It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Universe Could Start Shrinking 'Remarkably' Soon, Scientists Say

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 4 2022 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Everything is expanding including you and I.

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Arbitrageur

That was, what my rotating comment was about. Everything from small to huge is either orbiting, rotating or spiraling.

From atom cores according to Niels Bohr's atomic model, up to the galaxies that spiral up. These also spiral etc. For me it is just applied experience that the universe also spirals then.

The expansion rate changes over time,

Uniformly? Is this spread out random and-or does it have a center point?

Our galaxy is not expanding, it's the spaces between galaxy clusters and superclusters that's expanding.

Oh okay. I always understood it like that space itself is expanding. As in, everything expands, the whole universe stretches and with it everything else. Can you confirm to me that it was wrong and I understood it correct this time:

Not the space itself, but the room/space between the galaxy- and superclusters expand. Relative to the size of these clusters that stay unaffected by this effect. Meanwhile the matter in these clusters that travels inwards (the spiral) is not affected.

And if that is right, based on it I ponder:

If space expands, the domain of space is also expanding. The universe itself is not infinite at all, but infinite universes, probably? The expansion of boundaries of space then have to have a driving force. What if the driving forces are singularities like black holes?

We really don't know what they are and some (all?) emit energy. What if that energy or radiation is filling space or analogy, a pressure that leads space to expand. When all matter is converted, this pressure is gone and space will snap back instantly as matter is taken out of all physical equations. Thereby possibly turning EM radiation / energy into matter again, as space condenses and so does everything else. boom, big bang and expansion again.

Think of a sponge (fabric of space time), that stretches out as long as there is water drops (matter) pouring (converting matter to energy / radiation) onto it. While the sponge fills, it also grows a couple times the factor of waters volumetric (space related). So at first the sponge will be full, then it get's bigger, there will be empty room not filled by water. When there is no more water (matter) coming, at rate 0, the sponge implodes all the energy is thereby converted to matter and superheated also but now some singularities can form again and feed the cycle.

And that is happening infinitely often, in infinite timelines varieties and also infinite timeline starting points, but also not.

E = m * c

What if E is approaching infinite while m = 0?

inf = 0 * c

TLDR;
What if the sponge is the fabric of space, carrying all matter, supported by the stuff that goes into black holes.
edit on 5.5.2022 by TDDAgain because: sponge is better than towel

posted on May, 5 2022 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TDDAgain
a reply to: Arbitrageur

That was, what my rotating comment was about. Everything from small to huge is either orbiting, rotating or spiraling.

From atom cores according to Niels Bohr's atomic model, up to the galaxies that spiral up. These also spiral etc. For me it is just applied experience that the universe also spirals then.
But Neil Bohr's atomic model we now know is wrong (It was superceded by quantum mechanics models), and we also know your logic here is wrong about the universe. The rotations we have observed are in structures which are gravitationally interacting, but the most distant galaxies from Earth will never feel the gravity being emitted by Earth right now at light speed, because they are receding from us at three times the speed of light. So it's not good logic to presume that the rotation which occurs in areas of gravitational interaction also occurs where gravitational interaction at the speed of light is impossible due to superluminal recession velocities.

Uniformly? Is this spread out random and-or does it have a center point?
I don't know why you asked this when you quoted the following answer already:

"Our galaxy is not expanding, it's the spaces between galaxy clusters and superclusters that's expanding."

Oh okay. I always understood it like that space itself is expanding. As in, everything expands, the whole universe stretches and with it everything else. Can you confirm to me that it was wrong and I understood it correct this time:

Not the space itself, but the room/space between the galaxy- and superclusters expand.
I said "it's the spaces between galaxy clusters and superclusters that's expanding". You wrote something different which I cannot say is correct, I don't know what "galaxy- and superclusters" means, and it's not what I wrote which was very specific.

It's a complex topic about which volumes have been researched and written, so a single ATS post or even a blog post will not give a full understanding. But this blog post by physicist Ethan Siegal is a start:

This Is Why We Aren't Expanding, Even If The Universe Is

The fabric of space itself may still be expanding everywhere, but it doesn't have a measurable effect on every object. If some force binds you together strongly enough, the expanding Universe will have no effect on you. It's only on the largest scales of all, where all the binding forces between objects are too weak to defeat the speedy Hubble rate, that expansion occurs at all.

So the expansion "force" of dark energy tries to push things apart everywhere, but it only succeeds in doing so where the opposing forces like gravity and electromagnetism aren't strong enough to prevent the expansion. Gravity is strong enough at the levels of galaxies and galaxy clusters which are dense enough to overcome the expansion, but the superclusters are so stretched out that we think gravity isn't strong enough to hold those together. So this is yet another example where the overly naive assumption of "as above so below" doesn't pan out, since a larger collection of galaxies (supercluster) will be affected differently than a smaller collection of galaxies (cluster), if you needed another example of why you shouldn't assume things that happen at smaller scales also happen at larger scales with your rotating universe idea. Electrons don't orbit atoms either, not in any classical sense.

The superclusters of the Universe — these long, filamentary structures populated with galaxies and stretching for over a billion light years — are being stretched and pulled apart by the Universe's expansion. In the relatively short term, over the next few billion years, they will cease to exist. Even the Milky Way's nearest large galaxy cluster, the Virgo cluster, at just 50 million light years away, will never pull us into it. Despite a gravitational pull that's more than a thousand times as powerful as our own, the expansion of the Universe will drive all of this apart.

But there are also smaller scales where the expansion has been overcome, at least locally. It's a lot easier to defeat the expansion of the Universe over smaller distance scales, as the gravitational force has more time to grow overdense regions on smaller scales than on larger ones.

Nearby, the Virgo cluster itself will remain gravitationally bound. The Milky Way and all the local group galaxies will stay bound together, eventually merging together under their own gravity. Earth will revolve around the Sun at the same orbital distance, Earth itself will remain the same size, and the atoms making up everything on it will not expand.

Why? Because the expansion of the Universe only has any effect where another force — whether gravitational, electromagnetic or nuclear — hasn't yet overcome it. If some force can successfully hold an object together, even the expanding Universe won't affect a change.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join