It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Uvalde PD, school district PD no longer cooperating with investigation into school shooting

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+23 more 
posted on May, 31 2022 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Full article title:

Uvalde PD, school district PD no longer cooperating with DPS [TX Dept. of Public Safety] investigation into school shooting, ABC News sources say

Original article was 404'd (odd), so including an updated secondary source (article title a bit different also) - thank you Don't Tread On Me also!

Uvalde police, school district officers have stopped cooperating with Texas DPS investigation into Robb Elementary shooting

404'd original source URL

This sure is interesting to me (but I don't know the nuances to public relations/investigations like this/etc.). Looking at the comments I also found multiple people saying this, which is a new development for me:

Texas police: Teacher closed propped-open door before attack. Its on video.

Back to the story...

Some background:

The Uvalde Police Department and the Uvalde CISD Police Department are no longer cooperating with the Texas DPS investigation into the mass shooting at Robb Elementary and the state’s review of police response, multiple law enforcement sources told ABC News.

The decision to stop cooperating by the two law enforcement agencies happened soon after DPS Director Col. Steven McCraw said at a news conference Friday that delayed police entry into the classroom was “the wrong decision” and contrary to protocol, the sources said.

A DPS spokesman, the Uvalde police chief and a spokeswoman for the Uvalde Independent School District did not immediately respond to requests for comment from ABC News.

Any thoughts on what the implications are of these developments?

MOD NOTE
another source
www.chron.com...
edit on Tue May 31 2022 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2022 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

+20 more 
posted on May, 31 2022 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Any thoughts on what the implications are of these developments?

They're covering up some kind of criminal negligence and don't know how to respond. If they are covering up more than that, then we could see a police department go rogue.

Some interesting # ahead either way.

Regardless, they are covering # up any way you slice it.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Sounds like Pleading the Fifth practice to me.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

I have a thought.

It was a horrific event. Just about everyone is looking where to place the blame and that begins the building around all involved parties.

A note however.
I dont see anyone but a few of us weirdos on ATS looking in the direction of the usual suspects in these cases.
FBI
Medications
Social media trail

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Link borked or site removed it btw.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 06:58 PM
link   

thanks for the information. The door thing is making more sense. Still not an excuse, but understandable she panicked.
Her weakness cost the lives of 21 people.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: JinMI

Thanks for letting me know, will find another source and edit OP accordingly

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

the interviews were getting more and more hostile with the same questions. They are hiding something.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I believe the phrase is, "the department is handling it internally" because obvious reasons. Whatever punishment they deserve, is already etched in their souls and exposing the grieving families to more dissection and suspicion is the opposite of helpful.

edit on 31-5-2022 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Makes me laugh!.. When "Law Enforcement Officers", (union), ... "Lawyer Up"... Against the very people that "justify" their purpose, reason for a job! ...
Must be a "lot", of "dental plans" involved?

That "LEO", detaining that "mom",... willing to "go in!".. and do what he wasn't willing to do?...Explains it all!... That "COP" (LEO), should've relinquished his weapon to the mom. And let the "female" American, do "his" job and what he wasn't willing to do...

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:15 PM
link   
So this reminds me of a book I am reading right now.
I wonder if anyone here has read it.

Chaos. Charles Manson, the CIA, and the Secret History of the Sixties.

I am not finished with it....but these shootings are starting to sound oh to familiar with this Manson case and how it was handled and all the crap that was NOT covered in the case/trial but actually covered and buried deep and the lies that were told in the trials. Lots of it.

LASO, along with intel agencies were well aware of Manson and while watching him were told to be hands off. Manson was able to manipulate his 'following' and the murders happened while under watch.
-------
Oh reeeealy:

From the Daily Mail...

It now emerged that in December 2021 Arredondo completed an eight-hour school-based law enforcement training on active shooter situations at Southwest Texas Junior College, according to records reported by CBS News.

Arredondo completed the same course on August 25, 2020 and 16 hours of a 'Terrorism Response Tactics - Active Shooter' course on June 10, 2019, the records show.

Despite his training, Arredondo has been accused of failing to follow standard operating procedure for school shootings, which calls for the first police on the scene to engage the shooter.

If you havent read the book, I suggest you do.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:16 PM
link   

I've seen where they have also stated the teacher that propped the door heard the crash and went to call 911 and when someone yelled he has a gun they got the rock they were using out, but the door didn't automatically lock like it was supposed to.

It could be as simple as covering negligence to keep the city/department being sued, but as usual a lot of oddities around these events.

A Washington Examiner? maybe journalist went through their manuals on response someone posted in another thread, 'suprisingly' waiting for more kids to die wasn't part of the training. [Eta'- here it is]
mobile.twitter.com...
edit on 5/31/2022 by TheLead because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: TheLead

I've seen where they have also stated the teacher that propped the door heard the crash and went to call 911 and when someone yelled he has a gun they got the rock they were using out, but the door didn't automatically lock like it was supposed to.

It could be as simple as covering negligence to keep the city/department being sued, but as usual a lot of oddities around these events.

The door didnt lock?
Then why did they need a key to unlock it?

(question not to you...rhetorical).
We will never know the answers...it will take years to get anywhere with this.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I just wonder how the cop feels standing around 40 minutes while his kid was in the classroom dying.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Why would they? It is all "legal" and "stuff"!
Why would a "LEO" agency, "police union", with a good "dental plan",...Not want to "incriminate" themselves?... That is so 5th. Amendment, obviously they're guilty of something!..They should be arrested!...lol!

Honestly?.. "Law Enforcement" has no "legal" obligation" to do "anything", LITERALLY. ... They have no "legal" obligation, to "protect and serve", anyone. .. other than to "collect revenue", for their "employer" they honestly have no "legal" reason for existence.. That is a legal fact. .... I'll let you in, on a "secret", ... You ain't, the employer.

edit on 31-5-2022 by murphy22 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:45 PM
link   
a reply to: shaemac

It may be rhetorical, but it's a good one.

[Retracted- redundant]

Your question got me thinking about another article I read that stated the shooters would be senior class visited the elementary school the day before. I wonder if he could have had any communication with any of them.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:49 PM
link   

They are attempting to change the topic because of their failures in the incident.

They violated the most basic rules when dealing with an active shooter and the school police chief compounded that by refusing to act. The swat team from Border patrol disobeyed a direct order from the school police chief to not enter the school. They took it upon themselves to enter the school and neutralize the threat (and rightfully so im my opinion).

Back in the 90's we had the mass shooting at Columbine High school. At that point in time the SOP was to erect a perimeter to contain the shooter(S) and to wait for the arrival of SWAT. In the aftermath of Columbine it was a catalyst that forced major changes to police response to active shooters.

Now when officers respond to an active shooter situation the idea of a establishing a containment perimeter is no longer option #1. Essentially responding officers are given (imo) a free hunting license to enter the premises and to stop the threat. Hell officers dont have to wait for their own department to arrive. The first officers on scene, regardless of agency/jurisdiction, form an adhoc entry team with the primary goal of stopping the threat.

The shooting in Texas violated those basic principles and should be investigated so we can understand their reasoning behind their thinking and actions.

From what I have seen/read/heard the shooter was isolated into one classroom. If thats the case, and their were no hostages etc with the shooter, then their mindset would be to transition from an active shooter situation into a barricaded gunman situation. Protocols for each and the way the suspect is treated are vastly different.

However the fact they are ending their cooperation with a DPS investigation is just as concerning as the reported response by their school / city police. Based on my experience and training (from 2 different states as a police officer) if the info I am seeing/hearing is accurate then their must be an investigation into the actions of the 2 police departments (to a lesser extent into the officers themselves) but mainly the command staff level.

Granted different agencies will have different protocols that must be followed however the training I received is completely at odds with the actions that day.

To me it looks like a PR control issue (which is also why imo school police departments should come directly from the primary agencies jurisdiction and not a separate entity). In my experience the mindset of school administrators / teachers often run counter to what needs to be done when dealing with student problems.

sorry for the wall of text.. This situation pissed me off to no end.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:51 PM
link   

It doesn't surprise me they are no longer cooperating. Everything I have seen so far indicates they acted like a bunch of brandons when they should have John Wayne'd the place.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: TzarChasm

I would accept that the police cannot comment on an ongoing investigation, but that is not the same as "not cooperating" in the investigation. That is what a criminal does during an investigation. Im sure you understand the difference, but I wanted to clarify what I think you were meaning.

posted on May, 31 2022 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: shaemac

I was recently discussing this with a friend. I remember how Manson was quoted saying: The POLICE used to watch over the people Now they are watching the people. The Uvalde PD are certainly not making a better case for themselves.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join