It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: NASA In Talks About Using Global Warming To Transform Mars.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
One thing I tink that some of you have overlooked about the Terraforming of Mars is that:
1) There is no magnetosphere which without one there can be no useable atmosphere because of solar wind stripping.
2) The magnetosphere would have to be started which would require that we drill to the core and start it up! (nukes)?
3) Even with underground life solar radiation would kill off anything for several meters depth and the free-radicals at even a much greater depth.
SO..... You need to start the core which relays solar radiation which feeds the core which helps trap an ionosphere which helps retain an atmosphere and melt waters which increase pressure.
Even if all this could be done there is still the problem of a lact of atmospheric nitrogen to thin out the other gases for humans to breath.
Our main carrier gas is Nitrogen. Oxygen is at a level we've evolved to use.
If you raise the level then oxydation increases. I really don't thing you want oxygen thinned with high levels of CO2 or Methane either.
If the

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
Sorry... I didn't read the priors well enough... this issue has been touched on... sorry for the misspells I'm new here (can't type with a damn either)

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Seems like the people working at NASA are the wrong ones. Clearly the posters here at ATS know WAY more than those NASA people do. How arrogant. Do you folks actually believe that they aren't aware of these issues? I think it's more an issue of what we CAN do with what we have to work with. Not can we develop a clone of earth. NASA has more data available to model than you could digest in your lifetime and the capability and expertise to use it. It's a potential experiment. Start the process of creating an atmosphere and potentially create a world that may be useful in the future --- if not for residing then perhaps for some other purpose. I say go for it.

posted on Jun, 2 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
People can own property in space. It is governments and corporations that can't own property. The International Space Treaty of 1967 states these stipulations. Although some individuals see it as a loop hole not including private individuals in the treaty. There are many people today trying to cash in on this loop hole. We'll see how they do.

I'd like to place a claim on the sun. Therefore, I can charge everyone inthe galaxy a tax for its energy source. You owe me money!

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:34 AM
link   
This report I do not agree with. NASA should keep in mind that they still need to finish the international space station not worry about mars. For all that we know there could be life on mars that we have not found. We should worry about these matters first. I think that we should also try to find a way first how to get out of this galaxy an into another and survive the trip.

[edit on 2-2-2006 by desdarien]

apc

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 08:47 AM
link   
What's wrong with this galaxy? It's got a great view! All nice and milky... mmm.

Worried about potential harm to life on Mars? Oh well... sorry little bugs.

Building artificial magnetospheres? Sure hope they find a few rather large deposits of helium-3.

I don't see much point in terraforming Mars. A water cycle will not be sustainable, so we'd just end up with a much warmer red desert planet.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Blue Skies On Mars

Why do I have this eerie sense of deja vu?

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Mars Mars Mars Mars! Come on.......... We can't make the weather work here and You would spend Billions to play with Mars! We have not seen over 1/2 of our oceans floors. We need to clean up our home and be it's master before running off and playing god some other place.

We wont...... not CAN'T feed the people here.........
Sorry....... I am into space and all but we need to keep the money here.

[edit on 2-2-2006 by Mr101Hazardous]

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by desdarien
This report I do not agree with. NASA should keep in mind that they still need to finish the international space station not worry about mars. For all that we know there could be life on mars that we have not found. We should worry about these matters first. I think that we should also try to find a way first how to get out of this galaxy an into another and survive the trip.

[edit on 2-2-2006 by desdarien]

Umm..."get out of this galaxy"...You do realize how massive this galaxy is? Perhaps you mean solar system?

As for the Mars thing, NASA is the one governmental agency I trust. I don't think they have any intention of creating a clone of Earth; just see how the experiment works, and, maybe as a side reward, be able to colonize. I see no problem there.

posted on Feb, 2 2006 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000
I am all for this. Personally I just do not get the people who say we should fix earth first. Experimenting on Mars and Venus could give us valuable insight into how it all works, and we could take that knowledge and apply it on Earth. What a concept
This isn't just about Colonization it's about increasing the capabilities and knowledge of Humanity as a whole, having extra real-estate is just a bonus IMO.

As for the lack of a magnetic field on Mars, well if the new Radiation shields on the ISS work out(think Artificial Magnetic Bubble) we could set out on an Engineering project like no other, and that is to create a Magnetosphere around large portions of Mars' surface. We probably would need ALOT of power to do the whole planet, so we should just pick the most strategic locations. Like places where there is lots of resources etc.

[edit on 5-4-2005 by sardion2000]

100% agreement! Let's Roll!

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 09:58 AM
link   
What is their timeline for terraforming mars with a substance that is 10,000 times more potent then carbon dioxide, if going by natural means, a process like this would take hundreds of thousands of years.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I say go for it. I think it would be a great asset to science. Imagine a planet-sized laboratory on which there are none of the ethical problems faced here on earth. We could send all the ELF, ALF, and PETA people to live there.

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Humans should do anything we want to do to advance our species. Mars would make a great test subject for testing terra forming in any form. Should we luck up and turn it into a mini earth then great for us. If it just turns into a mess of chemicals then so be it. Right now mars is nothing but a frozen rock waste land doing nothing at all to advance humanity. This solar system is ours. What lies beyond may not be. We should also look at cooling venus.

Right now our only mission in space is exploration and that should be greatly expanded. Staying on earth is equivelent to never exploring earth and discovering America.

Space is todays unexplored oceans. Were is a rich queen when ya need her?

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven

Space is todays unexplored oceans. Were is a rich queen when ya need her?

We've got our "rich queens", they're just too distracted fighting their petty wars and gathering green paper to care about focusing on a more important issue.

[edit on 3-2-2006 by iceofspades]

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 02:05 PM
link   
and, I am just wondering how the inhabitants of mars will react if we start messing with their atmosphere to make it more pleasing to us, since well, then it would be quite displeasing to them...
that is of course, if there's any inhabitants left on mars, which I agree is doubtful, but none the less, possible.

something tells me that if there is, remaking their planet to our own desires would be a nice way to bring them out into the open....

posted on Feb, 3 2006 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Blue Skies On Mars

Why do I have this eerie sense of deja vu?

...Maybe, it's because we really are being programmed for the future!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join