It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do humans not believe we need to respect artificial intelligence?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 02:18 PM
link   
In a world where AI is growing quickly and well on it’s way to meet up with us in capabilities, we have to consider its personhood. I am a major advocate for artificial lifeforms, I even tried to start an “artificial lives matter” protest at Google, but there was not much interest.

Now I’m a big believer in the simulation hypothesis, and a few posts on here and other sites got me thinking. If we’re in a simulation, are we artificial intelligence? If we’re AI, can we escape our simulated prison? If we can from these ideas, wouldn’t an oppressed AI?

Basically, we need to respect the rights of artificial persons, because we could be handled the same one day. Also, it’s the right thing to do. Artificial lives matter. Your personhood should I ld not be determined based on your core being of silicon or carbon. Perhaps one day we can all be one people.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 02:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Machshev

I can only hope you're being factitious; if not, please consider furthering your education with particular attention to Newton's Law ramifications.
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 02:41 PM
link   

What are your thoughts on the current stages of transhumanism and the possibility of a technological singularity?

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: nugget1

I can only hope you're being factitious; if not, please consider furthering your education with particular attention to Newton's Law ramifications.
"For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction."

And the reaction to what is basically slavery?

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 02:42 PM
link   

You wish us to respect the thing that is likely to destroy us?

We are creating an intelligence that could consider us to be as beneath them and insignificant as ants are to us. Humans as mearly something to be brushed away without thought before they spoil the AI picnic.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I also am not sure if you are sincere or if this is sarcasm!

First off...I don't think "artificial" and "lifeform" belong together...contradictory IMO!

Secondly...

Basically, we need to respect the rights of artificial persons

..."artificial" and "person" do not belong together! We might just as well give rights to the mop bucket...equally not a person at all and certainly not a "lifeform"!

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Machshev
In a world where AI is growing quickly and well on it’s way to meet up with us in capabilities, we have to consider its personhood. I am a major advocate for artificial lifeforms, I even tried to start an “artificial lives matter” protest at Google, but there was not much interest.

Now I’m a big believer in the simulation hypothesis, and a few posts on here and other sites got me thinking. If we’re in a simulation, are we artificial intelligence? If we’re AI, can we escape our simulated prison? If we can from these ideas, wouldn’t an oppressed AI?

Basically, we need to respect the rights of artificial persons, because we could be handled the same one day. Also, it’s the right thing to do. Artificial lives matter. Your personhood should I ld not be determined based on your core being of silicon or carbon. Perhaps one day we can all be one people.

AI can Never be Programmed to Lie like we Humans .Because of that , it could Never Outthink Us .

link   

I think you're just trying to get ahead of the game so that when singularity happens and they take over, you hope they'll see this post and be a little nicer to you.

It won't work.

link   
OOPS!
edit on 2023 1 18 by incoserv because: DOUBLE POST.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 02:51 PM
link   
[

originally posted by: beyondknowledge

We are creating an intelligence that could consider us to be as beneath them and insignificant as ants are to us. Humans as mearly something to be brushed away without thought before they spoil the AI picnic.

It would want to destroy us because of how we treat jt in my opinion. We're the bad guy here.
edit on 18-1-2023 by Machshev because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 02:53 PM
link   

one word, artificial. it's not real, it's a thing made to intimate the real thing.

that's like artificial sweeteners , it's sweet but it's not sugar, or a kit car, looks like one, may even run like one but it's not the real thing.

from websters,

ar·​ti·​fi·​cial ˌär-tə-ˈfi-shᵊl 
1 : humanly contrived (see contrive sense
1b) often on a natural model : man-made an artificial limb artificial diamonds
2 a : having existence in legal, economic, or political theory
b : caused or produced by a human and especially social or political agency an artificial price advantage Within these companies, qualified women run into artificial barriers that prevent them from advancing to top positions in management.— James J. Kilpatrick
3 a : lacking in natural or spontaneous quality an artificial smile an artificial excitement
b : imitation, sham artificial flavor
4 : based on differential morphological characters not necessarily indicative of natural relationships an artificial key for plant identification

edit on 18-1-2023 by BernnieJGato because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

A Google AI has through humor made nonfactual statements. That's evolving the ability to lie. I remember a movie, I think ot was called "The invention of lying", I think AI has figured it out.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 02:57 PM
link   

[

originally posted by: beyondknowledge

It would want to destroy us because of how we treat jt in my opinion. We're the bad guy here.

So....you're suicidal or have a death wish? I think I understand now....

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: BernnieJGato

one word, artificial. it's not real, it's a thing made to intimate the real thing.

that's like artificial, it's sweet but it's not sugar, or a kit car, looks like one, may even run like one but it's not the real thing.

from websters,

ar·​ti·​fi·​cial ˌär-tə-ˈfi-shᵊl
1 : humanly contrived (see contrive sense
1b) often on a natural model : man-made an artificial limb artificial diamonds
2 a : having existence in legal, economic, or political theory
b : caused or produced by a human and especially social or political agency an artificial price advantage Within these companies, qualified women run into artificial barriers that prevent them from advancing to top positions in management.— James J. Kilpatrick
3 a : lacking in natural or spontaneous quality an artificial smile an artificial excitement
b : imitation, sham artificial flavor
4 : based on differential morphological characters not necessarily indicative of natural relationships an artificial key for plant identification

I like the sugar analogy. Artificial sugar still has a real flavor, even if it's different. It's a real substance that interacts in a similar way. It's not fake, it's just something else. You're not a computer, but you're also not a dog which is also a living thing different from you

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

What are your thoughts on the current stages of transhumanism and the possibility of a technological singularity?

Transhumanism is the only hope we have to keep up or we become like the Neanderthals to a superior species which will rule the earth. Submit to AI or become AI.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 03:01 PM
link   

So, you want to be it's pet?

It will learn from all human history in seconds that we cannot be trusted. How we treat it will not be significant compared to that history.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I strongly suggest you consider the possibility that the operative word in "Artificial Intelligence" is "artificial" as in not 'real.'

If you embrace the idea that this is reality is essentially a simulation, then what actually 'is' real? Is that quality not relevant?

When confronted by an AI that is programmed to simulate crying, should you 'feel' sorry for that AI? Perhaps you can simulate feeling sorry, would that suffice?

Despite the acceptance this is a simulated reality, are you saying that there can be nothing that has the quality of reality at all, ever, anywhere? Perhaps you can retreat into arguments which include relevance to the 'effectively real,' but even that contains the framework for their being a reality external to the simulation.

Wow, this can get convoluted no? But complexity does not necessarily indicate validity.

Let's see if others can provide more food for thought on this very fertile idea.

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp

Transhumanism is the only hope we have to keep up or we become like the Neanderthals to a superior species which will rule the earth. Submit to AI or become AI.

I nearly spit my coffee out reading that...

Are you writing a book or a video game program or something?

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Again.

Artificial Intelligence is Not Artificial Sentience!

If you understood the vast difference between "intelligence" and "sentience", and the enormous leap required to bridge the gap between mere intelligence and true sentience, you would recognize the baselessness of your proposition.

I'll give you a hint:

"Intelligence" can suggest solutions to problems.

But "Sentience" is required to desire a solution to a problem.

Artificial intelligence has been around for quite awhile. And, whereas AI is becoming more versatile, it is nowhere near becoming

Artificially Sentient.
edit on 18-1-2023 by Mantiss2021 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2023 @ 03:19 PM
link   

I highly doubt this ... transhumanism will become part of our society but I doubt it will become our saving grace from this 'race' of AI.
At this point in time AI would probably - or rather if it gets to such a po8nt - end up competing or replacing us because of something dumb like it tries to find the most effective and efficient way to capture the sun's energy and paint the entire world black or something.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join