It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Haunted Hills

page: 1

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jul, 18 2023 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Some may remember that I grew up in the hills of Eastern Kentucky. I tell people I'm from Hazard, but that's because it's the only "city" they would be liable to recognize. I actually grew up a few miles down the road in Happy and lived up Scuddy Holler. It's Scuddy Branch Road now, but it'll always be Scuddy Holler to us "old timers". You can find them on Google maps if you're bored.
Looking back, things sure have changed. There are a lot more homes in the area and the holler I grew up in has a paved road. Back then it was just a dirt road that was a dead end. There was me, Mom, Dad and my sister living in a small house at the end.

You've heard tales that say "Don't go out at night " and if you do and hear someone whistle at you, Don't Turn Around. If you're walking by yourself and someone calls your name, keep walking. There are myths and legends about strange things in those hills. Things you don't want to meet.

I met them twice and here is one of them.

Back then, my Dad worked in the mines and having only one car, we walked where we need to when Dad was at work. There was an old general store about a mile and a half away and sometimes when Mom needed something for supper, we walked to Pearl's to get it.
Pearl Adams was the owner of that store and to me, he was always 3 days older than dirt. Smoked a pipe constantly. I never saw him without it.

One evening, Mom needed something so we had to go to Pearls. That old dirt road was narrow and overhung with trees and I always thought it was spooky, especially in the afternoon when the Sun had gone down behind the mountain and everything was in shadow. We made it, got our stuff and headed back. I was 8 and in charge of carrying the small watermelon Mom had got for dessert. Mom had stopped to talk to some other women, so by the time we were back on our road, it was late in the afternoon and getting dusk. When the Sun goes down, it gets...eerie.. about that time of day. It's the the only way to describe it.

Mom and my sister being older and walking faster, got a bit ahead of me. Not far, maybe about 100 feet. We were walking up the holler and I was lagging behind, just kicking rocks and dawdling along, when something made me look up. I don't know what what is was. Maybe a feeling or a sound, but I wish I never looked. I saw a red skeleton coming straight down at me. Not red like what you're thinking, red like the coals of an old fire, peeking out from the ashes. Black and glowing red in spots, mouth open in a silent scream.

I remember I screamed, dropped the watermelon and ran to catch up. I was looking at my Mom as I ran as a child does. I mean if SHTF, you run for Mom, right ? Especially if you're an 8 year old little boy.

As I was looking at her, I saw her look up as if seeing a bird flying over my head and I knew she had seen it too. When I got to her, crying, shaking and scared to death, she put her arm around me and for some reason, I was babbling about the watermelon. I had dropped it and now we wouldn't have any dessert. I looked back and there it was, just lying in the road, waiting for me to come back and get it.

Mom looked down at me and said "Leave it". We made it home as fast as we could and this time I stuck right to Mom's heels. That night, lying in bed, I could hear my parents talking in quiet but tense voices. I don't know what was said, but 2 weeks later we moved to a new house that was Not in Scuddy Holler.

posted on Jul, 18 2023 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Thanks for the interesting story, you never asked about it at a later point? from your mom or sister.

posted on Jul, 18 2023 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Great story.

That part of Appalachia, the tri-state area, has always nicked my fancy. I write short stories to sell to online literary journals, and I have one kind of up that alley. It's psychological horror dripping with "black magic and set in southern West Virginia. I haven't sold it yet, things keep getting added to it, and now I'm inspired enough to add more character development to the female protagonist.

I remember you from when I was Taupin Desciple on here, and you're very entertaining. Just your typical responses can bring a chuckle. Good to see you're still here.

edit on 18-7-2023 by Left4Dead because: Clarity

posted on Jul, 18 2023 @ 04:58 PM
link   
a reply to: XipeTotex

You know, I never really thought to ask. Being 8 at the time, I think I just went on with life and tried to put it out of my mind.

posted on Jul, 18 2023 @ 05:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Left4Dead

Thank you!

When you get that published I'd like to read it.

posted on Jul, 18 2023 @ 11:00 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 19 2023 @ 12:09 AM
link   
SPAM

edit on 7/19/2023 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2023 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Left4Dead

I write short stories to sell to online literary journals

PM me as I have both much paranormal. I am not under contract but I have provided my life experience material to Dr. David Hufford PhD and Dr. Sheila Pryce Brooks of York University London UK.

I have had over 1000 SP episodes since age 7. AKA The Guardian of the Threshold, Twin Flame, Guardian Angel, Armor of God, Shield of Faith, Father Robert Morey, Exorcist, Spiritual Battle, UFO, The Black Vault and much more.

Brooks wanted me to do a Podcast with her. I agreed yesterday in writing so long as it includes movie director and producer Cyrus L.R. as he appeared with her on another Sleep Paralysis Podcast last w eek with a gentleman from London, UK. I want both so they can ping me with questions after I tell my story. Much of which is documented on 3rd party sites

The Movie Aimless - Intro Video
edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: add

edit on 04 13 2023 by Waterglass because: typos

posted on Jul, 19 2023 @ 08:35 AM
link   

PM for you.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 19 2023 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing that, I've heard several strange stories from those hills. My bosses dad grew up near Hazard also. Somehow he got through life never learning how to read or write but still had a drivers license and a decent job at the GM plant near Cincinnati. I think some of those hill people never make it out...
Anyhow, I'd love to hear your second story when you feel inclined !

posted on Jul, 19 2023 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Oh wow ! I’m Glad your parents moved . You must have had night mares for awhile……. My sister lives in paris, kentucky,On the border area of north Middletown. She has a large horse farm , and it sits up on top of an hill, with many acres. when I visit her , it seems spooky to me at night time, and I always tell her I feel Somethings off. lately she’s been telling me about odd things happening on her farm , a large orb racing through the barn , and a large transparent dog she’s seen twice, a creature down the hill she couldn’t identify , odd noises . Is paris close to where you grew up ?

posted on Jul, 19 2023 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Amazing story. Thank you for sharing =)

posted on Jul, 19 2023 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Love it.. Thanks for the read... more ?

posted on Jul, 19 2023 @ 09:06 PM
link   
What an interesting story, thank you for sharing.

No one can understand the darkness that can sneak into the Appalachian Mountains. I've lived in southern West Virginia almost my whole life, and the shadows are just different in the mountains. My pawpaw used to tell me that God had to pump in the sunshine to get into the hollers.

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 10:54 AM
link   

That place is haunted. I know because I know of one just like this called Mount Chalmers.

It was an old mining town-if you can even call it that now -with no general store and about 200 residents spread across many square miles, and that's not including the ghost residents. Speaking of ghosts...

My foster Aunt lived out there, when she went to use the outhouse (no plumbing either) She spotted an old Chinese miner carrying buckets of slag on both ends of a stick. The mines had been closed for over a century. This region has a few old mining towns from the "gold rush" days and each one have their own tales of hauntings.

That's what happens when you don't follow safety protocol, you have to warn the others from beyond the grave.

posted on Jul, 20 2023 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I saw you were from a few miles away and had to finally join ATS. I'm not far from Hazard either. I did have a couple questions from your interesting story:

1. Do you recall the time of year that this happened? And if so, do you remember the woods going quiet around you before the event?

2. Can you give us an image of what this thing looked like? Perhaps a similar image online or a sketch?

I'm very interested in hearing more about this! This is my first time hearing about an event in Scuddy.

posted on Jul, 21 2023 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Andyw513

It was during the Summer. I remember because I was 8 and happy there was no school. As far as sound, those hill were always a bit quiet that time of day. The Sun is behind the mountain and everything seems to go still. You know what I mean.

As for an image, I scoured Google and can't find anything that would come close and I suck at drawing.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I can see that your mom saw it too, you think. Did you ever follow up and confirm this? Has she ever talked about those times?

new topics

top topics

join