It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Last Tune- RockaBossa

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Been a while since I've done much musically, as it is difficult to write for me when my mind is consumed with wars, and the terrible state of our world. But I did do this tune about nine months ago. Instrumental piece that transforms itself from a bossa into rock and back and forth. All real instruments I played myself, as usual, plus record, mix, master.

I usually post stuff I do on ATS, but forgot to post this one. In general, this music is a type of fusion- inspired by artists like Jean-Luc Ponty, Pat Metheny, Mahavishnu Orchestra, and more modern fusion bands. And yes, this took a while to write and record. Not easy by any means.

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I like it.
Really grows on ya.
Like all the musical expressions and how they drift apart from each other. Very talented approach.

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Great music. Keep on making more!

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 06:20 PM
link   
I like, exspecially at around 4;50. Say what kinda guitar pedals do you use? Kinda sounds Satchmo-ish(Satriani).
Have you ever heard of Micheal Schenker, and if so do you like his style?
edit on 11 2 2022 by Ilikesecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 06:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ilikesecrets
I like, what kinda guitar pedals do you use? Kinda sounds Satchmo-ish(Satriani).

Running a Fractal Audio AX8, with self-designed patches- and that's it. Very powerful little unit, and sounds great. And yes heard of him, although I can't say I have heard any of his music, although I might have. Thanks for compliments all! That was a tough piece, for sure, especially getting that drum track all the way through in one take. No drum edits- that is a complete take- took around 5 passes.

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 06:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

I like, what kinda guitar pedals do you use? Kinda sounds Satchmo-ish(Satriani).

Running a Fractal Audio AX8, with self-designed patches- and that's it. Very powerful little unit, and sounds great. And yes heard of him, although I can't say I have heard any of his music, although I might have. Thanks for compliments all! That was a tough piece, for sure, especially getting that drum track all the way through in one take. No drum edits- that is a complete take- took around 5 passes.
Oh yea i can tell this took a lot of effort and talent. Are you a music engineer also? Seems you have a good grasp on mixing and recording as well. Great job, makes me want to acheive my goal of at least making one song. It is quite hard indeed. Nice post thanks.

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Ilikesecrets

Not really an engineer, just a hobbyist. But I have been at it a while, as in over 30 years. I have many posts on ATS of music I have either done myself, or recorded/produced, etc. That is a good goal of making your first song. It takes work though, so don't be surprised if you are not too happy with it at first. After a while you get used to the process: First draft, edit, second draft, edit some more, and so on.

I heard a good piece of advice on producing music: Work out everything until everything works. What that means is don't be afraid at all to completely delete sections of music/lyric you have tried, and start over. Make it better everywhere, until there are no weak parts.

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican
a reply to: Ilikesecrets

Not really an engineer, just a hobbyist. But I have been at it a while, as in over 30 years. I have many posts on ATS of music I have either done myself, or recorded/produced, etc. That is a good goal of making your first song. It takes work though, so don't be surprised if you are not too happy with it at first. After a while you get used to the process: First draft, edit, second draft, edit some more, and so on.

I heard a good piece of advice on producing music: Work out everything until everything works. What that means is don't be afraid at all to completely delete sections of music/lyric you have tried, and start over. Make it better everywhere, until there are no weak parts.
That's some real good advice, thanks. I ordered a tascam DP-006, found it too hard to figure out; sent it back.
Instead I got a TASCAM DR-05 for recording, but I bought it too late on a backend of a very sloppy band I was in. I just use it now to record guitar riffs now. But i still have tons of recordings with the band. It was fun at first, but arguments and bickery finally killed it.

What you did by yourself gives me hope that I can do this also.

Thanks, I mean this.

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 11:03 PM
link   
That's fabulous! Being quite senior now, I was under the impression no one has made any 'real' music for decades now!

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 11:34 PM
link   

But i still have tons of recordings with the band. It was fun at first, but arguments and bickery finally killed it.

What you did by yourself gives me hope that I can do this also.

Thanks, I mean this.

Heh, yeah you are experiencing the rough as hell band life, and the main reason I started playing other instruments besides drums. Not all bands are like that though, and I've been in many. But mostly got tired of waiting on others, late shows, no shows, players not practicing parts, too lazies, I mean you name it. To get anything done in original music, you really gotta take the lead. But there are some good cover bands around that take things more seriously, and will get good practices in. It takes a Herculean effort to bring together and keep together an all original band, playing all original music. So doing it on your own becomes a much better option for those that really want to do something and get tired of waiting. The downside is you gotta practice your butt off to get any kind of competency on other instruments.
edit on Wed Nov 2nd 2022 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2022 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Ilikesecrets Mrs TA here. I knew absolutely nothing about the intricasies it takes to write, play instruments, record, mix, and produce a song let alone a complicated song as this. It's amazing and fun to be there from inception to roll out. He's let me listen to what I thought was a finished product...but nope I learned quick not to get attached to one rendition as he kept refining. Sometimes I vehementally hid my frustrations as he tweeked away. But in the end he was always right as the songs he's put out sounded great in the end.

Obviously there's just one musically talented and gifted person in our relationship but hey I can crank up the volume with the best of them! Counts for something right?!

Keep working on your goal and one day you shall succeed! Here's some inspiration for you... this reply is my first entrance into the ATS World LOL!

Mr TA, You already know I love the song! And you of course!

posted on Nov, 3 2022 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Mucky

Thank you, sweetie! And yes indeed, that is the Mrs. I approve of this message!

She absolutely loves to watch me play drums. In fact, a while back we were doing a drum cover Youtube channel, and she helped me get the music cued up and played from her laptop. Was a blast, and who knows, maybe we'll do more:
www.youtube.com...

Mostly classic rock drum cover jams... kinda lost interest a bit, as those are pretty involved to pull off live like that. Plus I can't really put much effects and stuff on the drums while live streaming on youtube, so the sound suffers a bit...

new topics

top topics

join