It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hacker Unleashes Power Struggle at Top Internet Destination (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Reports are coming in from several contributors about an ongoing power struggle at one of the most popular destinations on the Internet. Strange activity has been reported over the last few days including mysterious security filters, messages and tracking software.

The strange activity follows the appearance of a mysterious poster claiming to have insider information about the nature of the governing administration. What followed were demands for a large ransom in exchange for silence.

www.abovetopsecret.com
Despite several attempts to secure the site against what seemed to be repeated hacking attempts the poster kept reappearing to dare and taunt the administrators. All traces of the hacker’s numerous efforts at blackmail were erased as quickly as they appeared and any mention of his activities were quickly whisked away into a special containment area.

The hacker hinted that the administrative personnel were in fact federal agents tasked with keeping track of certain subversive elements attracted to the content of the site. This fact in association with recently leaked information about a certain posting referring to the use of certain “forms” to keep in “compliance” with “our new fed partners” raised the suspicion of several members. Whispers of cover-up were seen in the board’s chat-room.

Having failed to pay the ransom demanded within the required timeframe, the hacker has delivered as promised.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

All of the administrators and moderators appear to have been locked out and banned from the forums and the “special containment area” has been exposed. The ongoing planning and correspondence of nefarious activities behind the scenes of the site are now clearly visible to any visitors and members.

The resulting power vacuum has resulted in several coups and counter-coups. At least three different factional ringleaders have announced a takeover including members identified as cmdrkeenkid; Nerdling; and prophetmike.

As with all crises involving temporary loss of administrative control certain unstable elements have been observed running amok or posting nonsense. (examples include drfunk; they see ALL; Lambrusti and Jamuhn.

It is not clear at this time which faction is poised to consolidate power and what if any repercussions the unstable elements will suffer when someone finally takes control.

In fact, several of the ringleaders have garnered support from disloyal and disgruntled members of the old order however, many of those members have pledged allegiance to more than one leader.

Under such circumstances the power struggle could quickly escalate into full-blown civil war.

It is also not clear at this point in time what has happened to the deposed leadership and their return cannot be ruled out. In such an eventuality, watch for the usual cover-ups and for proper revenge to be meted out to any members who showed disloyalty in a time of crisis. If a new administration holds on to power a purge of the old order and their loyal followers is expected.

The situation is fluid and the power struggle continues. Considering the power and reach of the old order, look for the federal agents to restore their power base and implement a cover-up.

This is a developing story. Further updates may or may not be possible from this observer. This submission is anonymous. However, my identity can and will be revealed by the actions of only 20 members.

After that...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
april fools...

EDIT: i was mentioned:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

i am happy now...

[edit on 1-4-2005 by they see ALL]

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Lol. There seems to be a lot of April Fools stuff going on today. So anything shocking I usually disregard. Of course this reminds me of a story I heard. A lot of years ago in Hawaii a large tsunami was detected. However being April Fools day, few people believed the warnings. This resulted in quite a few deaths. The moral of the story, confusion and ignorance will be the death of us all.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 05:59 PM
link   
The sense of adventure and intrigue...all rolled into one posting!

top topics

join