It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did the "Florida Parental Rights in Education Act" (DONT SAY GAY) cause the downfall of Disney?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 11:42 AM
link   
1) Recent Disney events and business activities prove that Disney as a company is on the downtrend. While this may not be permanent, it certainly is truth.
A)Disney stock prices
This is usually indicative of a lack of interest by investors as well a sign that investors are leaving. You can see the impacts the C-19 lockdowns
had and its quick recovery. But its all time high in march of 2021 was the beginning of the down trend.
B)Inside Disney Drama....

Chapek's fumbles were wide-ranging. Disney had just reported a $1.5 billion loss in its streaming business on a November 8 earnings call. Earlier in the year, the company faced backlash from customers over price increases at its theme parks. Separately, employees walked out in protest over Disney's reluctance to take a strong stance against Florida's "Don't Say Gay" law.

C)Disney scraps plans for new Florida campus...

With that said, it should be clear that Disney is in fact dealing with some issues that are causing its decline.
But, is it because of seemingly unrelated legislation, I argue it is.

HB 1557, more commonly know as the "DONT SAY GAY" bill has been in the spotlight for more than year now. Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signed the bill on March 28, passing into law on July 1st 2022.
I am guessing that most if not all of you have ALL formed opinions of it, based on your political and/or personal bias, but have NEVER read this bill
Here is your chance, its only 7 pages
HB 1557 "Florida Parental Rights in Education"
Page 4, paragraph 3

Classroom instruction by school personnel or third parties on sexual orientation or gender identity may not occur in kindergarten through grade 3 or in a manner that is not age appropriate or developmentally appropriate for students in accordance with state standards.

It has since been expanded on by the Florida board of education, with overwhelming support from parents, go figure...
But that has not stopped the assault on the bill by MSM and proponents of the gay community.

Disney, as a supporter and employer of many in said community took a stand against this bill after an employee walkout in protest over the bill. But only after it had initially given funds to the bills sponsors.
Disney Vows to Help Repeal Florida’s ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill:...

Since these events, Disney has experience a loss of capitol and shrinking attendance. Not to mention the legal and financial implications of the changes to the reedy creek improvement district, which transferred power away from the corporation and back to the state
DeSantis signs bill that gives him more control of Disney’s special district
DeSantis has been cited as saying

“There’s a new sheriff in town and accountability will be the order of the day.”

Is this the End of Disney as we know it?
Did Disney overstep their bounds, absolutely. They have no place opposing legislation that empowers parents right and protects children

I personally will be happy to see Disney fail in these matters. They are a horrible employer, they treat their guest as poorly as they do their employees. Have you ever read the fine print on their tickets? Just by purchasing a ticket you waive any and all rights to protect yourself or your families. Just more corporate bull$#!^

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Star Wars Hotel Closes No Reason Given

This just happened too!

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 11:51 AM
link   
a reply to: datguy

I would say it's the fact that Disney is openly pro-pedophillia that has more to do with it.
Plus it went woke a while ago now.
All too policital and too expensive, so not worth it anymore for most.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Many of us have been clamoring for their media empire to be split up for years. Abc, yahoo, and the countless tv channels, radio stations, and print media they have gobbled up in their umbrella. Before they openly backed pedo child grooming, we disliked them as one of the big sisters of media ownership monopoly.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:21 PM
link   

The short answer is simply "No" ...

Disney don't run schools, they're not affected by the legislation for K-8 alphabet restrictions in public education.

Disney have done this to themselves, probably through something I would call *Osmotic Progressivism™ ... Many other organisations are headed down the same path and don't even realise it yet.

* I consider this to be the effect of younger people with youthful 'progressive' attitudes simply rising through the ranks based on service time and the higher they go the softer they get on where progressive attitudes do and don't have a place in the core business objectives of their employers.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Disney's downfall has nothing to do with any legislation by anyone.

Normal people, 95% of the population, have NO interest in "entertainement" designed to appeal to gays/woke.
It's abhorrent to most of us.
Thereby plunging Disney+ subscriptions and movie ticket sales

No amount of whiny attempts at indoctrination by LGBTPs will change that.

Sure, Disney is free to make movies for the gay/woke community, but that is a very small market
If Disney wants to survive, it needs to make entertainment similar to that it made for decades, e.g. that appeals to the majority, gay free, woke free normal folks

edit on 19-5-2023 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Narvasis

6K per night for a family of four? No reason need be given!

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Narvasis

LOL. The reason for that closure is that it cost $6K for a two night stay. I imagine that not many people could afford that. They will probably repurpose that hotel into a something different.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Their financial results at link beg to differ on the downfall part.

thewaltdisneycompany.com...

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   

The "synagogue of Satan" is imploding because evil cannot create, but only destroy, mostly themselves.
It is inevitable.
What passes for pop-culture entertainment needs a cleansing anyway.
Bring back the Muse into amusement, I say!

#millstones

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Did the "Florida Parental Rights in Education Act" (DONT SAY GAY) cause the downfall of Disney?

no being to big for their britches did.
and there is no don't say gay in the act at all, nowhere even in the title that is just woketard hyperbole.

edit on 19-5-2023 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: AllAnIllusion

lol i like it, ill try not to violate your TM*

so...by definition, do you see this as a net positive in the long term?
Is this just a bump in the road?
I guess my question is based on my assumption that people learn from their mistakes...
edit on 19pm311200000023 by datguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

there you have it. Going woke and alienating a portion of your customer base is the true way to riches.
Disney is doing fantastic just as Bud Light is selling like #ing hotcakes.

No, you don't need to have your own facts, just trust in the narrative you are being told. This is all working perfectly, and there is really no push back on any of these companies. It's all in your mind.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   

and still share prices were down 11% on bad earnings and took lots of flak for "dragging" down the DOW
I will concede that this was reported as mostly due to declining disney+ memberships
Also currently down more than 50% since march of 2021
with a current market cap of almost 170 BILLION, that means they have lost more than that in the past 2 years

wait and see?

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: datguy

and still share prices were down 11% on bad earnings and took lots of flak for "dragging" down the DOW
I will concede that this was reported as mostly due to declining disney+ memberships
with a current market cap of almost 170 BILLION, that means they have lost more than that in the past 2 years

wait and see?

Edit to add: Institutional shareholders
These are some big players, losing big money in a turbulent market, how long are they gonna hold those shares?

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I hope it's generally more of a trip down a dead end road and at some point there'll be the realisation that continuing to follow the Sat-Nav once you realise it's the wrong route will lead to a turn-around or re-evaluation of direction.

I fear it's already gathered the momentum of a runaway train in many cases and will result in some inevitable crashes.

I don't see Disney as the Litmus test for this because many of those availing of leisure activities don't choose them because of the politics and don't care even if they have them, so they will probably be able to salvage large parts of their business even after collapse.

Where it really has the potential to cause the most damage is in the public sector and associated industries (healthcare for example). Those systems are already collapsing and once they do they are very difficult to restart or recreate.

I'm personally aware of an organisation that has just had lots of layoffs - Their DEI department was untouched as far as I know with the older time served employees taking the brunt of the impact ... Make of that what you will.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 01:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: datguy

wait and see?

wait and see? The link explains Disney's upcoming construction plan just for the park and resort...Frozen and maybe Star Wars land. Who doesn't like Frozen?

wanderingindisney.com...#:~:text=Star%20Wars%20and%20Frozen%20in,part%20of%20this%20plan%20anymor e

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 01:17 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

Liking a thing and forking over $6000/night for its hotel facsimile are very, very different.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Liking a thing and forking over $6000/night for its hotel facsimile are very, very different.

I mean really the family's walking skills should be up to snuff so there are many affordable hotel rooms less than 1 km away from the park.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 01:28 PM
link   

ummm, did you read the blog?

its not all roses....

Splash Mountain Closing – Late Spring 2023

Tomorrowland Refresh (MK) – Now through 2023?
"While I doubt anyone is actually booking a trip based on these changes, I do think they are essential to Magic Kingdom"

Mary Poppins Attraction (Epcot) – Postponed

Marvel attraction – 2024?
"More details will come and there’s a chance that this could be canceled or significantly delayed."

Star Wars and Frozen in WDS – 2023 and beyond
"There’s a chance that Star Wars isn’t a part of this plan anymore."

"Disney’s five-year plans hardly ever sticks to schedule so don’t take this as gospel"

<<   2 >>

join