It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cobra manoeuvre goes wrong?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I know there has been a lot of discussion recently about the cobra manoeuvre and i just found this video in which it appears a cobra manoeuvre was attempted but not completed successfully and the plane crashes as a result. I'm fairly sure its the pilot you can see ejecting when the plane reaches a vertical position. I am no expert and was hoping some of you could tell me more about this video and if it was actually an attempted cobra manoeuvre?

www.big-boys.com...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Is that a Typhoon or Gripen?

It definitely looks quite like the Cobra. But it's a bit low, don't you think? It just fell out of the air, looks more to me something went wrong showcasing it's manueverability, or he was probably trying to avoid something.

One thing's for sure, doing a Cobra at that altitude, no matter if it's not meant to lose alititude, is dangerous. =\

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   
i agree with your thoughts that it is more likely a malfunction or technical problem that caused this crash and the low altitude would suggest it wasnt an attempted cobra. i just wanted to be certain and find out some more information about this incident. i think its a typhoon but i could be wrong.

[edit on 5-4-2005 by wierze]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Spent about 10 minutes trying to show what the hell is that plane... Seems like a Grippen, I agree, Xar.

Sounds strange that a cobra would be try at such a low altitude, and even more tried with such an aircraft... Too many $$ thrown away for a simple acrobatic manouvre!!
I quote from the comment section of the website where the video was:

This is a swedish JAS-39 Gripen. The reason this airplane crashed (actually it crashed also in 1988 or 1989) is because the pilot´s trying to over control the FBW-system. Fly-by-wire tells the hydraulic cylinders in the plane to expand etc. Now, what happens when your computer program is inadequate is, that sometimes pilots are giving 100´s of small corrections on the control stick, and the computer tries to input these movements to the hydraulic cylinders. Well, hydraulics cannot follow commands as fast as the program would like to, and the result is a loss of control due to incompatible command/action link between the pilot, computer and hydraulic cylinders. A computer flaw.

Matti Rissanen Finland

UNQUOTE

With this link also provided:

www.canit.se...

Forge your own opinion...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Ahh! That would make sense. The hardware wasn't adequate enough for the software...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
That answers my questions, thanks for your inputs, seems like there was some debate on that website aswell.

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
np

It's a pain loosing such a nice plane, but... Better to loose it during an exercise than in real a2a fight! I highly doubt that grippens will ever have to face an ennemy... Sweden is neutral

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Haha, Yes, thats the Gripen, while still in stage of prototype!
The plane itself fell down in the middle of a park in Sweden... None where hurt. And it is the pilot that ejects himself.

It was not an intentionally manouver.
It could look like a cobra manouver, but it is actually a known bug.
In modern aircrafts, the aircraft tries to commodate (foresee) the pilots next movement. -Being fastest (and precise) when it comes to manouverability is important.
The fly-by-wire system is a computerbased system which occasionally, when the speed is right (wrong, actually) and if the pilot push the stick, the computer "overreact", making the pilot pull back, and again the computer "overreact", and the pilot has to push forward again. All these manouvers makes the plane loose airspeed, and *blammo* EJECT_EJECT_EJECT...

JAS-39 Gripen Crashlanding

F-22 Raptor Crashlanding

Edited in movieclip

[edit on 5-4-2005 by Ulvetann]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Hello,
I also did some research and i guess the crash video is more likely to be this accident:
www.canit.se...

Even when I think the Gripen is a good plane - until I found this thread I never heard about any accidents so far - but now after just a few minutes of research there seems to be some chrashes over the years...

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Never heard of a plane who have fulfilled his prototype test calendar without crash or almost...

Pay attention to the fact that the comments in the site linked above are not very... well, let's say "documented"!

EDIT: I mean the comments about the video, not the crash report! (sorry)

[edit on 5-4-2005 by Element]

posted on Apr, 5 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   
You can find videos of both Gripen crashes here:
ATS: Aircraft crashes captured on video

top topics

join