It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Dual-core Opterons to debut early

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:55 AM
link   
AMD will announce at an event on April 21 in New York that the first dual-core Opteron processors are available, months ahead of schedule, sources familiar with the situation said. The Sunnyvale, California-based chipmaker also is expected to announce its dual-core chips for personal computers will go on sale in June.

uk.news.yahoo.com

In an attempt to encourage rapid adoption, AMD will sell some of the new chips at the same prices as the corresponding single-core models they'll replace, a source familiar with the products said. The company is expected to first release its high-end and more expensive 800 series Opterons, which are geared for servers with four or eight chips, with lower-end 200 series models coming in May.

The Opteron availability date is ahead of the company's summer launch schedule, but AMD chief executive Hector Ruiz hinted that manufacturing was going well, saying in February: "Sometimes things happen and you might do better."

Expected pricing for the processors ranges from $851 (£453) for the Opteron 265 to $1,299 for the Opteron 275. For more powerful chips in the 800 series, prices range from $1,514 for the Opteron 865 to $2,649 for the Opteron 875.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have to say this is a very important manoveur for AMD as it sets the target for Intel. Whether or not Intel can follow in AMD's footsteps remains to be seen.

But by no means is this a one horse race for AMD as sales of Intel servers with 64-bit Xeon processors quickly surpassed those of Opteron machines in 2004, according to Gartner. But AMD do have support from the likes of IBM, HP and Sun.

I hope that the prices of these new chips will go down quickly as I an only aford to spend £100!

[edit on 8/4/05 by GodAtum]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I am getting My first AMD processor in about a week It is an Older model but right I am running Intel Celeron so hey it I can not complain

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Big deal!!! Faster isn't always better....just ask my wife LOL!!! No actually Apple has been selling dual processor systems for years and they were the first to come out with 64 bit processors (their current g-5's), besides Mac's are built like the proverbial brick #house, what good is speed when Dells and Gateways and the like are just slapped together and fall apart like # in the rain? Mac's all the way across the board are a better buy.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
Big deal!!! Faster isn't always better....just ask my wife LOL!!! No actually Apple has been selling dual processor systems for years and they were the first to come out with 64 bit processors (their current g-5's), besides Mac's are built like the proverbial brick #house, what good is speed when Dells and Gateways and the like are just slapped together and fall apart like # in the rain? Mac's all the way across the board are a better buy.

Unfortunately, for the more rabid pundits amongst us, Mac's stuff is not the business stnadard.... Sux, eh?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
This is why Macs sell better...because people don't learn the technology before bragging about the shiny or pastel plastic case.

Dual-core is *not* dual processor. I've got an old Pentium box righ here running two 500mhz P3's. The high end Macs run dual processors, Dual core is a different class altogether.

Of course, Motorla would easily produce a dual-core processor, but why bother when they can sell iPods and shiny titanuim laptops (now those look cool-but when they make a cantalope with a screen..and the eMac..) and price equivalent systems at 30-40% more?

Now the Cell processor..now when they release a true version of that...if mac decides to jump on that wagon-they'll have a system that appeals more to just trendy folks and the Starbucks/art house crowd.

I wonder how hot these DC Opterons run, temperature wise. And can Windoze or Linux properly utilize the configuration?

Originally posted by grover

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Having had a windows based IBM clone and Mac's, I would never go back....my "trendy" odd looking E-Mac does everything I need it to do, more efficently and better than the clone ever did. The only reason windows systems are dominate is that they are cheap (cheap to buy and cheaply put together) and microsoft works like anheser bush, they flood the market with their product, you cannot convince me that windows is a better system when I know better anymore than you can convince me that bush is a great leader or that that clydesdale piss with alcohol added is beer.

new topics

top topics

join