It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sunburn

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Some ships are still aluminum, but the Aegis DDG's are steel and the DD(x) will be steel. The DDG's have huge steel plates bolted to the walls of the important equipment spaces as extra armor. I always considered them more sources of shrapnel myself.

Six sunburns inbout at once would be a nightmare. Hopefully the launching platforms would be destroyed before six got fired. If the six were spaced out enough that there was a time gap of even a few seconds there might be a chance to get all six, but if all six are inbound and going to hit at the same time, the only thing the target ship could do is sound the abandon ship alarm.

I have plenty of confidence in Phallanx, RAM, amd the new SeaRAM, but they can't get six targets at the same time.

In the case of a carrier getting fired on, this is where the frigates come in. They are placed not only as ASW pickets for the carrier, but are also placed in the probable flight paths of incoming missiles as 'shields' for the carrier.

posted on May, 7 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   

as posted by PeanutButterJellyTime
Six sunburns inbout at once would be a nightmare. Hopefully the launching platforms would be destroyed before six got fired. If the six were spaced out enough that there was a time gap of even a few seconds there might be a chance to get all six, but if all six are inbound and going to hit at the same time, the only thing the target ship could do is sound the abandon ship alarm.

I have plenty of confidence in Phallanx, RAM, amd the new SeaRAM, but they can't get six targets at the same time.

:shk:
First thing, if you feel or think that way, do not join the Navy. Two, don't become a military analyst.

US ships, along with most Western ships, are equipped with multiples of anti-missile systems.
You have mentioned merely but two or three. There is Seasparrow ESSM, RIM-116 RAM, NULKA, CIWS 20MM, CIWS - The Millenium Gun, ECM, Chaff, etc. Then the ship/aircraft firing the sunburn has to deal with F-18s/E-2Cs, etc. US Navy doctrine is to take out the "archer" when possible to avoid multiple "arrows". The US Navy is very good at doing just that.

The sunburn, while a respectable missile is really an early 80's technology weapon, and the US Navy is not that worried about it. It's the media, and folks like you, that has their 'panties' in a knot....

seekerof

[edit on 7-5-2005 by Seekerof]

<< 1  2  3   >>

join