It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Introduction Threads

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
These new introduction threads are great and all, but theyre flooding the New Posts, especially on BTS. I think when a member is first allowed to become a member that they should be given a link to the Introduction Forum, and be allowed to post an Intro if they feel like it, and not automatically do it. Because there are alot of the automatic Introduction threads clogging up the side panel New Posts and the New Posts page.

Any thoughts?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
You could use the myNew instead of the New post button. Just don't put the introductions forum in your MyAts list and you won't see them at all.

This is actually a superior function since you can see ATS, BTS, and PTS forums in this view.

[edit on 8-4-2005 by dbates]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Yeah I know, but when your looking at the main page on BTS you see nearly the entire New Posts section filled with these new Introduction threads, and if its going to be these alot of the time then wahts the point?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:21 PM
link   
When newly approved members get their confirmation email, it includes a link to their introduction thread. The idea is to give them a friendly "hello" upon their first encounter as a new member.

I think this will go a long way toward helping new members get off on the right start.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Holy crap there sure is alot of introduction threads , Its unbelievable, On the main bts page all the recent post are those Welcome New ATS Member. how many Threads are being pushed down the list with this? I understand it nice for people to get a nice new welcome but Damn I just never realized how many new members this place gets a day.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:08 PM
link   
new members MUST post in the intro forum???

wow...

i didn't know this...

BTW DLM, you are right...

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I find no problem with it at all. I tend to agree with SO here, the members will feel welcome and can hopefully start a friendly trip through ATS.

I don't see huge masses of threads of these. I see plenty, but I see far far more threads on all the other topics (as I should).

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by bordnlazy
Holy crap there sure is alot of introduction threads , Its unbelievable, On the main bts page all the recent post are those Welcome New ATS Member

If you go to the top of the page, you will see some buttons to click, starting with "log out" on the left.
About halfway down, you will se MyATS and myNEW. You can decide which forums to follow by editing each ON or off on the myATS page. Only the forums you turn ON will display on the myNEW page.
Hope this helps

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
When newly approved members get their confirmation email, it includes a link to their introduction thread. The idea is to give them a friendly "hello" upon their first encounter as a new member.

I think this will go a long way toward helping new members get off on the right start.
I've jumped on everysingle one of them this morning and encouraged each one to post something that interests them so we get some new stories going. They might as well start quickly so we dont have pages of intros.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
These new introduction threads are great and all, but theyre flooding the New Posts

I agree, i was thinking this earlier. I know its nice to greet new members but there are loads. I prefered the old way where new members could say hello if and when they choose. When i look earlier about 20% of the threads listed in the 75 most recent posts where introductions.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:20 AM
link   
i noticed this too its a pretty large percentage compared to actual post. I think the main problem is that all seem to come out at the same time. so you get like 5-12 coming at once.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yeah it floods out the real posts in ATS and BTS. On BTS it's practically ALL introduction threads soemtimes....

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by cpr12r
Yeah it floods out the real posts in ATS and BTS. On BTS it's practically ALL introduction threads soemtimes....

I agree there is a lot of them 40 + in Politics, but I think it will thin out.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
BuT WHAT if IT DoeSN"T
what if it Just keeps like this and the only post from now on Will be Intro threads. J/k i'm sure it wouldn't seem so bad if they weren't all posted at the same time like i said above, spread them out a bit.

[edit on 10-4-2005 by bordnlazy]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   
When I first saw the new system I thought, "aw, man this sucks." But actually it's pretty cool. I havn't welcomed new members in a while and you get to welcome many in one shot. I have grown to like it. So you have to scroll a little more...boohoo. Or maybe you'll even have to click the "last 75" button...OUCH, my finger!! all the extra work!! Crybabies.
I remember being welcomed as a new member and it felt great! I actually felt welcome. I believe that welcoming new members is very conducive to the "community feel" of ATS. So, quit your whining and welcome some new members!

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:40 AM
link   
You tell them Poonchang.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Yes I too enjoyed being welcomed. However auto-maticcly making a new post to welcome them rather then them introducing themselves seems like something that doesn't really have to happen. I know I enjoyed introducing myself and talking about who I was and what I was looking for in these forums and that sort of thing.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I brought this up a couple of days ago, and the thread was locked in no time.

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

I'm not against welcoming members but, it does clog up recent posts, and I don't like that.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 12:28 PM
link   
What if they(the new members) were given liberty to choose the title of their introduction thread?

I remember when I was welcomed and I appreciated it......part of the reason why I stayed......so I think it is relevant to have the welcome wagon there....

I'm in partial(most?) disagreement with how the threads are presented however......probably just me, but the title 'welcome a new ATS member....' seems like a subtle imploration. Reminds me of the annoying thread titles that include 'read me', or something to that effect.......

[edit on 10-4-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   

<<   2 >>

join