It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

anything in iowa?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 07:48 PM
link   
beside the famed childern of the corn what else has been spoted in iowa (just playing about the coc thing) like any cyrptozoological things

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:03 PM
link   
My parent inlaws from Iowa have heard some pretty funky stuff, like strange howling in the night, they also had alot of moutain lions around that area...

I have lived there for a year and a half, nothing interesting though...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:24 PM
link   
There's supposedly a "monster" in Spirit Lake. I couldn't quickly find any more info than that.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Down around the Missouri border there is talk of a “bear-cat” by some of the hunters and rural folk. Keosauqua hunters have said that the creature fells deer but it’s widely held by townsfolk to be a ruse to increase hunting tourism.

If you’re not familiar with the south eastern border of Iowa think of Appalachia in the 30’s and you’d have about the right picture. Think of raccoon skins hanging to dry on tree limbs outside the house and piles of junk in the yard. The poverty in the area is appalling but of course there are a few that enjoy very high standards of living.

The most interesting report of a “creature” I have heard came from the practitioners of Transcendental Meditation in Fairfield. Fairfield is the home of the Maharishi University of Management, a money grubbing cult if there ever was one, though not particularly dangerous they do practice coercive persuasion. They also practice yogic flying techniques twice a day in two domes on campus. One dome is for the women one for the men. One fine day in the woman’s dome a woman “channeled” a creature that appeared to some as a large glowing jelly fish.

Channeling is forbidden by TM whose adherents are fanatically intolerant of alternative views. I spoke to three women who claimed to have seen the creature. One was my girlfriend for a time and is still a close friend. She told me that she saw a spherical being with tentacles that had bio-luminescent lights. It hung in the air and the telepathic query came, “What are you trying to do?” The answer was, “Fly.”

With that, tremendous bursts of energy were shot through the women in waves they said were quite powerful and caused a rippling motion to run through those seated in the lotus and even lifted some briefly off the ground. Because the “channeler” was standing and seemed to be directing the energy through her hands she was ejected from the dome and forbidden to return.

Two of the women I have spoken to claim to have seen the creature while a third said she heard the query and felt the energy but never saw anything. Do I believe it? In fact it is one of the few claims that TM’rs have made that I actually do believe because I know the eye witness’s so well. These women are in their late fifties for the most part and not given to school girl fantasies of “being a witch” or similar developmental phases that may give rise to extraordinary claims. I don’t expect others to believe it as I have no proof.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
thanks alot i might have to check that TM thing out. ive heard very little about the bear cat but other then that thanksalot guys. any other info is wanted if anyont out there has any

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Dude, CoC is totally in Nebraska. Stop trying to take our credit!!

You might want to check out some websites that have information about haunted houses, parks, other areas. There are quite a few in Nebraska, more than I expected atleast. Other than that, no huge odd occurrences that I have heard of.

www.haunted-places.com...:

A list of haunted sites in Iowa ^

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I live in the Quad Cities (IL side) but the IA and IL side are pretty much connected with river houses on both sides for about a 15 mile radius. Nice place. Boring. Not many folktales except for the Indian stories.

Any who, Maquoketa, IA has the Maquoketa Caves. Very, very special place. There are parts in the mammoth cave where they don't let anyone go, more specifically they board/rock up the entrances to only make a possible entrance via underwater and through tunnels (manmade or natural; probably both) anyway, research up some stories on the Maquoketa Caves, you'll like that.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 01:17 AM
link   
Not to hijack the thread, but what about New Jersey (besides the Jersey devil)?

How about Louisiana?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Anyone ever been to Hummle Park in Omaha NE? it's quite fun, supposedly haunted, it's rumored you can hear indian drums and sometimes even wolfs there.

I did hear something like vague drums...

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   
I once saw a large fish in East Okoboji that I mean was huge. It might have been a carp but I'm pretty sure they don't breach like bass do or whatever it is called and it didn't look like any bass I've seen before. I saw it about in the middle of the lake and the thing jumped about 10 feet from my little paddle boat... it looked big enough to jump on the boat and sink it. I'm 100% it wasn't a catfish either but I know those can get pretty big.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I won a Best Actor Award at the Wild Rose Film Festival last year for the last feature film I was in, does that count?

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by hitman132436
beside the famed childern of the corn what else has been spoted in iowa (just playing about the coc thing) like any cyrptozoological things

The Buddy Holly crash site is a very spiritual place, like sacred ground. But I wouldn't call it strange.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by 9890
I once saw a large fish in East Okoboji that I mean was huge. It might have been a carp but I'm pretty sure they don't breach like bass do or whatever it is called and it didn't look like any bass I've seen before. I saw it about in the middle of the lake and the thing jumped about 10 feet from my little paddle boat... it looked big enough to jump on the boat and sink it. I'm 100% it wasn't a catfish either but I know those can get pretty big.

Might have been a pike or a sturgeon, they get pretty impressive and are agressive enough to breach when they feed.

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Ya I guess it's probably a pike cause I've seen how big those get and I'm pretty sure there aren't sturgeons in East Okoboji but I could be wrong. I've just never seen one. But I've been wondering what that thing might have been for while now so thanks for your insight

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:22 PM
link   
and oh yea I don't if this was mentioned already but Okoboji area has known to be a mini type UFO hotspot if that stuff interests you , hitman. Not as much as like Roswell or something but in Iowa there have been quite a few reports of UFOs around there

new topics

top topics

join