It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extrasolar planet discovered! (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:24 AM
link   
A planet outside of the solar system has been confirmed, The planet is a gas giant which is about 2 times the size of Jupiter, it was observed by the VLT (very large telescope), the sun the planet revolves around is about 1 millions years young.

story.news.yahoo.com
After a few close calls, astronomers have finally obtained the first photograph of a planet beyond our solar system, SPACE.com has learned.

And this time they're sure.

The planet is thought to be one to two times as massive as Jupiter. It orbits a star similar to a young version of our Sun.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This could be a historical photograph of the first ever confirmed extrasolar planet! very exciting for all astromoners and the like, today it might be a gas giant, tomorrow it might be a solid planet like earth!

This really would proof the fact that there are other planets outside our system which ofcourse was little doubt of and this could make the argument alot stronger that there are extraterrersital lifeforms on those planets as well!

Yet another step for humanity towards extrasolar exploration! kudos to ESA and their VLT!

Related News Links:
www.space.com

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 06:34 AM
link   

ET Phone Home....

Anyway, i saw this as well, i dun really understand it. Are you saying to me that we have never seen another planet outside the Solar System before?

join