It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Real-Life Mecha! is nearly here

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   
man some people If a mech was used in combat it would be in urban area's...... as for the drone comment just replace mech with any other tanks/apc there is little deffence to that so its a mute point.

Now as for rpg's yes there is ways to beat them the If you would have read my link It would have explaned it a little better instead you just say what deffence would it have.

Arena Rpg/missle defence system

electron armor defence system

There are also many advances in armor it self...

Advanced Armor Look for Carbon Ring armor.

We are not talking about have 40 feet tall walking ships we are talking about 10-18 foot tall light to med armed infentry support units similar in payload to a APC 7.62-50cal anti personal gun, 25-40mm main gun, and 1-4 tows or 2 tows and 2 stingers. All parts would be interchange able so arm gets hit in the field the mech driver could get a arm off a fallen ally. The mech would also have reactive armor on top of the arena system and electric armor. As for kinetic penetrators its not a mech's job to fight tanks its job is to support ground troops in close in fighting. Now your going to say well road side bombs could take it out... boy your quick road side bombs can take out a M1A1 so not fair to compair. If a weapon can take out a tank then it will take out a mech its a given... We are not talking about a super weapon here.... as for size right now the M1A1 is 12 feet tall........ 18 foot with wire wip antenas... so its size is 9' front x 16' side x 9.5' tall to the turrent roof and extra 2.5 feet for light gun turrents So whats going to be harder to hit? a abrams or a 4-5' wide x 5-6'long x 10-12' tall mech remember leading a target the wider the target the easyer it is to hit. How tall it is only maters at long range. Now can a tank put a gun around a corner? No it has to pull half way around before it can fire.. Mech ? yes it can... So what is easyer to hit a tank pulling around a corner or a mech sticking its gun around a wall? You can say all kinda of things what if it hits a mine.... What if a tank hits a mine its still out of action... DEAL WITH IT. As for getting hit in the legs or arms making them not work they would need a pin/lock on the joints that if the leg was damaged it could be pined to hold up strait so it could limp around. If a tank loses a tread its done. Would also have a locking system on the arms. The only major down fall is the feet getting stuck in mud but This is not a very heavy unit I would say 5-20ton. But even today M1A1's get stuck in the mud so.... Also balance would be a issue but a segway can stay upright so we might be able to figure it out.

The armor would also be modular for verying levels of conflict so bolt unbolt armor as needed to improve protection at the cost of speed and manoverablity.

To each there own I guess there is no way to make up some ones mind tell the mech is really in military action. But even then there will be some they will always hate the idea.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
wow i really killed off this topic mooohahaha...

posted on Aug, 16 2006 @ 12:38 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
to make a mecha is not that hard all you need to do is program a cpu in c++ that will rotate the legs.

posted on Dec, 28 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Giant robots.

Well, referencing an old article on Gizmodo, it would cost $725 million per unit. Of course this is before arming it with weapons, which would inevitably cost much more. Today's economy is definitely not ready to finance giant mechanical weapons that someone can pilot.

Source: Gizmodo

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join