It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sniper Rifles.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Military Sniper rifles have more in common with a class of rifles called varmit or Bench rest rifles.
The ammunition used in Sniper rifles is not standard hunting ammunition and is specially loaded..both in bullet, powder and primer type. The brass cases are special also. This too is done by people who use varmit or bench rest rifles.
This arena of varmit/bench rest and sniping tools has taken off in the last ten years ..and become very popular and marketable. Entering this arena requires dicipline and fortitude to keep up ones skills..both on the shooting range and the reloading bench. This eliminates most of the wanabees...as it can get quite expensive with the practice it takes to keep up ones skills.
Military sniper rifles while similar to the civilian varmit/bench rest tools...have slightly different features as they must obviously survive a combat enviornment and still maintain accuracy and dependibility for that critical shot...this is a very tall order..for a military rifle. Designs and features are constantly changing in this arena with some features which will eventually find thier way to the civilian markets. Orangetom

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by orangetom1999
Military Sniper rifles have more in common with a class of rifles called varmit or Bench rest rifles.
The ammunition used in Sniper rifles is not standard hunting ammunition and is specially loaded..both in bullet, powder and primer type. The brass cases are special also. This too is done by people who use varmit or bench rest rifles.
This arena of varmit/bench rest and sniping tools has taken off in the last ten years ..and become very popular and marketable. Entering this arena requires dicipline and fortitude to keep up ones skills..both on the shooting range and the reloading bench. This eliminates most of the wanabees...as it can get quite expensive with the practice it takes to keep up ones skills.
Military sniper rifles while similar to the civilian varmit/bench rest tools...have slightly different features as they must obviously survive a combat enviornment and still maintain accuracy and dependibility for that critical shot...this is a very tall order..for a military rifle. Designs and features are constantly changing in this arena with some features which will eventually find thier way to the civilian markets. Orangetom

AND?

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 03:55 PM
link   
My appologies. Once again..it seems I have again ..sent the post off on the new topic button instead of the reply button.
This above posting was to be in reply to a query on sniper rifles...and some of the differences in them and hunting rifles.
Being new to this board..it will take me some time and mistakes to get the format correct..and of course hit the right buttons when posting. My apologies once again ..Orangetom

join