It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Theory- What would happen to earth if the moon left our solar system?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I will put this in simple terms. I have some questions riddling inside my brain... and I would like some answers. That is why I come to you

The questions are as followed.

1. What would happen to Earth if the moon left our solar system?
2. What would cause the moon to leave our solar system?
3.What would be the best solution to fix this problem?
(Give more than one)
4.Do you think it is possible for the moon to leave our solar system? Why, or why not?

5.Then form a juxtaposition of pros and cons (if any) of mother earth not having a moon.

6.Similar to question 1, what would this mean for all organisms living on earth?

7.Would our Earth's species be able to adapt to such disastrous changes?

8. Add any other ideas, or comments you'd like to add.

9. Please make your explanation as sophisticated as possible in terms of Astrophysics (as though as you were talking to physicist) for my pleasure.

Then simplify your ideas down so that the common man could understand this.

10. Give links to any real theories on this subject. (If any)

11. HAVE FUN!

-Your Friend Liquid

[edit on 063030p://666 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Again, please have fun.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Haha... I know I'm not the only science "nerd" on this site.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The Earth's moon is about 1/4 the diameter of the Earth.
The mass of the Moon is about 12% of Earth's.
I am very sure this is needed to sustain our current orbit around the Sun.

If we lose all that mass we will start to drift away from the Sun.
Years will get longer and colder.
Finally we will fly off from the Sun altogether.

VERY VERY COLD.
VERY VERY DARK.

The Earth will become a super cold popsicle in the vast gulf of space between the Stars.

trivial losses will be some tidal effects which also help to keep Earth's core warm, thereby supporting Earth's magnetic field.

The Moon is slipping away from the Earth RIGHT NOW.
1/4 inch per/year.

I find that pretty troubling myself.

Correcting this will probably be one of the major space engineering projects humanity will have to perform to salvage our home planet.

[edit on 2-4-2005 by slank]

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:20 PM
link   
What Terapin said…

Which is what my currently muddled mind was trying to sum up. It would change everything, and not for the good. From what I understand, Earths gravity is affected by the nearness of our Moon. That alone is a vital issue.

This has been a subject of interest among scientists for more then 100 years, and I, for one, believe their current take on the matter. Should documented science change it’s views on the matter, I would then be willing to consider other possibilities.

Sorry I don’t have links to back up my opinion, but perhaps someone else can post the scientific facts that are well known worldwide, about the relationship between our Earth and the Moon.

-VW

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 08:59 PM
link   

already explained above + nights would be a lot darker

Ever seen the TV serie battlemoons?
Big engines were used to move the moons round.
A very very big explosion could do it too.
A rouge space object with heaps of gravity passing close by could remove it from its orbit, but that would also stuff up earth.
A comet or meteor could also snooker it out of orbit

Go get it back (hard to do if it gets blown up)
Compact all earth rubbish and bung it up there.
The gravity would be the hard bit, big mirror could be used for the light reflecting part

4.Do you think it is possible for the moon to leave our solar system? Why, or why not?
Everything is possible it's just unlikely.

5.Then form a juxtaposition of pros and cons (if any) of mother earth not having a moon.
???
6.Similar to question 1, what would this mean for all organisms living on earth?
We would be in trouble (as answered by those above me)
Not with current technology

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 09:03 PM
link   
thanks man. I hope someone does

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Thanks for the links

-I would also like to hear from more members as well.

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
oh, this is easy, we all die. slowy painful death...

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Think what would happen to the tides? That would probably muck up the weather and have a dramatic effect on marine life.

More asteroid impacts on Earth, as we would no longer have our "shield".

And as its already be mentioned without the moon our orbit round the sun would be very different so we would probably all become extinct.

And ofcourse i wouldn't have as much to look at through my telescope

posted on Apr, 3 2005 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by slank
If we lose all that mass we will start to drift away from the Sun.
Years will get longer and colder.
Finally we will fly off from the Sun altogether.

VERY VERY COLD.
VERY VERY DARK.

The Earth will become a super cold popsicle in the vast gulf of space between the Stars.

[edit on 2-4-2005 by slank]

Wouldn't the Earth move closer to the Sun with less mass? I guess it wouldn't matter, because all we need to know is that we'd be screwed.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
please reply, because this is very interesting to me

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The earth is in orbit around the sun, and the moon is also in orbit with the earth. The earths orbit COULD change, but we would need an astrophyist to figure out exactly what would happen. Most likely the orbit would be more eliptical and we would have a longer year due to the lowered mass

The Earth would experiance more sudden and violant seasonal changes, as well as lot more tectonic shifting. Be prepared for lots of Tsunami's, earth quakes and volcano eruptions. Most people would assume it was the Apocylpse

Extremem delta V (rockets), Massive explosion, Huge ateroid impact. Therotically anything could happen that you migth find in some Science fiction novels. (Death Star, death ray, teleporter, Q continum)

Create an Equal mass to repalce the moon, or applie corrective delta V. Or use some means to stabilse the earths crust as it adabts to the change in tidal stresses.

Yes, take a while. Simple laws of motions and physics can be applied ot do it.

Humans will, marine ocean life will. Insects probly with survive, but I strongly belvie that 95% of earths land and air species would die if the Moon left earths orbit

8. Add any other ideas, or comments you'd like to add.

Maybe we should ask what would life be like on earth without a moon? No more lunatics? what about the race to the moon and how it affected space travel? No more solar eclipses and easy ways to observe the sun?

[edit on 4/24/2005 by Jehosephat]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Briefly:

1. We'd solve the werewolf problem.

2. Not much.
3. Suck it up? Hard to make a new moon...
4. Nah. Too much mass to move. You could destroy it, that's technically 'leaving,' so I'll go with that. Yes, you can, hit it with a big rock.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
As I understand it, the moon is largely responsible for keeping the wobble(precession)sp?? of the earth in check. Without the moon we would lose our predictable seasons and I believe many of the natural mechanisms that regulate the earths overall temperature. Life as we know would surely not survive.

As to how you would do that I don't know, but a more likely scenario would probably be that it would be destroyed by some sort of massive collision(vversus flying away for unknown reasons).....it's also important to note that the moon is currently getting farther away from us, and has been doing so since its creation.......

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
1. We would all eat cheese

2. Cpr12r

3.Kill Cpr, eat cpr, make sure cpr has no babies

4.Yes...Cpr is still alive...thats how

5. juxtaposition - no idea what that means

6. we would live in the land of chese

7.I'm sure we can handle it
maybe with a few nachos on the side

8. I think Daystar had a spot in this too...

Then simplify your ideas down so that the common man could understand this.

Cpr is evil, and Daystar might just be on his side.

top topics

join