It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stanford University's "Harmful Language Initiative." SMH ...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

Correct.
People talk about how great the 60/70ss were, forgetting things like mass protests, drug overdoses everywhere, racism, asbestos, "you will marry a rich man and like it" attitudes, and... gasp... the draft.

I agree with most of your points. Here's my problem with Stanford's maneuver, though. Hear me out.
There is too much force and focus on emotion. "These words are harmful. These words are hostile." It's rhetoric.
For example, walk-in is not harmful. If I was in a wheel chair, I wouldn't be one bit offended by the term "walk-in". That's just silly.

Oppression has always been everywhere. The world needs less of it, not more of it. Remember when women couldn't vote? When people of color had to use different bathrooms? That wasn't so long ago.

Things need to keep evolving to a more inclusive world, but not by dropping the gavel on otherwise simple things like the word "American". There's a point where it's just ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: servovenford

I agree with most of your points. Here's my problem with Stanford's maneuver, though. Hear me out. There is too much force and focus on emotion. "These words are harmful. These words are hostile." It's rhetoric. For example, walk-in is not harmful. If I was in a wheel chair, I wouldn't be one bit offended by the term "walk-in". That's just silly.

I think it’s silly if there weren’t more suitable words, but there are.

Walk in hours or
Open hours

To me Open hours sounds a lot better and should have been used in the first place.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:18 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

That's a great term, and I agree. Open hours sounds inviting and welcoming.

But that still doesn't make "Walk In" offensive. Inferior, perhaps, but not offensive.

Is it going to be offensive one day to stand up and walk next to someone in a wheel chair?

Is it going to be offensive to be an American?

Language can fuel bigger issues. This is why we need to be careful when it comes to telling people what they can or cannot say.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Is it going to be offensive to be an American?

Actually I did have someone take offense to my usage of American once. They were Canadian.

Maybe they are going to merge us!

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
I wonder how some speak to each other in their own home.

Like normal human beings, I don't imagine most of us are dropping N bombs left and right at home. Although I still do reserve the right to call a person or thing retarded. For those with issues with that, I ask that you retard your anger some as it is only a word.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: servovenford

Correct.
People talk about how great the 60/70ss were, forgetting things like mass protests, drug overdoses everywhere, racism, asbestos, "you will marry a rich man and like it" attitudes, and... gasp... the draft.

I agree with most of your points. Here's my problem with Stanford's maneuver, though. Hear me out.
There is too much force and focus on emotion. "These words are harmful. These words are hostile." It's rhetoric.
For example, walk-in is not harmful. If I was in a wheel chair, I wouldn't be one bit offended by the term "walk-in". That's just silly.

I'm 76, so I go back to the early 50s. I was a senior in high school when the Civil Rights Act was passed.

Girls were forced to wear dresses to school.

You hid those that didn't fit in society.

Schools had Christmas pageants -- if you were Jewish, you just kept your mouth shut.

My mom was a polio victim in the 51/52 epidemic. I can tell you we were refused admittance to some places and kicked out of restaurants because other customers complained. Equality for the disabled had to be FORCED.

"Walk-in" may seem silly -- but awareness by not using it isn't.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:44 PM
link   

They should merge the Dakotas and Virginias while they're at it!

You know, I had a discussion with a Canadian once about the term American, too. You just reminded me of this event.
The Canadian said, "well technically I'm also American because I'm in North America, but then people from South America could claim that too, thus we're all Americans in North and South America, if you look at it that way."
I can't remember how the conversation started. No one was particularly offended, but he did go off on quite a tangent about it. He was laughing a bit.

Not to derail the thread or anything. It's technically on topic.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

originally posted by: Annee
I wonder how some speak to each other in their own home.

Like normal human beings, I don't imagine most of us are dropping N bombs left and right at home. Although I still do reserve the right to call a person or thing retarded. For those with issues with that, I ask that you retard your anger some as it is only a word.

You’d be wrong about that.

My daughter started dating this guy. He was dropping the N word and even made fun of Asians.
He couldn’t understand why she dumped him so hard.

She IS Asian although she doesn’t look it, She IS named after a black woman, although you’d never know.

Here is the weird thing, I’m Wasian (White/Asian) You would not believe the racist diatribe I’ve heard in my life.
Oddly when I’m in certain groups I become an honorary member, white folks often think I’m white and I’ve heard some CRAZY racist stuff. Black folks think I’m “minority enough” and I’ve heard some crazy racist stuff.
Asians obviously think I’m one of them and they just about hate everyone and might be the most racist people on the planet.

But yes, people say weird stuff!

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:50 PM
link   

You know, I had a discussion with a Canadian once about the term American, too. You just reminded me of this event. The Canadian said, "well technically I'm also American because I'm in North America, but then people from South America could claim that too, thus we're all Americans in North and South America, if you look at it that way."

That is EXACTLY what was said to me. I wonder if that is their speech they give to all Middle Earth Americans 😂

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Yes. And I think a lot of us are glad it isn't like that anymore. Even veterans were disrespected when they came home from Vietnam. They were treated like second class citizens, even though they were sent off against their will to endure some of the worst experiences a human can have.

That said, awareness can be shown in many ways. Yes, choosing your words carefully is one way. However, you can be "aware" in other ways without walking on eggshells worrying what innocuous words are going to offend everyone. There is too much "you can't" in a world where there needs more "you can". You can't say this. You can't think that. You can't do that. We need to grow out of this. Sometimes it makes sense, sure, you shouldn't drop an N bomb. Ever. I can't stand slurs or other truly harmful language. Those are words designed to hurt people and thus should not be used.

Just like you couldn't wear pants to school as a girl in the 50s, now you can.
You couldn't be openly gay not long ago, now you can.
You couldn't use the regular entrance as a person of color, now you can.

We need to stop worrying about offending everyone and everything, and start focusing on the things we CAN do. Nitpicking little words like this isn't helping anyone. There are much better ways to display "awareness" than thought control.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:55 PM
link   

That would be the most people aspect. I've been around people from all walks of life, and the only time I've heard blatantly racist language is when I was in the UAE. That's racism that folks here haven't seen since the 50s, I would imagine; it's right up in your face.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Ha!!! You're probably right, I bet they rehearse it just for these occasions. I think it's brilliant, personally.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Can we please just hand out cyanide pills to these retarded #smackers? We might net the Zero Carbon dolts at the same time (yay, removal of a source ceases the additional polluty crud!)

I'm, of course, only half-serious. Or maybe 75% serious.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Hypntick

That would be the most people aspect. I've been around people from all walks of life, and the only time I've heard blatantly racist language is when I was in the UAE. That's racism that folks here haven't seen since the 50s, I would imagine; it's right up in your face.

I've noticed a lot of disgusting language used by some rural southerners. Particularly Tennessee, the Virginias, and parts of rural Florida.
As a "yank" (well, since we're talkin' slurs here), I felt like I needed to take a shower after being around all of that. I'm not easily offended, either... these folks were going off like firecrackers.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 03:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61

Tier 3 - Potentially harmful language used in a non-harmful way (e.g., “apple” can be a derogatory term for a person of Native American descent, but it’s also a computer vendor)

First off, I've never heard of "apple" as a derogatory term.
Second, "apple" isn't just a "computer vendor", IT"S A FRIGGIN' APPLE.

My first husband was native canadian and jokingly called himself an "apple" because it was a judgement that came from his own people because he chose to live a non traditional language and it meant "red on the outside, white on the inside" It was used as an inside joke back then. I've never even heard a non native use it.

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: servovenford

We need to stop worrying about offending everyone and everything, and start focusing on the things we CAN do. Nitpicking little words like this isn't helping anyone. There are much better ways to display "awareness" than thought control.

I'm not sure I agree. I think people's thinking needs to be continuously reminded -- and words are a good way of doing that. Then it becomes automatic.

As I said (and personally experienced all my life -- since I was 5 when my mom contacted polio) -- equality for the disabled had to be FORCED.

And it still does.

How many times have you seen a non-disabled person park in a Handicap zone?

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 04:24 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

Ok, that makes sense. But that term would only be used in a derogatory way between people in that group, like a certain other ethic group will call one of their own an Oreo. There aren't many Native Americans in my area so no wonder I've never heard it.
Thanks for enlightening me

posted on Dec, 20 2022 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Maybe. But maybe not. The "handicap parking" sign is made of words. The signs are everywhere. People see them every day. They constantly remind people.

Yet they still park there.

But yes, I do agree, it is a shame it is so difficult to obtain equality for the disabled. I wish it were easier.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join