It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where else Has Mothman Been Seen?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 11:15 AM
link   
It seems that the most sightings came out of Point Pleasant, but it seems possible that he/it, would be seen elsewhere. Also, what is the general feeling toward mothman? fake, real, or inconclusive?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I believe the last sighting was decades ago, so not much else to go on. Most sightings I'm aware of were in that general vicinity. Though, one could draw parallels to other suspects, such as the Leeds Devil, etc.

I'd go with inconclusive as a general concensus. Many of the original sightings were completely independent, and didn't exactly know of the other sightings. When you have two or more witnesses describing the same kind of creature, and you don't believe they are in cahoots....one has to at least question it.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Wasn't there a report in Vietnam about two soldiers on guard one evening that saw something similar to the MothMan phenomena?
Apparently, a naked, black female with caucasion looks, flew over them and they saw that her arms and fingers were webbed like bat!
I know this report is quite old, but it may be that these creatures have been roaming around for centuries and we're just getting a handle on them!

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
When you have two or more witnesses describing the same kind of creature, and you don't believe they are in cahoots....one has to at least question it.

More then that, dozens upon dozens of sightings. Some may have been due to hysterics but I have a book by Donnie Sergent, JR. & Jeff Wamsley called Mothman: the Facts Behind The Legend. It has news headlines with multiple mothman sightings.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I was watching this thing on discovery channel about cryptids and they had an episode for the mothman and there was a sighting of a witch or moth or something similar to mothman in Mexico! I also think Mothra could PWN mothman anyday! I wonder what mothman was doing in mexico? MAybe its the cheap alchohol?

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Wasn't there a report in Vietnam about two soldiers on guard one evening that saw something similar to the MothMan phenomena?

I think that's related to the story a Vietnam veteran that I worked with told me about him and all his buddies doing acid. LOL

One time he was up on a roof doing it and a bunch of mortars started coming in. He was all messed up on acid and said he was in awe of all the bright lights and whatnot. Then of course he told me about how he'd always salute his Sgt. that he hated out in the open, which was against the rules, because Vietcong snipers would always aim for the guys in charge. He'd do it just to tick the guy off.

Just so this doesn't get deleted I better say that I haven't really heard of any Mothman sitings other than the infamouse ones in Point Pleasant. I did read an article on the net that claimed that Mothmen could be one of the billions of unknown creatures that live inside our planet with the Loch Ness style monsters, bigfoots, gobblins, the infamous reptilians, etc. lol

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 12:58 AM
link   
My husband is from Point Pleasant and we watched this movie with interest. He was a teenager when this occured. The people who claimed to see Mothman were very respectable people. They really had nothing to gain by making it up. I did take offense to some of the movie though. The silver bridge did collapse and a lot of people died, but one of the problems was that the bridge inspector for the county (this was before civil service) was a relative of someone who had power in the county according to what I was told. He had no experience in this area. This bridge was certified as being sound and a short time later collapsed. It was determined after the disaster that the bridge had structural cracks and was in danger of collapsing long before it did. 60 minutes or a show like that did a piece on the bridge as well.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I don't know why, but I long for some modern day Mothman sightings. I mean the 60's was a long time ago for alot of people living in the here and now. Without as many consistent sightings as there are with Bigfoot, I think people would believe less in Mothman because he was just a one time deal. I'm not saying I'd believe in that estimation but alot of non-believers could debunk credible eyewitness testimony by asking the question of why there hasn't been any frequent Mothman sightings leading up to current day.

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Reptilian_Queen]

ID

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reptilian_Queen
I don't know why, but I long for some modern day Mothman sightings. I mean the 60's was a long time ago for alot of people living in the here and now. Without as many consistent sightings as there are with Bigfoot, I think people would believe less in Mothman because he was just a one time deal. I'm not saying I'd believe in that estimation but alot of non-believers could debunk credible eyewitness testimony by asking the question of why there hasn't been any frequent Mothman sightings leading up to current day.

[edit on 6-4-2005 by Reptilian_Queen]

I hate to say it but I think that in many unexplained cryptozoological cases I am guilty of passing off the evidence or sighting as a hoax or misunderstanding if it was an isolated incident. It is just more difficult to believe in something that either happened a great deal of time ago or was witnessed by very few people.

As for the mothman sightings, I am not very well versed on this particular case, but it does seem odd that the cases were so frequent and then simply died down. This reminds me a lot of the Lizardman of Bishopville, South Carolina where the sightings became extremely frequent and then simply died down completely. Interestingly enough the mothman case has not faded like many of these one time sightings do, perhaps it is because cases this unique don’t come around everyday.

If the witnesses of the mothman were telling the truth about what they saw and were not simply clouded by public hysteria then it begs the question as to why we have not seen any recent sightings. Perhaps the creature was an extreme mutation or simply died off or maybe it was intelligent to see the effect of its contact with humans and has learned from these instances? These possibilities all seem like long shots to me no matter how objectively I attempt to consider them. I simply think there is a logical explanation for this one that has been lost in an amazing story.

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
The sitings have and still continue around the world. During periodic and almost random times of crisis the mothman seems to appear. This is strange too as i was just thinking about the mothman before i seen this thread. If you read the book, watched the movie, or read up on this particular phenomenon than you will have invariably come across this one fact: that the mothman chooses to incarnate around the strangest places at the strangest times. Almost never does the mothman appear for some random reason.

If you remember the part in the movie when the Richard Geers (don't know if thats the right spelling) was talking to the writter (of that book about the mothman) he asked, "Why doesn't the mothman simply reveal what it is that he wants", and the writter replied, " Have you ever tried to explain yourself to a cockroach?".

It would appear then that these creatures are further evolved beyond that of the "normal" Homo sapien line. Do you remember the story of the Ark of the Covenant? If you manage to look inside you will see the face of God, and this would invariably destroy you as a finite creature cannot comprehend an infinite subject.

This goes in conjunction with the crazed character, in the movie, that ended up killing himself. Remember he was the only one who had seen the face of the mothman (Indrid Cold), and from that point his life went down hill. The writter, Richard's character was talking to, also explained that, "We are not meant to know thier intentions (mothmen)", and "The mothman appears to each individual differently when it decides to confront any human face to face."

To some it appears as an angel, to others a demon, or vagualy human, in a one-on-one appearence. When randomly spotted it appears as a "mothman" with huge red eyes, red or brown skin, and a huge wing span that doesn't flap when it flies. Some people report common symptoms when encounterd with one as well: swelling and irritation of the eyes, intense heat, and a destructive voice or hum beyond that of human understanding.

The mothman isn't some sort of "60's fad" either. If you watch the bonus stuff of the DVD it states that the mothman has appeared all over the world and even back in time in cave paintings as far back as the human has recorded. As far as 'why' those particular entities have choosen the guise of a 'moth' relates to the symbolizm the moth had to those prehistoric tribes that first noted them. To them the moth was the symbol for the underworld or the realm of death as it were.

Now to make sense of the 'silver bridge insident'. If it is true that the mothmen have agendas beyond that of our comprehension, then perhaps their reason for their involvement in that particular insident was to "save" someone. Mabey that person wasn't the real issue. Perhaps that person carries the lineage of a person in the future who might change the world some day. Who knows.

I have always been enormously attracted to the lore of the mothman ever since i have stummbled upon it. In fact i didn't know untill recently that my dad grew up in Gallapolice, Ohio (which is right across the ohio river to Point Pleasant) when that insident happended. what irony.

I am actually writting a story about the mothman now. The idea of the story goes like this: We (human, and alien) entities were not the first beings to be created in "His image". Actually God creates the first beings as high ranking angels in His image, only to ban them away to a 'waste land of nothingness' because He created them with too powerfull a potential (power). Now to avenge their mystic falling they try to escape from this 'realm of the dead' and help humankind, God's second creation in His image, to escape the reality He has created for them, so they may take contol of thier own destiny as well. The fallen angels (mothmen) go about dropping hints about God's true nature and His true destiney for mankind... what ever that may be... Along the way we learn that what we know as "good" may not be as clear as light.

If the above scenerio is true than perhaps this is where the conception of 'demons' and 'fallen angels' have come from.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Probably in America as most of these mysterious sightings are.

its fake IMO.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Callisto
Probably in America as most of these mysterious sightings are.

its fake IMO.

The mothman has been seen all over the world!
Are you anti- American or something this is the third post I have read of yours and in two you are saying something like the above about America?

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   

More then that, dozens upon dozens of sightings.

I didn't mean to demean the number of sightings, I was just using an example....

While I've heard of worldwide sightings of a similar creature, I'm not aware of any other area of concentrated numerous sightings elsewhere though, as we have in the Point Pleasant area. I'd love to be mistaken though, if any have such information, please share.

posted on Apr, 7 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I didn't mean to demean the number of sightings, I was just using an example....

I know, i was expanding on your idea of the claims holding validity
I think the whole topic is vastly under studied because of the governments attempt at redirecting the attention from something else in Virginia and using the Mothman as thier cover. This is purely speculation and I can't prove it, but its healthy to question.

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Are there any links to these reported stories about current Mothman sightings?

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Space_CowBoy33
general feeling toward mothman? fake, real, or inconclusive?

My mom has a theory ... not based on anything except her feelings.
She thinks it's an E.T. pet that escaped. Kinda like when a family
goes on a trip and takes the dog, but the dog gets loose and runs
off. The family looks for a while, doesn't find the dog, then continues
on vacation. Mothman was the E.T. family pet .... or the E.T. scientists
pet. Anyways .. that's her theory. It's as good as any at this point.

I think it was real but considering that it hasn't shown up in a long time,
either it died, or the vibes haven't been right for it to be called forth
from what ever eitherial place it lives (if it isn't a living being, that is).

posted on Apr, 8 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Like the idea. Yeah it could have somethng to do with the 'chipacabras' as well.

posted on Apr, 9 2005 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Oh my God, I was telling a friend of mine that when I was watching the Mothman segment on Unsolved Mysteries on TV like a month ago. Maybe he was chasing all those people because he thought they were his masters. I mean how would a pet know the difference between a gray that is bipedal and humans who are bipedal as well. I mean if it really was an aggressive creature it would have attacked those people instead of chasing them down. Why, I even bet the poor thing was trying to tell those people he chased back into the house he was lost and looking for a way home.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Im just having a blast with this Mothman stuff. No alien pets. Government conspiracy? A much better possibility than you may think. And they are actually giant owls. Giant bastard owls. The real mystery is not that they are owls but why they are so friggin huge. The ones I saw were the size of a fully grown Rottweiler in the body and their wings were so big that a wingspan of 10 ft. was my estimate. Sure as hell didnt bother running up to them with a tape measure. They had an earsplitting scream that you could have heard for a mile. Giant red eyes and all. If you want to know more about this incident check out my Mothman post. The Point Pleasant incident really is puzzling though. I believe the eyewitnesses completely. Its a great habitat for them but does not explain why they grew to such a size there. The old TNT factory more than likely is just their hunting ground. Remember that there is a nuke plant there too. Hmmmm...even though Im pretty darned convinced that they are owls its still pretty damn scary stuff..

top topics

join