they arrive at the final answer.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Hurricanes or even powerful storms can trigger quakes by adding energy to fault lines. That is a pretty well accepted relationship in the study of quakes.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 10:17 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It had not started raining even where ground zero is. I live really near ground zero.

My dogs acted spooked all morning and now it makes sense. There were fore shocks and after shocks every 45 minutes.

Before the quake, the weather here wasnt anything but dead calm, dead quiet and humid. It started raining shortly after.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 10:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Hurricanes or even powerful storms can trigger quakes by adding energy to fault lines. That is a pretty well accepted relationship in the study of quakes.

That's pretty awesome, and scary to think about.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 11:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels

It had not started raining even where ground zero is. I live really near ground zero.

My dogs acted spooked all morning and now it makes sense. There were fore shocks and after shocks every 45 minutes.

Before the quake, the weather here was anything but dead calm, dead quiet and humid. It started raining shortly after.

Energy travels through water sometimes without even making a wave. An earthquake triggers a tidal wave, but the energy just flows through the water and then hits somewhere, causing a tidal wave to be produced. If it is not strong enough to cause a high wave, it can still hit the shore and cause ground currents to increase, that can travel to a fault line too. There are all sorts of things that can contribute to weather patterns forming plus seismic activity to occur. Exciting a bond by adding energy is common, breaking a bolt free with added energy from an impact wrench actually excites the bond and it lessens the attraction between the bolt and nut...this relates how things effect tectronics too. Even forest fires can alter ground currents, fire is just a chemical reaction that steers and channels ions.

posted on Aug, 20 2023 @ 11:25 PM
link   

All Ive ever heard about 'earthquake weather' from scientists is that there isn't such a thing.

Maybe there is something to it. But we didn't have "this weather" in Ojai until this morning and it didn't even start yet.

Im skeptical and think it was coincidence. But I hope it doesn't happen again!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join