It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian and Catholic?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
I would like to know if anyone knew the actual differneces between the two religions. Whenever I try to use google I get some wierd sites talking about each church at war with one another...etc. So I would really apreaciate if I could get some response cause this issue has been bothering me for some time now. Thank you in advanced for all that contribute.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Final
I would like to know if anyone knew the actual differneces between the two religions.

The RCC teaches that a system of "works" is needed to finish your salvation, and even then you'll go to purgatory for an indeterminate period of time.

True christianity is Jesus took your sins upon Himself. Accept what He's ALREADY DONE and your sins are forgiven and you are restored into a right relationship with God. You are declared no longer guilty.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
From priest being able to marry and father children, too other christian churches allowing 'other dinominations' to receive communion in their church - whereas the RCC do not allow this.

To me, being Christian is far more loving and God-like than the predjudices and hypocrisy of the RCC.

Cheers

[edit on 17-4-2005 by sanse_nz]

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
The differences in what they believe compared to other christians? You need to seach both what they believe, why they beleive it, and where does that beliefe come from. I don't have time to go into it now. Interesting story though.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Catholicism is a subset of Christianity. There are many, many different Christian religions, and subsets within each of those. Saying you are 'Christian' is like saying you are 'European.' You might be French, German, English, Italian, etc, but you are still European. Similarly, if you are French, you might be from Paris, Toulouse, Marseilles, etc. I'll give you a few examples of what I mean, starting with myself.

I am a Christian. I belong to the Mormon faith. There are several different Mormon religions; by far the largest is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, which is the one I am a member of.

My grandma, as another example, is also a Christian. She is a Catholic. She belongs to the Roman Catholic Church, the largest branch of Catholicism.

A former co-worker of mine is also a Christian. He is currently working on a masters degree in theology, and his goal is to become a minister in the Seventh Day Adventist church, of which he is a member.

So, to get back to your question, Christianity is an extremely wide label, and includes dozens if not hundreds of different 'flavors' of religion within it.

posted on Apr, 17 2005 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I believe another big difference is Catholicism believes that you need the chirch to connect with god, and by confessing your sins they are forgiven...

Protestant chirstianity, believes you can be connected with god individually, and a sin is a sin... confession is an easy way out. Its how you live your life that matters...

Now thats my understanding but i could be wrong

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   
SATAN BE GONE!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:15 AM
link   
christian or cahtolic, a catholic christian, a baptist christian, a mormon christian, methodist, protestant, orthodox, pentacostal, angelican, etc.... I can go on for a while but there is one thing in comon with all of these churches, they all are christian or form of christianity. All derived from the same source. christianity as a whole is not one church but sevaral of all differnt types and sizes. Catholicism is probably one of the most known of the churches but it is a christian based belief.
Thats about how it goes.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Christian ....meaning a follower of Christ.....

To get the true Christian Church, you must do your History of the church...(yeh, ok,the church is man made and so on.......No it's not! )......

Get back to the teachings of Christ......and what He taught the Apostles....(man corrupted the truth!.....yep heard it before)

The Old Testament and the New Testament are the truth......the Bible is the WORD of God.........(again man is at fault and changed it!)

The problem is many people want their own Rules and whatever feels comfortable .....they want a relaxed life and beleive that whatever their mind tells them......without truly researching the true Word of God...
Instead going to the Forged Gospels and the many other books that suuposedly have the TRUTH.......this for them is better because it so fits in their life......
All people have the knowledge to seek out the truth........but their time does not allow it..being one thing or another.....
helen.....

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Helen, you say the church is not man-made.

I have some questions for you. We will take this step by step.

First, what was the first organized church called specifically? It might be a little tough, but you should know this due to your christian backround.

Second, what year approximately was it instituted?

That should be a good start.

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
When the question of what is a Christian comes up Romans 8:14 comes to mind.

"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God."

The chapter expounds on this idea, so please read it for more details.

Steve

posted on Apr, 18 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Well, maybe you are at work.

Here are some more questions.

Who built your particular church? Where were the bricks made? Who printed that book you read from on rare occasions?

new topics

top topics

join