It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancel culture is ruining television

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 05:17 PM
link   
The Witcher is undoubtedly one of the most popular shows on Netflix and a big reason for that is Henry Cavill. Last year it was reported that Netflix had essentially fired him and would replace him in season 4 because he wanted too much editorial control over the show and his behavior was some times disrespectful. There were some supposed leaks claiming he was "toxic" towards women and a "gamer bro" who was "deeply addicted to video games". It's no secret that Cavill is a massive fan of The Witcher games and books, but I find these leaks very hard to believe considering many other actors say he is extremely respectful and a pleasure to work with.

Even if those claims were somewhat truthful, I think it's a good thing when the actor is deeply involved with the source material, and they should have been listening to his advice instead of treating him like a nuisance. It really doesn't matter how they remove Cavill from the show, it could be a masterful piece of story telling, or a perfect transition so we don't even notice the actor has changed, it really doesn't matter. If they still plan to replace Cavill, I'm going to predict right now it will result in one of the worst fan melt downs in history. Personally, I would rather them end the show, despite the fact it's one of my all time favorite shows.

Let me remind you I predicted the damage Fallout 76 would do to Bethesda before the game was released. Then we have the situation with Justin Roiland, who is the creator of Rick and Morty, also one of the most popular shows on Netflix, although I think its owned by Adult Swim and not Netflix. Near the start of this year Roiland was accused of domestic battery and false imprisonment, resulting in him being fired from the show he created despite the fact he also voices the two main characters, Rick and Morty. This decision was made before the case even reached a verdict.

In March the case was dismissed due to a "lack of evidence" and "significant additional information" which came to light. Yet it doesn't seem like Roiland will be getting back his position on Rick and Morty or many of the other shows he helped create. Is the media at all apologetic for smearing his character so harshly without having all the facts? Barely... they could care less about ruining some of the best shows available in this landscape full of unwatchable crap. If they really think Rick and Morty can simply be replaced without any repercussions they are living in a fantasy land.

Once again, it doesn't matter how well they pull it off, I will not watch a show which can so blatantly disrespect the actors and creators, it's just that simple. I'm sick and tired of this cancel culture ruining everything good. It's one thing if the accusations being made are true, but when people have their lives ruined over lies it's just unacceptable. Roiland was fired based on speculative claims in order to protect a corporate image. The owners of these IP's should think very carefully about their next move, because they are currently digging their own grave, and vastly underestimating the consequences of their poor decisions.
edit on 3/7/2023 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Its hard to know what really went down between Cavill and Roiland. Roiland had some creepy texts, but who knows how much of it was real.

I think sometimes shows get worn down by people more worried about checking their PC boxes and playing it safe, and inserting unneeded/unrelated politics, than just creating a great show that takes risks.

There is still a lot of great shows and movies out there though. Just gotta filter through the junk.

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 05:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Turquosie

Anyone can say anything on Twitter. Wikipedia only provides this one example of the messages he supposedly sent:

Accusations involving adults include a private message he sent to musician Allie Goertz, who was at the time working on a Rick and Morty concept album, and said "Can you write a song about 9 Dick’s [sic] of different sized [sic] and ethnic origins hanging above your face, and then in the lyrics describe how they each splatter you with semen.”

Yes it's an absurd request, but it sounds to me like something that could actually be in Rick and Morty. Maybe if you can't handle the obscene type of humor that Rick and Morty is well known for, then don't work on the show. It wouldn't surprise me if Roiland was a bit extreme in his behavior, you have to be a bit a bit whacky to make something like Rick and Morty. But if the people making the claims can't show the evidence then he shouldn't be cancelled.

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Turquosie
Its hard to know what really went down between Cavill and Roiland. Roiland had some creepy texts, but who knows how much of it was real.

I think sometimes shows get worn down by people more worried about checking their PC boxes and playing it safe, and inserting unneeded/unrelated politics, than just creating a great show that takes risks.

There is still a lot of great shows and movies out there though. Just gotta filter through the junk.

Great movies and shows where?

I was looking for another subject and in the last 3-4 years in the top 500 movies each year only 4-5 were worth a # total.

Maybe it's my demographic data, but even as a 58 Caucasian male libertarian for the most part, the overt politicization agenda doesn't automatically shut me down. Most movies are sophomoric and have the now same tired tropes, both the agenda-driven and typical Hollywood tropes.

Slumdog Millionaire was awesome and it wouldn't even get made these days, or it would have been bastardized. I did enjoy Yesterday and Parasite but the American movies... whole lot of garbage.

I've found decent reviews on here for movies to watch

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 06:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

Anyone can say anything on Twitter. Wikipedia only provides this one example of the messages he supposedly sent:

Accusations involving adults include a private message he sent to musician Allie Goertz, who was at the time working on a Rick and Morty concept album, and said "Can you write a song about 9 Dick’s [sic] of different sized [sic] and ethnic origins hanging above your face, and then in the lyrics describe how they each splatter you with semen.”

Yes it's an absurd request, but it sounds to me like something that could actually be in Rick and Morty. Maybe if you can't handle the obscene type of humor that Rick and Morty is well known for, then don't work on the show. It wouldn't surprise me if Roiland was a bit extreme in his behavior, you have to be a bit a bit whacky to make something like Rick and Morty. But if the people making the claims can't show the evidence then he shouldn't be cancelled.

Roiland got a one-way ticket on the cancel railroad, Im a Rick and Morty fan, and have been following the story literally went from feeling, like he was a scumbag to he got completely screwed.

Still, question some of his choices, LOL but he didn't deserve the #storm nor lose all of his intellectual properties. That said RAM isn't as sharp and has become a little bit of a parody of itself.

There was and is the sudden wealth aspect, where guys who make aren't aware of predatory people around them.

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Its unfortunate, but understandable, that Rick and Morty lost its edge. I still really enjoy the show, but it's not like those first couple seasons. I guess thats most shows.

Granted, It's always sunny in philadelphia is still pretty good for such a long run-time. Even if they do re-hash some stuff.

Maybe justin roiland will come out of this with some good material, kinda like Louis C.K. did.

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 07:15 PM
link   
I like to watch retro tv channels. Last night i watched All in the Family and MASH...Archie Bunker
would be canceled and trigger too many people...

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Steadydietofnothing
I like to watch retro tv channels. Last night i watched All in the Family and MASH...Archie Bunker
would be canceled and trigger too many people...

It's funny I watched Barney Miller the other night it always seemed progressive to me. MASH had a guy wearing a dress, and All in the Family tackled a lot of different social issues. However they were all well-written and acted

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 08:31 PM
link   
ChaoticOrder, a long time ago like in the 2000s I liked you a lot then we got in some disagreements... but I do agree with you about this. I think it is hilarious that they are going to try and do the Witcher without Henry Cavill. It sounds terrible.

It is not a bad thing that he has read all the books and has ideas about how to be true to them, and being a gamer is not a bad thing, maybe he has played the game as well...

I am a moderate really, and yeah I can see how this was a bad decision on their part. The only real credit I would give to them is if Henry Cavill was actually causing problems on set, which I have heard no evidence of.

Go figure, I also loved Rick and Morty, and Rick is one of my favorite characters of all-time... the fact that the case is dropped should result in forgiveness I would hope.
edit on 03pmMon, 03 Jul 2023 20:32:51 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 09:49 PM
link   
TV has been called a "vast wasteland" since the 1950's.

It still is.

I cancelled my cable several years ago. I don't miss it.

posted on Jul, 3 2023 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Rewatching the entire series now before I watch the new season.

The first few episodes were incredible remakes of the books, with a lot of nods to the video games. Maybe not the entire episodes, but definitely the Gerald scenes.

Each episode seems to be moving more and more away from source material.

I’m just getting in season 2 now. Major changes from the books already.

I dread season 3 but will keep watching through season three.

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: ChaoticOrder

Sounds like a funny guy with a sick sense of humor, no worse than some of the twisted conversations I've had hanging out at the bar in my 20s.

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ChaoticOrder

Eh the Witcher fell off after season 1

Rick & Morty, agreed that sucks but I'm also pretty stoked to see people's behavior actually being held accountable. So many horrible human beings getting away with sexual assault, etc. -- literally every famous musician and actor and director just absolutely drunk with power with nobody to stop them from their evil deeds for decades.

There's plenty of great shows that don't pull punches. Check out Beef on Netflix, it's great lol - Brand New Cherry Flavor is also great if you can handle some weirdness.

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 11:33 AM
link   
So many bad news at once.

The Witcher 😈without Cavill? Don't know how that would work.

Also Rick and Morty getting different voices? I am out.

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 12:08 PM
link   
cancel culture

It's completely orchestrated by the CIA

5 corporations own all the media. And they have an agenda

TV is pure propaganda, and it's all fake news

sheeple completely follow what the TV says.. no questions asked

It's says get a shot ..they get a shot

It says comedy is offensive. Now it's offensive

It says it's antisemitic .. then it is

It says kids want sex changes .. sheeple agree

We really are in the matrix

Covid was the great wake up call

And sheeple are real

I have no idea how to wake them up
edit on 4-7-2023 by Dyax- because: Typos

posted on Jul, 4 2023 @ 05:53 PM
link   
True!

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Cancel Culture is ruining everything.

Cancel Culture is punishing people without Due Process.

Cancel Culture violates the 14th Amendment.

And so does anyone in our Government who supports it.

Cancel Culture is unAmerican.

And so is anyone who supports it.

Watch them and log who they are.

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 04:37 AM
link   
I believe I read somewhere that he was getting really pissed off at the changes being made. He wanted to stick to the actual Witcher story, but they kept changing things up. I can't blame him.

As for the people accusing him, they just want their 15 minutes of fame. I've never read a bad story about him, and as someone else said, the people who've worked with him only have praise.

One final note, and I could be completely wrong about this. But I read that due to him not liking the changes, and him believing he was going to be filming the next Superman movie, he quit. Then James Gunn went and fired him as well.

posted on Jul, 9 2023 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Don't worry, we've got another Galadriel now, Ciri. She can do everything Galadriel can in Rings of Power. They even look the same.

posted on Jul, 27 2023 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Henry Cavile is doing a WH40K live show, which i cant wait for, but i think it'll go two seasons before they change the lore and piss him off just like they did with the Witcher.

top topics

join