It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New AM5 Build

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Building a new Socket AM5 rig around a Ryzen 7 7700X and looking for some motherboard recommendations.

My initial thoughts were to go with the "ASRock X670E PG Lightning" down to price and reviews, but it seems a mixed bag, with some issues regarding memory.

Also the "MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK" looks rather promising.

Anybody got any thoughts on the matter?
edit on 11-7-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
Building a new Socket AM5 rig around a Ryzen 7 7700X and looking for some motherboard recommendations.

My initial thoughts were to go with the "ASRock X670E PG Lightning" down to price and reviews, but it seems a mixed bag, with some issues regarding memory.

Also the "MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK" looks rather promising.

Anybody got any thoughts on the matter?

No to Asrock , they used to be the one .
Had 2 x570s that the cooling tower pulled the CPU socket out due to poor tolerances in the fit .
I prefer Gigabyte now .
Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX
You asked for my recommendation.

Disclaimer : The suggestion put forth is just my opinion put forward from experience .

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 04:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake

The MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK you mentioned looked fairly good as well .
Get one with wireless and bluetooth , anyhoo .

Oh , and no mini-boards .

edit on 7/11/23 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Naw, i would not go with a micro ATX setup.

I've got a X370 MSI board just now with a 3600X which has been kind of hit-and-miss over the years(board not CPU).

Time for an upgrade through.

Cheers for the input.

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

I switched to Asus mb's a while ago and never looked back. The only caution is to make sure to check component compatibility on their website. I would suggest either the Rog Strix or Tuf Gaming and go B650 or above. I know people who swear by MSI and Gigabit just as strongly as I prefer Asus. Honestly, any of those would probably do a decent job.

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 05:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Vroomfondel

Yeh it's just preference in the end.

Had a few ASUS boards over the years.

Kids PC has an ASUS board with an old i5 doing the job.

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 05:19 PM
link   

How much for the am4 board?

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 05:22 PM
link   

All MSI motherboards I’ve used stopped working. ASUS work great or don’t work at all. Gigabyte has been bulletproof.

I bought my son a MSI gaming laptop and it’s had lots of issues with motherboard and been to manufacturer 3 times for repair.

But everyone has different experiences. I only build gigabyte now, and I’ve never had one stop working.

My 2 pennies, which won’t buy anything anymore

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 05:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Crackalackin

It's a Socket AM5 board im after Crackalackin to support the 7000 series Ryzen 7700X CPU.

If i go with the MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK about £306.

Or with the Gigabyte X670 GAMING about £269.

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 05:31 PM
link   
a reply to: pianopraze

Yeh like i said ive got a MSI X370 board must be about 6 or 7 years old and still going strong.

Just your Donald Duck really, and it helps if you take care of them and clean them every few months longevity-wise as you probably well know.

As to gaming laptops, can't stand the things, as they generally don't do what it says on the tin, are overpriced, act as space heaters underload, and have a crap battery life to boot.

Anyhoo cheers for the input.

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I am not a computer expert but I read myself into the theory a bit when I got my new computer at the beging of this year. I got it built after composing it with help in Discord and other places.

I do have the Ryzen 7 7700X in combination with an ASUS ROG STRIX B650E mainboard with a 4090 RTX (Gainward). It never let me down since I have it, I can play every game I want on ultra with +100FPS. I since then had to install an additional NVME and even as a illiterate, I got that to work on my own. The quality of the mainboard is off world.

I would buy the computer again in that same configuration. The other hardware you listed, I looked at the X670E but people on a German board told me to go for the ASUS. Asrock is the cheapo brand of ASUS.

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TDDAgain

Nice GFX card.

Would love to get one but the Mrs would have my nuts in a sling. LoL

Ile need to make do with a Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti.

Which is still a step up from my current RTX 2070 Super.

I know there are cheaper ATI cards comparable to the 4070 Ti and with more memory, but im kind of team green on the GPU front for the better or worse of the matter.

Cheers for the input.

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 05:53 PM
link   

I would stay with the NVIDIA, a lot things you can do with the RTX cards beside gaming is not possible on the ATI cards because lack of support. I almost fell for that, because I wanted to do some stablediffusion local and almost got an ATI card, in the last moment someone made me aware that for AI and game compatibility, NVIDIA is the way to go.

Don't value my input too high. I made good experiences with the computer, so I can recommend it as it is.

The 7700X is the processor to use for gaming from the Ryzen7 family, from what I read on all the boards and also computer benchmark websites.

edit on 11.7.2023 by TDDAgain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 06:40 PM
link   
PSU wise im going to go with a Corsair RM850x (2021) 850W 80+ Gold Certified.

Anybody any experience using that PSU or similar with a RTX 4070 Ti?

Heard some horror stories surrounding the three 6+2-pin power connectors that supply the 16-pin power connector adapter.

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 08:32 PM
link   

As long as you go with a quality motherboard, the brand isn't the biggest consideration. It comes down to features. What you need first, then what you would like to have, as well as whether you overclock or don't and matching the chipset to your intended use.

That said, I am admittedly partial to Asus motherboards.

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

As long as you go with a quality motherboard, the brand isn't the biggest consideration. It comes down to features. What you need first, then what you would like to have, as well as whether you overclock or don't and matching the chipset to your intended use.

Hence the reason I'm after an x670 motherboard as opposed to one with a B650 chipset.

I agree motherboard quality is always paramount.

That said, I am admittedly partial to Asus motherboards.

There are good boards, but some people(not me) have indeed had bad experiences with them.

Same could be said about MSI all the same where if i do recall their customer support was bordering check. LoL

posted on Jul, 11 2023 @ 08:46 PM
link   

I often feel like hobbyists and techs are nearly as bad as car enthusiasts. Some people won't own one car brand, but love another because...reasons.

I've built more computers than I can count. I've sent motherboards (and other parts) back from every manufacturer over the years, including Intel and Super Micro. It's no different than any other industry. Sometimes you get a lemon.

posted on Jul, 12 2023 @ 01:59 PM
link   
To date, the parts ordered amount to.

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Corsair iCUE H100i RGB ELITE 65.57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler.
MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5
G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400
Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti
Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME
Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W

And it all going in a Corsair 5000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower.

Had to pay about £70 over the odds and order the GPU from "Overclockers" here in the UK because "Newegg" refused to take payments.

edit on 12-7-2023 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 12 2023 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Nice system. Now you gotta post pics after the the build or it didn't happen.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join