It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Critical Windows Patch on the Way

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Although Microsoft issued no security patches last month, on April 12, they will issue eight security bulletins that have maximum aggregate severity ratings of critical. Patches will be included for Windows, Office, Messenger, and Exchange. A TechNet Webcast will be available on April 13, at GMT-08:00. Microsoft will also disable the means by which patches can be downloaded without downloading SP2, thereby forcing those who download the critical patches to also download the Service Pack.

news.com.com
Microsoft will provide a variety of patches, some of them critical, when it delivers its monthly batch of security updates next Tuesday.

In a notice posted to its Web site Thursday, Microsoft said to expect critical fixes for Windows, Office, MSN Messenger and Exchange. In all, the software maker said it is planning to release eight patches, five of them for Windows.

In addition, Microsoft will release a new version of its malicious software removal tool, which is a sort of basic antiviral software that removes specific known bugs from a machine. The company said it will have two high-priority Windows upgrades that are not related to security issues that will be made available via its automatic Windows Update service.

The software maker had no regularly scheduled security patches last month, after releasing a dozen updates in February. That month, the company also fixed a security hole in its the digital rights technology within Windows Media Player.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I've had SP2 on my machine since August and have had no problems related to it. In fact, my machine has been far less vulnerable to malware, in my judgement. I also run the beta version of Microsoft Anti-Spyware and a host of others. Consider this post as a heads up, as it was about this time last year that Microsoft patched the vulnerability that made the Blaster worms possible and many were caught off guard because they hadn't downloaded the patches in time.

Related News Links:
msevents.microsoft.com
www.microsoft.com
bpm-today.newsfactor.com
www.windowsitpro.com

[edit on 05/4/8 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
As someone who had to rebuild two out of three of my relatives' machines that were damaged by the SP2 install, let me remind folks that it isn't all sunshine and kittens.

If it's not going on a clean, fresh OS install system, there is a very high rate of failure. For a customer-release, and marketing-pushed "upgrade", it is inexcuseable that such a high failure rate occurred. And even worse, the rollback function is almost totally ineffective.

New people to the computer world, my mother, for example. I've been on her case since she bought the system to be careful of what is downloaded, and to make sure to update security and patches frequently. So when SP2 came out, and it was officially and definitely from microsoft, my mom decides she's gonna be brave and folow the simple instructions, without bothering her kids to get it done.

BLAMMO. System is hosed, and it takes two weeks of remote login and phone tech support from myself, and one of my stepdad's administrator co-workers, to get the system even mostly functional.

Now, Mom's back to being afraid to do anyting like simple security updates on her system again.

Thanks, Microsoft. I appreciate you scaring the hell out of my mother and having her completely lose confidence in what she's learned about PC's.

Glad you can go a whole month without the need for a patch, Microsoft. Of course, is this simply because you've decided not to address a few recent flaws because the exploits are either not in the wild yet, or you've suppressed them successfully, like Bugtraq?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I've had SP2 on my machine since August and have had no problems related to it. In fact, my machine has been far less vulnerable to malware, in my judgement.

My boss had his WiFi card permanently disabled after he did the SP2. He had to buy a USB WiFi dingle to be able to work. On many people's machines, there were various AFS issues etc.

Unacceptable.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I just bought a new computer, and they installed the service pack for me before I took it home. It wasn't a problem until I installed the DSL software, which hosed my computer so bad, I had to re-boot in safe mode. Luckily, a system restore fixed it. I was able to activate my account, and now I'm using firefox browser. They told me the service pack was to blame. Microsoft needs to do a better job testing before releasing their service packs, or send notices when it might affect other software.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
No doubt this thing'll make things worse for people new to PCs

BBC News - Warning over fake Windows update

[edit on 8/4/05 by Hyperen]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   
The best way to handle Microsoft updates is to have use Automatic Updates. Mine are downloaded automatically, but I decide when I want them installed.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I hate to be off topic, but our new friend Has 49 news stories and he just got here.

Whats up ?

Hal9000

Contributor: 49
show all articles

[edit on 8-4-2005 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Coding is ongoing and there are bugs. My total was jumping around like a Mexican jumping bean for awhile. It's correct now.

According to this, HAL9000 has no submissions.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join