It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lets talk about the Worlds Fair at the turn of the 20th century

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 25 2022 @ 02:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene
a reply to: DaRAGE

It's a weird rabbit hole...

My favourite rabbit hole!

Not just World Fairs but many old buildings still standing are claimed to be built in short order and are executed at a level that today, though possible, would take at least as long with our modern equipment. Plus, if you look at the populations of these cities at the time, it becomes even more incredible. This is based on census data so it might be under but can't be off by much. An example is Chicago's fair in 1893 which only had a population of 1,099,850. It seems a lot but many will have been women and children as well as portions whose jobs were involved outside of construction. Cities needed farmers for food, people to look after horses, blacksmiths, priests, grocers, and many wealthy wouldn't be doing the hands on construction either. Not that people couldn't be brought in for such events but with the sheer amount of fine construction said to be done in that era, in cities all over north america, I don't think there would be spare manpower.

Ever since I was a kid I was skeptical of the story behind the parliament buildings in Victoria, BC. They are absolutely enormous, and layered in behind as well, so even the front view doesn't give a sense of real size. It was also built in 1983, the main building finished in 1897. So four years isn't crazy sounding until you factor in that the population in 1891 was 16,841 and only grew to 20,816 by 1901. It's also on an island that was mostly dense forest at the time, and many other massive buildings and cathedrals were being built in the area at the same time. In the old days, it probably would take months just to clear the site and level it. Then we have about 7/8 months of rain on the edge of freezing.

Then there are the repeat stories of young, unknown architects winning design competitions, buildings deemed old and demolished shortly after alleged construction, outside of the World Fairs, where one would expect them to be more permanent, and oh so many fires that destroy these amazing buildings shortly after they are finished.

I don't buy the official story. It's a fascinating rabbit hole.

Great thread,

posted on Nov, 25 2022 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

That is the two that peak my interest Chicago and San Francisco 1893 and 1897? as you pointed out the manpower and time do not make sense especially after a life spent in construction

opensfhistory.org...

SF really takes the biscuit 1849 less than 1000 people live there

artsandculture.google.com..."x"%3A0.528234422954257%2C"y"%3A0.575711951979943%2C"z"%3A12%2C"si ze"%3A%7B"width"%3A0.1492697306713118%2C"height"%3A0.8887240356083086%7D%7D

1860 AND THEY DID ALL THAT

Years ago i spent days zooming in on the panoramic ones above , i have a real good eye for detail and was interested in the weathering etc that show on some buildings especially the synagogue and the churches >>

www.alamy.com...
edit on 25/11/2022 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2022 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

Space Needle in Seattle was 1962, Sunsphere in Knoxville was 1982. There have been other things. LA Olympic Stadium in 1984 for the Olympics. But you asked for 1850-1900 so I went with the first thing that popped in my head. I am sure the Louvre could qualify as it was built in the 12th century as a palace and then became an art/history museum in 1793 as a result of the French Revolution.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 01:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

If there was something going on we don't have all the details about it seems to have transcured between 1850 and 1900.

All the other examples are again out of the time-frame in question.

Something happened that left lots of kids as orphans as you have this orphan surge all around the world.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 08:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: igloo

My favourite rabbit hole!

Not just World Fairs but many old buildings still standing are claimed to be built in short order and are executed at a level that today, though possible, would take at least as long with our modern equipment. Plus, if you look at the populations of these cities at the time, it becomes even more incredible. This is based on census data so it might be under but can't be off by much. An example is Chicago's fair in 1893 which only had a population of 1,099,850. It seems a lot but many will have been women and children as well as portions whose jobs were involved outside of construction. Cities needed farmers for food, people to look after horses, blacksmiths, priests, grocers, and many wealthy wouldn't be doing the hands on construction either. Not that people couldn't be brought in for such events but with the sheer amount of fine construction said to be done in that era, in cities all over north america, I don't think there would be spare manpower.

Ever since I was a kid I was skeptical of the story behind the parliament buildings in Victoria, BC. They are absolutely enormous, and layered in behind as well, so even the front view doesn't give a sense of real size. It was also built in 1983, the main building finished in 1897. So four years isn't crazy sounding until you factor in that the population in 1891 was 16,841 and only grew to 20,816 by 1901. It's also on an island that was mostly dense forest at the time, and many other massive buildings and cathedrals were being built in the area at the same time. In the old days, it probably would take months just to clear the site and level it. Then we have about 7/8 months of rain on the edge of freezing.

Then there are the repeat stories of young, unknown architects winning design competitions, buildings deemed old and demolished shortly after alleged construction, outside of the World Fairs, where one would expect them to be more permanent, and oh so many fires that destroy these amazing buildings shortly after they are finished.

I don't buy the official story. It's a fascinating rabbit hole.

Great thread,

The art institute of Chicago is one of those structures left over from the world fair in 1887. When you go there it looks like something built in a different time period it’s amazing. I can’t imagine all the other buildings they destroyed were built like this one. Also most of the architects that were said to design and build these buildings couldn’t replicate it when asked to later on. It’s almost like they found these structures and just started using them as Capitol buildings and city halls. Most have natural ventilation so it’s no need for AC, really amazing rabbit hole.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 09:50 AM
link   

If you build temporary you wouldn't need the big machines and explosives to dismantle the structure.

To the posters taking other world fairs as example for how they saved incredible structures, find an example between 1850 and 1900 to underline your point...

Just look at the cristal palace, they built in 1851 for the great exposition in England. Temporary structure that got relocated and after a fire had to be dismantled with explosives... I mean seriously, the architect went a little of the rails building a temporal structure... , but then there is more with the whole inconsistency of plans that are only sketches, and an incredible time frame to build such an extravagant structure...

The Buildings back in the 19th Century were Destroyed to Cover Up the " Mud Flood " .

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 10:07 AM
link   
The thing about mudfloods is there could be no survivors.
Therefore no 1st hand accounts.
All it would take is an earth axis shift physical or magnetic and certain parts of the planet would trigger volcano's and liquify the earth.

So what if certain groups learned this cycle?
And could come in after and assume power and inherit the structures.
Salt lake city and San Francisco were port cities in the 1700 maps when California was shown to be an Island.
Mormons DID NOT BUILD the extensive underground and existing structures in Provo and SLC like the temple.
And settlers did not build the underground and structures in San Fran.
These ports were built by the people from the caucusus mtn region who came here in big powerful rowboats according to indigenous legend.

Who would want to take credit for all this free masonry and be able to keep and propagate a secret this big?

My own pet theory is this is evidence of jubilees.
A 7x7x7 year event.

posted on Nov, 26 2022 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Terpene

1850-1900 major wars off the top of my head

US Civil War, Crimean War, Franco- Mexican War, various US-Indian wars, Boxer Rebellion, Boer War, France and China that eventually was the basis to the French-Indochina War while the US was in Korea and then became the Vietnam War when the US got involved. Japan and China had both internal conflicts and conflicts with each other.

The borders in Europe were very fluid prior to and the build up towards WWI, although there were no long protracted wars from 1850-1900.

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

There is a whole dark chapter happeningin that time period in Switzerland where child slave labor was widespread, they were called, "Verdingkinder". There is no apparent reason as to where they came from.

posted on Nov, 27 2022 @ 02:28 AM
link   

You know there is an amazing video on youtube narrated by Gene Wilder about the 1893 Chicago worlds fair
definitely worth a watch and is really good to listen to him narrate as well.

Truly a fascinating event , If i were a time traveller i'd definitely attend

I was blown away by some of the things at the fair , never mind Tesla and Westinghouse Illuminated the entire affair.
the machine hall was amazing and the Ferris wheel.

edit on 27-11-2022 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 28 2022 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: sapien82
I watched and really enjoyed the video you posted.
Thanks for posting.

The other day I watched this one:

Apparently, there were human zoos at the Exposition.....and it's shocking.

posted on Jan, 7 2024 @ 02:24 PM
link   
This has been merged with the ridiculous Mudflud and Tartaria! This is actually a Russian Psy-Op and slowly turning people into Russian loving communists who doubt the countries they currently live in!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join