It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happens when cell phones are cut off

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

I'll breathe a sigh of relief.

And here's another thing. These people hawking sat phones for when the cell grid goes down and so that you can talk privately?

Can't they shut down satellite communication, as well? And is it not possible to monitor sat data traffic. If they are going to sh ut down the communication networks, I don't think they're going to just forget consumer level sat traffic.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 02:09 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

Pretty much any form of communication that depends on a relay network can be shut down at the flick of a switch these days, it's why direct device to device communication, such as with ham radio are best.

It just takes one man with a badge to go into the office of whoever runs the sat service to shut down sat phones from a given provider.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 03:10 AM
link   

The old school nerds of the world will be elevated to god status as idiots run up to them and ask random stupid questions.

What's this blue thing!?
(The sky)

Can I microwave dry my hamster?
(No, there's no power dumbass)

Will toothpaste cure acne?!! Please help!
(It didn't for me 😭)

I kid, it probably would be bad for a while as we talk to each other and realise how distracted from ourselves we've been... I suspect a few months of nuttiness from most would be in order. Just like the internet really. They'll be right at home?

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Nope. Since I don't use one, I'll be fine, thanks.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 03:46 AM
link   
im buying an actual camera soon. actually im buying 2. both expensive. one small, one big rig.

i carry a sketchbook everywhere i go.

once i get the camera, i would not need a phone so much.

yes texting and i-g are addictive. but i mostly use it for taking pics and sending myself notes, other than calling people on the road so to speak.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 03:47 AM
link   
i can yell really loud!

last night i was talking with the wife and my phone was on the coffee table,

all of a sudden siri came on and wanted to clarify if i wanted to know where the pizza joints wew near me.

i never used siri before.

and the phone was off!

i said wtf/ and wife said tell it to shut down.

told it to kill itself.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Not a problem here, I've never owned a cell phone. But if my computer was to go, THAT would leave me lost & lonely

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 06:34 AM
link   
A pacifier with tracking abilities even Orwell couldn’t imagine?

If anything cell phones will be mandated, like a SSN and photo ID.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 08:55 AM
link   
"What happens when cell phones are cut off"

The Zombie Apocalypse!

Then al the zombies will starve off because of the lack of brains to eat, and I'll start fertilizing my garden with what's left. Fresh tomatoes! Yum!

TheRedneck

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: gb540
A pacifier with tracking abilities even Orwell couldn’t imagine?

If anything cell phones will be mandated, like a SSN and photo ID.

This one here!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 09:23 AM
link   
I'm old school when it comes to phones, but I have a smart phone and use some of the apps when necessary. I'd rather do online stuff from my home computers, but phone apps will do almost anything you need. Order dinner, navigate around, get a ride, send text messages, use QR codes, monitor your vitals, play music, watch a video, play a stupid game, and make a voice call (you know, like a phone was used for).

My girlfriend just called yesterday to see what it would cost to get the landline hooked up again. AT&T quoted her some ridicules rates that added up to around $75 a month and something like 14 cents a minute for long distance calls, this is without extra services like caller ID or a voice mail service. Apparently they are trying to eliminate landlines and go to fiber optics for a "hard wired" service, otherwise it's "no landline for you". When I can "pay as you go" unlimited for around $20 a month on a burner smart phone, it makes little sense to go the landline route.

She still has an Obama phone we use as a home phone, I just upgraded it to a better model than my burner smart phone. It has unlimited data and a hot spot for free as long as I make some calls on it to keep it active. With things like that available, a landline is off the table at those prices and restricted services.

As for two ways like HAM radio, you and your people will need an operators license (free if you pass the test) and the radios aren't cheap. However, the repeater networks are free to use for licensed HAM operators and they cover a lot of area in their networks. A private use mobile radio service license is cheap to buy and will allow you to use a specific frequency for your own private network, one you can have exclusive rights to use. You have more rights on that frequency than the HAM operators and could kick them off of it like you own it. CBs would be OK around your home base, but that is about it.

WiFi networking on a Mesh-Net outside of the internet is doable in densely populated areas. Not many people are using this method, even though it is free to do and can be used with all your devices. This was the first work around being used in other countries when their governments shut down their cell phone and internet services.
edit on 8-9-2022 by MichiganSwampBuck because: For Clarity

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
Americans dont eat sardines like they did last century. I keep some on hand for some special recipes like a Italian spaghetti served with garlic, capers, and anchovies sauteed in EVO. It just uses a few tiny filets for flavor and is absolutely wonderful.
As for cell phones.... I never carry mine with me. I dont like being tracked, and I can find lots of other things to do instead. I do like keeping in touch with my kids through text though.

Ewwww, a can of anchovies would be much much worse! Those are the saltiest things that I have ever eaten on a pizza and out of a can of anything. Never again will I try one those yucky little fish!

As for all the cellular smart phones out there, most people would go ape chit if they all stopped working at once for an extended period of time! Ape chit I tell yaa! 🐵🦍💩

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 11:06 AM
link   

well at least twitter will be dead although some use forums such as these for tweets

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 11:25 AM
link   
The ensuing chaos will be 100x greater than the COVID mass panic 😎

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

I will be concerned about my vehicles extended warranty.

I had fun with those calls for a while. I had time to kill and kept the poor cold callers on the line for long minutes, stringing them on with frail "Let me just get a pen" and "I need to fetch my wallet... it's upstairs, gasp gasp gasp... one more flight... oh, it's in the car! One minute, dear.... gasp gasp gasp ...one more block... ."

Until they mysteriously all stopped calling. I must be on a list, now, thankfully.

posted on Sep, 8 2022 @ 10:01 PM
link   

edit on 9/8/2022 by texas thinker because: (no reason given)

<< 1   >>

join