It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who's interested in learning how to fly - underwater?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:25 AM
link   
Paper,

As a leisure craft, I would have thought that no one would want to use them in non-clear water. It is a bit like flying in cloud, people do it to retain currency in IFR but most people prefer clear sky flying.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillHicksRules
Paper,

As a leisure craft, I would have thought that no one would want to use them in non-clear water. It is a bit like flying in cloud, people do it to retain currency in IFR but most people prefer clear sky flying.

Cheers

BHR

As you say it limits their use to leasure craft (for now)

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Does anybody have any info about this General Dynamics submersible aircraft? I am not interested in things like Sea Dart but specially in this. It was able not to only submerse, but also to move underwater [in the pics you can see water jets at the rear part of the fuselage].

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 07:41 AM
link   
I've always thought that the ultimate 'fighter plane' would be one which would go underwater, fly in air and in space. Imagine a carrier sub that launches these beauties underwater, from where some part to attack enemy subs and surface vessels completely untouched. The others meanwhile would race to the surface, fly trought the athmosphere and into low orbit and commence attacks behind enemy lines. Of course this kind of technology doesn't yet exist but who knows. If they'd make missiles with the same design principles then these fighters would indeed be the ultimate thing

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Psyko,

It sounds like a great idea in theory but in practice there are way too many conflicting design pressures on the concept.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 13 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Well only one I can think of is the engine, it would need to operate everywhere. If you have your basic aerodynamic shape and good design I see no problems going underwater or up in the air.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Psyko,

The aerodynamic wingform you would need in the water is significantly different to that needed in air.

To see this concept in action look at a ships propellor and an aircrafts.

Similar conceptual look but significantly different in execution.

Cheers

BHR

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Well if you'd have for example a delta wing design that is good for flying, I see no problem for it underwater assuming that the engines support it.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Rememmber that in one magazine I read about how make the fighter that most base under water.
It was Mig 29, It was student works .. Coool.
Like DPurple. -"Burning in the sky.."

[edit on 14-4-2005 by Fenix F 308]

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Fenrix,

Sorry to be pedantic but could you post that again in English?

Cheers

BHR

top topics

<< 1   >>

join