It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Physicist Claims To Have Solved the Mystery of Consciousness

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Physicist Claims To Have Solved the Mystery of Consciousness

“Think about it this way,” says Dr. Zakaria Neemeh, a philosopher from the University of Memphis, “when I feel happiness, my brain will create a distinctive pattern of complex neural activity. This neural pattern will perfectly correlate with my conscious feeling of happiness, but it is not my actual feeling. It is just a neural pattern that represents my happiness. That’s why a scientist looking at my brain and seeing this pattern should ask me what I feel, because the pattern is not the feeling itself, just a representation of it.” Because of this, we can’t reduce the conscious experience of what we sense, feel, and think to any brain activity. We can only find correlations to these experiences.

After more than 100 years of neuroscience, we have very strong evidence that the brain is responsible for the creation of our conscious abilities. So how is it possible that these conscious experiences can’t be found anywhere in the brain (or in the body) and can’t be reduced to any neural complex activity?

I thought I'd pop in and post this here for everyone to ponder, I'd love to get others feedback on what this is suggesting. The question then becomes will it eventually be able to be programmable? And if so, from there then where will it lead and what will be the outcome? Could someone theoretically Patent & then own a consciousness? Owning a future entities consciousness? Seems like quite a bizarre line of thinking but that's where this twisted little mind of mine goes

Ummm... It goes on to say...

In the journal Frontiers in Psychology, Dr. Lahav and Dr. Neemeh recently published a new physical theory that claims to solve the hard problem of consciousness in a purely physical way. According to the researchers, when we change our assumption about consciousness and assume that it is a relativistic phenomenon, the mystery of consciousness naturally dissolves. In the paper, the authors developed a conceptual and mathematical framework to understand consciousness from a relativistic point of view. According to Dr. Lahav, the lead author of the paper, “consciousness should be investigated with the same mathematical tools that physicists use for other known relativistic phenomena.”

edit on 11-12-2022 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Sounds like consciousness is still a mystery. As for putting a patient on it, I can see how some people would find that appealing. With how the DNA patient system is going, just need one little DNA sequence change and can claim the whole new species.

So how will patients go with consciousness? Just need to come up some new feeling or emotion then claim the whole person? Sounds like the kind of stuff pirates and slave traders will drool over.

+3 more 
posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 05:41 PM
link   
so actually he 'solved' nothing

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 06:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Maybe I'm 'wrong on the internet' but I think this is a 'chicken or the egg' line of reasoning.

And it is very clear that even ancient philosophy had already pondered the actual paradoxes arising from trying to conceptualize the thought from the thinker using only tools that can identify thought.

I can relate to the fascination regarding the chemical and physical reflections of consciousness activity within living organs like the brain. And I can accept our need to relate to things within the human bio-construct if for no other reason than make analogy useful. (There's an allegorical pun in there somewhere, I think.)

I have to agree that the 'success' of which they speak may only be notional. But is that real, or do I just think it is?

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 06:38 PM
link   
actually I deeply hate these kind of people ,
this kind of reasoning , these people attributing something like this to 'the brain'

you can be sure that they are part of the cabal wanting toinfluence it

This fallen type consciousness of us is so very pityful
it can only see our prison downhere yet doesn't understand it is a prison

only the soul herself
is able to sense that she got locked into a prison
far away from God and his reality

these type articles
are intended to solidify our prison
-- not to get out of it .

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 07:23 PM
link   
... it's always difficult to talk about these things
because they can be so very easily misunderstood

but i mean it in the kindest way
not wanting to hurt anyone

you see please ,
when the soul faces God ,
it is a totally different consciousness
because she will feel it is 'someone other then her'

totally different as what she ever knew

and the only thing that matters
- believe me , the only thing -
is whether that powerful consciousness wants to be benevolent to her

this , and nothing else , matters

what do i care about some human thinking to have located consciousness
in this ape frame we are imprisoned in

it is too pathetic for words

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Consciousness: the weightless, massless phenomena responsible for all societal achievement---After careful consideration and an openminded but critical dive into the proffered thesis I have come the firm conclusion that the theory is a classic example of academic mental masturbation and thinly-disguised doublespeak.

Good try Lahav & Neemeh but frankly I get more philosophical & intellectual yowza from this:

edit on 11-12-2022 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 09:31 PM
link   

You are an atheist and so you don't have access to the truth!

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: kennyb72

You are an atheist and so you don't have access to the truth!

WTH!?

LOL

Okay, that made me laugh *grins. I'm far from an atheist but I'm also not afraid of science and logic based problem solving

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Your title says "physicist".

Your source says:

says Dr. Zakaria Neemeh, a philosopher from the University of Memphis

I dig physics and I dig philosophy but I don't think they are the same thing.

edit on 12/11/2022 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

Yeah Phage Good to see you again. Long time no see
Hey I didn't write the piece & I was just curious and wanted to know what others thought about it and its why I posted it in this forum
edit on 11-12-2022 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Hi.

Physics is what it is. Philosophy likewise.

One is quantifiable the other depends entirely on one's point of view, nothing more, nothing less.

There are a lot of points of view. I find absurdism fun.

Don't take life so seriously,
Lighten up for a little while.

-Joe McDonald

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 10:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
Your title says "physicist".

Your source says:

says Dr. Zakaria Neemeh, a philosopher from the University of Memphis

I dig physics and I dig philosophy but I don't think they are the same thing.

Reading before pontificating disguised as educating tends to sell the desired self-projection much better. Just sayin'. Here ya' go this oughta clear it up, Phage:

According to Dr. Nir Lahav, a physicist from Bar-Ilan University in Israel, “This is quite a mystery since it seems that our conscious experience cannot arise from the brain, and in fact, cannot arise from any physical process.” As bizarre as it sounds, the conscious experience in our brain, cannot be found or reduced to some neural activity...

...After more than 100 years of neuroscience, we have very strong evidence that the brain is responsible for the creation of our conscious abilities...This mystery is known as the hard problem of consciousness. It is such a difficult problem that until a couple of decades ago only philosophers discussed it.

...In the paper, the authors developed a conceptual and mathematical framework to understand consciousness from a relativistic point of view. According to Dr. Lahav, the lead author of the paper, “consciousness should be investigated with the same mathematical tools that physicists use for other known relativistic phenomena.”

edit on 11-12-2022 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

Groovy.

The source presented in the OP is not Dr. Nir Lahav but;

Dr. Zakaria Neemeh, a philosopher from the University of Memphis,

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Groovy.

But the source presented in the OP is not Dr. Nir Lahav but,

Dr. Zakaria Neemeh, a philosopher from the University of Memphis,

Which reinforces my point: You assumed to give a lecture on a quote snippet. Kind of speaks for itself.

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I read the OP.

My bad. Still philosophy is what is and physics is what it is.

Right? Where has consciousness been measured as opposed to speculated about?

My soul is in my left big toe. Prove me wrong.

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Alright

If you two cant play nice together back there I'll turn this thread around and we can just go home

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 10:20 PM
link   

I'm playing they game.

Am I not?

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Still philosophy is what is and physics is what it is. Right?

Yeah. Until science gets all quantum on us!

Where has consciousness been measured as opposed to speculated about?

Exactly. Which, when you think about it, is seemingly quite the egg on the face of scientific materialism. Weightless, massless, yet responsible for all societal achievement as I've said probably a thousand times here & there---because it's striking, singular, and pregnant with profundity.

And no matter how hard "Science" attempts to explain it they just keep sounding foolish talking about it like Lahav & Neemeh.

posted on Dec, 11 2022 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: SLAYER69
Alright

If you two cant play nice together back there I'll turn this thread around and we can just go home
We are playing nice. For us. And I do have some affection for the old fakir for real. But besides that it's actually a developing conversation.

I'm truly curious to hear Phage go a little deep on the topic of consciousness. It's actually one of the more serious conversations a curious soul can have, eh?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join