It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our tax dollars at work in Ukraine Ukraine spring offensive

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

How so?

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Just a few villages which were unprotected by the Russians.
Compared to the heavy defensive's where Russians had placed.

Its unlikely Ukraine will have a success.

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: vNex92

Yeah, it's all going so well for the Krumblin.

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

I do tend to miss relevant information from time to time but the fact Russia is using conscripts and prisoners to fight, is no different that anything Ukraine is doing in this conflict. I might add that both sides are also using mercenaries in this conflict. As the old saying goes, "all's fair in love and war".

I also said, it's ironic that the old tactics of WW1, trench warfare has become necessary again, to keep from being obliterated by all of these new weapons of obliteration. Humanity has not and probably will never ever learn to actually be civilized and reconcile differences without having to obliterate their opponents, sad to say.

What is this war about, I say? What is any war about? I suggest you read General Smedley Butler's book, "War Is A Racket". You can find it here in pdf.
War Is A Racket

CHAPTER ONE
War Is A Racket
WAR is a racket. It always has been.
It is possibly the oldest, easily the most profitable, surely the most vicious. It is the only one
international in scope. It is the only one in which the profits are reckoned in dollars and the losses in
lives.

We are just the manipulated masses that mean nothing to the megalo-narcissists obsessions to continually acquire ever more wealth and power. Their appetites are insatiable.

Do I sense just a tidbit of anger and resentment here?
Come on now, it's all fun and games, after all.

OldCarpy, nothing we say or do here makes one iota of difference in the global scheme of events around the world, other than our recognizing we are truly irrelevant to global events. We like to think we, what we think and say, someway, makes a difference, but it doesn't. Earth is just a speck of dust in this vast universe and we, individually, are just a speck of dust on this planet. The only real difference we can achieve in anything we say or do is limited only to our immediate surroundings and no further.

I recognize that I had no right to pull your chain, but in essence, that is just an irrefutable trait of human nature, I guess. We can't help ourselves sometimes.

PS: You are a worthy adversary.

edit on 11-6-2023 by LittleJake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: LittleJake

Well, yes.

But maybe you might want to engage in an actual discussion?

About stuff?

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 04:10 PM
link   

What for? This thing we do here is of no use or benefit to anyone, other than ourselves.

It's just entertainment, dude!

Was my last post not discussion?

About stuff?

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Good day. Good day to you, little man.

posted on Jun, 11 2023 @ 04:29 PM
link   

As one insignificant to another, good day to you, as well.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

originally posted by: Imhere
Pro Zelensky borrowed Lepard Tanks. Getting blown…

Meanwhile in the real World, your much vaunted T-90 MBT's are getting "blown", bigly.

Here, 61 documented.

How do you feel bout that?

eurasiantimes.com...

Not particularly good news for T-90 enthusiasts, but all tanks are destroyable in this conflict. If 61 T-90's had been destroyed in the offensive so far, that would be great news, but this just seems to be the total destroyed in the conflict, and seems a reasonable and to be expected number. Doesn't reflect one way or the other on how the offensive is going.

I'm saying this as a staunch supporter of both Ukraine and the truth.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Hmm, never seen this YT 'er's channel before. Clearly seems to be on the Russian side, but he sounds reasonable and thorough as well. Really too thorough, as in diving too deep into the weeds as far the battle analyses go. That said, he does a much more detailed job than any of the more common pro-Ukrainian battle analysts on YT that I've seen.

It does look like his battle pictures showing terrain, destroyed vehicles and such look legit; however, when he quotes total numbers of Ukrainian combat losses, both in men and equipment, I am more than a bit suspect because I imagine he is getting his info from the Russian MOD. However, I admire his presentation style and very detailed map graphics. Whether results of the battles and the lack of change in battle lines on his maps reflect what is really happening, that is another matter. I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.

To answer the OP's question, I haven't seen or heard anything so far to refute these videos. I'm saying this as a Ukraine supporter.

I've had my doubts about this offensive, and some of the first news I saw from the more realistic pro-Ukrainian YT' er's hasn't been that good so far, and has shown some egregious small-level tactical mistakes by the Ukrainians . Breaching these long-fortified positions was never going to be easy in any case. If they are attempting to do so in day attacks and with less-than-optimal tactical doctrine, I really have worries about the results.

It's been my contention all along the the only way Ukraine can actually win is if western economic sanctions really start putting a strangle hold on the Russian economy and war effort. That and the evidently ongoing large-scale sabotage campaign that continues to sap the Russian war effort. I've been hearing about drone strikes taking out Russian natural gas production in recent days. Because of economic sanctions, which have drastically reduced Russia's income from resource exports, the country is now running a large deficit and has nowhere to borrow money from. Russia will have to either raise taxes or start printing money, and either policy will cause big domestic problems. This is the only practical route to a collapse of the Putin regime if there is one. And this is the only path that will lead to a settlement favoring Ukraine.

For the Ukrainians to win militarily, they will need to have incredible success soon in this offensive or somehow win the war of attrition. Right now they aren't winning that war in terms of equipment and ammunition. And whether they're winning it in manpower is a matter of speculation, but there is no way that Ukraine can replace troops as readily as the Russians. Russia far out produces Ukraine and its allies with respect to ammunition. The west is ramping up ammunition manufacture, but it still won't rival Russia's, so I don't see Ukraine winning the war of attrition unless they can leverage the newer weapon systems they are receiving from the west in order to obtain an advantage on the battlefield and a very favorable equipment loss ratio vs the Russians. If what the above videos reflects what is truly happening on the battlefield, I don't see Ukraine achieving military success.

I hope it is otherwise, and I think we'll know more in a week or two. But I see this war likely settling into purely a war of attrition, not unlike the Iraq-Iran war or WWI. Not a pretty picture.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Here's a vid by an Ukrainian YT'er who provides balanced coverage and generally is shown in hindsight to be correct in his reporting. In this video he is showing where Ukraine has made some progress in the last couple of days, and also discusses Ukrainian vehicle losses from an ambushed convoy. He makes the point that western military advisors need to be providing more oversight to the the combat operations; however, I don't think that would play well in Peoria, Preston, or Bremerhaven, but probably would in Legnica. I do have a bit more confidence in the Ukrainian offensive having a chance after viewing it, but it is going to be a tough slog.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 06:01 AM
link   
A complete waste of tax dollars, yes.

This so called spring offensive is laughable at best. So far 350,000 dead ukranians dieing at a rate of seven to one.

All over regions that don't even want to be a part of Ukraine anymore.
USA USA USA!

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 11:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

What's laughable is your claim about the number of dead Ukrainians being 350,000 from this offensive, and, of course, your ludicrous seven to one claim.

I'd ask you for some evidence but can't be bothered.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: MrInquisitive

That a pretty good, thorough critique of this situation.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 01:23 PM
link   

My sources are showing similar incremental increases by Ukrainian forces in these last few days, but according to them, the Ukrainian forces have not come even close to the main Russian defenses yet. I would post the videos but I don't really see the need.

It's about time for western disruption of the Black Sea gas pipelines into Turkey, to be sabotaged. If, or when that happens, Turkey will surely abandon NATO.

PS: According to my sources, most of the Ukrainian casualties are being inflicted before Ukrainian forces even reach the battle front. Their convoys are being spotted by Russian drones and reportedly decimated by rocket, artillery, air and suicide drone attacks. If this is true, casualty rates may well be 7 to 1 or just morbidly lopsided.
edit on 12-6-2023 by LittleJake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I meant 350000 dead in the war so far.

It's going to be alot more now Russia is dug in. Time for Ukraine to find out what attacking defensive positions is like.

Seven to one was mentioned in one of the videos I'm sure you didn't bother to watch.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 02:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Nexttimemaybe

What videos?

Did you forget you said this?

"What's laughable is your claim about the number of dead Ukrainians being 350,000 from this offensive"

"From this offensive."

Russia knows what attacking defensive positions is like, eg, Bakhmut.

Tell me, how long did that take, and at what cost?

I get that you revel in dead Ukrainians. Makes me sick to my stomach, but I get it.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Russia used the Wagner Group to take Bakhmut and used it as a killing field, where Ukraine kept pouring ever more manpower into that battle to try to hold onto it. Ukraine was too stupid to realize Russian strategy there and fell headfirst into that trap.

posted on Jun, 12 2023 @ 02:21 PM
link   

edit on 12-6-2023 by Oldcarpy2 because: What's the point?

posted on Jun, 13 2023 @ 03:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: LittleJake

My sources are showing similar incremental increases by Ukrainian forces in these last few days, but according to them, the Ukrainian forces have not come even close to the main Russian defenses yet. I would post the videos but I don't really see the need.

It's about time for western disruption of the Black Sea gas pipelines into Turkey, to be sabotaged. If, or when that happens, Turkey will surely abandon NATO.

PS: According to my sources, most of the Ukrainian casualties are being inflicted before Ukrainian forces even reach the battle front. Their convoys are being spotted by Russian drones and reportedly decimated by rocket, artillery, air and suicide drone attacks. If this is true, casualty rates may well be 7 to 1 or just morbidly lopsided.

I don't see Turkey leaving NATO. It wants to et into the EU, and leaving NATO would kill this possibility. Also don't think Ukraine wants to piss off Turkey because currently Turkey is using the Montreaux Treaty to keep Russian military ships from entering the Black Sea, and Turkey has been supporting the grain shipping deal to protect ships in the Black Sea carrying Ukrainian grain.

According to one of the videos you provided, it sounds like Ukrainian convoys -- or at least one -- have been hit on their way to the front. However, given the make-up of the one convoy shown, i.e. a couple of Leopards and three or four Bradleys, that seems like more the makeup of a combat column approaching enemy lines. I'd expect truck, Humvees and such to be in a column coming up to the front. In the video I posted, there are shown taken out Leopards that appear to have mine-clearing equipment on them, and there trodden path clearly shows that they were digging up dirt up until the time that they were taken out, so again I think these vehicle losses have been in the combat zone. What the Russians are reporting could be true, but no strong evidence of it yet. I definitely don't believe the 7-to-1 kill ratios reported by the Russians.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join