It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Box Office: ‘Lightyear’ Disappoints With Soft $21 Million Friday

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 10:13 AM
link   
It is an interesting take that Disney's Streaming killed the opening, Lightyear is hailed as the movie that made Andy get Buzz, but so far is grossing less than half the TS4 opening weekend. The economy isn't helping, but Walt has to be spinning in his grave, it hasn't been a good year for Disney.

Box Office: ‘Lightyear’ Disappoints With Soft $21 Million Friday

Over the last year, we’ve had the second-biggest opening weekend of all time (Spider-Man: No Way Home), a Tom Cruise-starring Top Gun movie earning $160 million in four days, a Doctor Strange sequel seizing the second biggest no-Iron Man/Spider-Man MCU opening ever and the biggest-grossing video game movie in unadjusted domestic grosses (Sonic the Hedgehog 2). There’s been much evidence since last May, when A Quiet Place part II opened with $57 million and essentially tied its pre-Covid $50-$60 million tracking, that tentpoles can open as well (if not better) now than they would have under non-Covid circumstances. Lightyear (review) technically nabbed the biggest Covid-era opening day for animation on Friday, but a $20.7 million Friday for a Pixar biggie is still a disappointment. Maybe conditioning consumers to watch Pixar biggies “for free” on Disney+ was a long-term mistake.

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 10:20 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

The experts who watch the box office said Lightyear would gross $70 to $85 million domestic and do another $50 to $60 million offshore for a worldwide opening of $135 million. Instead, the gayed-up Toy Story origin story crash-landed with a $51 million domestic opening and only an additional $34 million offshore, for a pathetic $85.6 million worldwide haul.

Link

Bwaaahaaahaa! I'm surprised it did as well as it did considering it's banned in 14 and counting countries. Not a very good return for a $300 million dollar investment.

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 10:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Disney's current currency is rainbows. They seem to enjoy going broke.

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 10:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: everyone
a reply to: Klassified

Disney's current currency is rainbows. They seem to enjoy going broke.

Up to them to drop the woke #.

Majority DOES NOT WANT IT.

If majority rule is good enough for South Africa, Majority rule is is good enough for North America.

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 11:06 AM
link   
To be fair, Disney waited over 25 years to finally write and animate the movie that supposedly launched the Buzz Lightyear toy instead of delaying three sequels to make sure Buzz hit the target demographic at exactly the right time. If I didn't know better, I'd say they ran out of road so they defaulted to prequel mode.

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Americans love this woke s***.

The Chinese not so much...

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 12:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAY1980
Americans love this woke s***.

The Chinese not so much...

Nah, a majority of Americans do not like it either, but our leaders seem to LOVE it.

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: JAY1980 Current box office suggests that not enough Americans love it to make it a block buster.

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm
To be fair, Disney waited over 25 years to finally write and animate the movie that supposedly launched the Buzz Lightyear toy instead of delaying three sequels to make sure Buzz hit the target demographic at exactly the right time. If I didn't know better, I'd say they ran out of road so they defaulted to prequel mode.

The "target demographic" is not lesbians in search of self-validation but NORMAL boys and girls and their parents.

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I'm still gonna see it. Just bought my tickets...!

posted on Jun, 21 2022 @ 10:17 PM
link   
It's a good movie. I definitely recommend it. The same sex couple was not an issue for me as it wasn't a major plot point. This movie is for kids and teens but even still I give it 2 thumbs up.
edit on 21-6-2022 by lostbook because: paragraph edit

posted on Jun, 22 2022 @ 08:08 AM
link   

What the movie industry has been doing is reviving old IP's to use as a gender political vessel in the past decade.

posted on Jun, 22 2022 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

The "target demographic" is not lesbians in search of self-validation but NORMAL boys and girls and their parents.

True.

They are targeting the ones that need "Conversion". They are not looking for the ones who don't need any conversion which is why they have set their targets on 5 year olds.

posted on Jun, 22 2022 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Also dont forget the rule of thumb. A Hollywood movie needs to make about 3 times its production cost back to break even on the expenses made to make it/promote it and distribute it etc.

posted on Jun, 22 2022 @ 10:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: lostbook
It's a good movie. I definitely recommend it. The same sex couple was not an issue for me as it wasn't a major plot point. This movie is for kids and teens but even still I give it 2 thumbs up.

If it wasn’t a “plot point” then why?
Just a thumb in the eye of everyone?

Stupid

posted on Jun, 24 2022 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Although the same sex kiss seen appears to be a dopey shout-out to the wokes of the world, that’s not why my family doesn’t particularly care to see the movie.

What annoys us to no end is that they did not go with Tim Allen. I read the rationale and although I believe it to be disingenuous, the reason doesn’t matter to us.

Tim Allen is and forever will be Buzz Lightyear as far as we are concerned.

join