It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Had To Put Church Before Charles, Says The Queen (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Queen Elizabeth has announced that she will not be attending the wedding of Prince Charles and Camilla Bowles. The Queen has decided to put her duties of head of the Church of England before family affairs. She did not want to set a precedent that could damage the Church of England.

www.telegraph.co.uk
The Queen has told a friend that she feels it incompatible with her role as Supreme Governor of the Church to attend a civil marriage ceremony, particularly one involving the heir to the throne. She does not want to set a precedent that could damage the Church of England.
"I am not able to go. I do not feel that my position [as Supreme Governor of the Church] permits it," the Queen told her friend. Until now, it has been unclear why the Queen declined to attend the wedding of Prince Charles and Camilla Parker Bowles in Windsor on Friday.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

It has been widely reported that the Queen had no intention of attending her sons wedding because she thought it humiliating to be wed in a Town hall.
That and the fact that she disapproves of the relationship between Charles and Camilla.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Does anyone know the Church of Englands stand on divorce and remarriage? I actually never understood the being married in Town Hall for Charles and Camilla -- I would have thought they could have had a small church wedding in a chapel that they must have on some one of their properties. I can understand they wouldn't want an entire huge hoopla wedding.

But then again didn't the church leaders say that Charles had to issue a public apology to Camilla's husband before he could be married in the church?

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The way I understand it, the Royal Family can be divorced and remarried without shame, but the person he or she marries can't be a divorcee. Widow(er) is fine.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
The Church of England was created for the specific purpose of King Henry VIII being able to divorce Catherine of Arragon so he could marry Anne. So I think its safe to say divorce is perfectly permissable.

However, I can see the Queens reasons here. I wouldnt want to attend the meeting either.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Just a little tidbit, it seems that Camilla will get the title of Princess of Wales. Im sure that is going to be another PR nightmare.

CAMILLA Parker Bowles would be given the title Princess of Wales, the one most associated with the late Princess Diana, when she married Prince Charles, a newspaper said today.

The title would be confirmed in a parliamentary statement in response to a question from Andrew MacKinlay, a member of parliament from the governing Labour Party, the Sunday Times said.
The title would likely anger supporters of the late princess, who blamed Mrs Parker Bowles for the breakup of her marriage to Prince Charles, it said.
Princess of Wales

[edit on 4/3/05 by FredT]

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Oh no! She doesn't approve! God save the Queen! Help us, no!!!!!!!!!NOOOOOO!!!!
Embrace your slogan at ATS.

top topics

join