It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If a leader goes insane, do the worlds nuclear armed militaries have a contingency?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 03:55 PM
link   
My question is mainly directed at the Russian Federation. Do they have a contingency in the event a leader goes insane and decides to start a nuclear war? Does the US have one as well? I am really wondering, and events lately make one wonder if any one person alone, should have the capability to start a nuclear war.

edit on 24-4-2022 by openminded2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: openminded2011

There's a documentary about that.

Dr. Strangelove.

edit on 4/24/2022 by Phage because: Well, geez.

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I’m not really worried about nuclear war with Russia unless the war goes in to Russian borders. Population is too smart. I’d like to think their chief of staffs is semi competent.

North Korea on the other hand…yikes

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 04:12 PM
link   

I don’t believe there is any one man anywhere in the world that could start a nuclear war alone.
Simply put, here in the US, the president would give the order to launch and top military aides would initiate those orders, if they are lawful orders.
The president just cannot grab the briefcase and start the launch sequence by himself, I am sure it’s the same in Russia.

Remember when the Liberals thought Trump was playing with the nuclear football while sitting on the toilet at 3AM?
They were stupid, it just doesn’t happen like that.
edit on 24-4-2022 by RazorV66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Watch that old 60’s movie “Dr. Strangelove “, it might give you a good perspective.

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 04:19 PM
link   
You do realize that the MSM has successfully brainwashed you into believing "Ukraine: good" "Russia: bad" ?
Imo Putin is playing a role in a theater play that we are made to witness and are made to believe is an actual 'conflict' .
All to distract and all to continue their plan to destroy economies : "The current artificial inflation is all Putin's fault and because of the war in Ukraine"

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

" You ever see a commie drink a glass of water ?"

PEACE ON EARTH PURITY OF ESSENCE PEACE ON EARTH PURITY OF ESSENCE PEACE ON EARTH PURITY OF ESSENCE PEACE ON EARTH PURITY OF ESSENCE PEACE ON EARTH PURITY OF ESSENCE PEACE ON EARTH PURITY OF ESSENCE PEACE ON EARTH PURITY OF ESSENCE PEACE ON EARTH PURITY OF ESSENCE

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Keep following the nonsense western press that tells you this is somehow an unknown outcome of western Ukraine policy or that the world is on the brink.

This is happening because western leaders wanted it to, not because Putin lost his mind. He's literally told the west what he was going to do in Ukraine for years and provided them the means to avert this expensive and inhumane war.

The insane people are those that promote the idea that spending tax money we don't have on wars we instigate is somehow promoting democracy or freedom.

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight
You do realize that the MSM has successfully brainwashed you into believing "Ukraine: good" "Russia: bad" ?
Imo Putin is playing a role in a theater play that we are made to witness and are made to believe is an actual 'conflict' .
All to distract and all to continue their plan to destroy economies : "The current artificial inflation is all Putin's fault and because of the war in Ukraine"

I made no such assertion. You are assuming I am referring to the current conflict. I am not, what I am speculating about, is if in fact a world leader ever became mentally unbalanced, is there a contingency in place to stop that leader from starting a nuclear war? I also asked if the US has a contigency as well. Please go back and read my post and you will see this is true.

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 04:29 PM
link   

If a leader goes insane, do the worlds nuclear armed militaries have a contingency?

Yes .
The plan is called "M.A.D.D."

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 04:32 PM
link   

The president of the United States can, in theory, launch nuclear war by personal decision—without any checks or balances.
Someday, the United States really could have a mentally ill president who chose to do the unthinkable.
A president is required by the War Powers Act of 1973 to seek congressional approval for any military action within 60 days of its inception. But most presidents consider that act unconstitutional. In any event, a nuclear war could easily devastate the planet within just days or hours—long before the 60-day stipulation would be binding. Even if a president had obtained congressional approval for a war that began using only conventional weapons, no provisions of the War Powers Act would require subsequent congressional action prior to nuclear escalation.

In short: A president could push the button all by himself or herself, legally- and constitutionally-speaking. Physically, military personnel would need to carry out the strike of course. They could choose not to, perhaps at the instruction of the secretary of defense or the four-star officer leading Strategic Command—who together constitute the chain of command between the president and the trigger-pullers. But any military officer ignoring a presidential order would be in open insubordination, subject to dismissal and court martial.

This article was written during the Trump administration, when many were sure he would get us into a nuclear war- because he was 'mentally unstable'. Now we have a mentally absent president with a war-mongering panel advising him. We are getting awfully close to the precipice, it would seem. Surely there's a better way to make the world a safer place than bombing the #e out of each other.
[www.brookings.edu...]

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Never a more apt acronym.

However the doctrine implies sanity, which the OP's scenario (as unoriginal as it is) precludes (in spite of the additive edit).

edit on 4/24/2022 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Slim Pickens riding that nuke missile like a bucking bronco!!

That there sums up the military industrial complex.

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Putin has been poisoned. Lets hope he doesn't decide to end humankind, in retaliation.

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Any contingencies for a suicidal launch by a brain-addled world leader ?

I feel the Announcement of the USA Space Force satisfies that issue.

if not...... then Musk & Space X will develop a remedy--- that constellation of communication satellites (8 thousand?) being built for thebrain-internet interface is a covert 'swarm' defense system to knock out stage 2 of nuke ICBMs
edit on th30165083683324472022 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: Gothmog

Never a more apt acronym.

However the doctrine implies sanity, which the OP's scenario (as unoriginal as it is) precludes (in spite of the additive edit).

I am feeling rather humorous today .

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 05:19 PM
link   
There is no contingency plan .
As there is only hope that never happens .
Any "plan" would most likely make matters worse .
Live every moment of every day for what it is .

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 05:23 PM
link   

edit on 24-4-2022 by ancientlight because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 05:58 PM
link   
i think russia is claimed to even have a deadman's switch incase
someone over there becomes insane enough and survives accusing the chief of having bidenitus

as to the us...it's becoming a fact that whomever has the most to offer is allowed to do as they please
with immunity no less
so lets just hope the insane one isn't too rich aye

but yeah russia is claimed to no longer even need 1 incase the chief didn't press the button as he should have

as to your post of dr. strangelove

we sure didn't fair too well in " mars attacks " as they just put um in a pipe n smoke um

it's those damn russian dolphins now though with nuke backpacks strapped we should be worried about
as flipper is kind of too old to protect us anymore and free willy still holds a grudge

we do have those surfers from apocalypse now at defcon 2 standby incase defcon 1 is breeched
just incase that russian tidal wave nuke sub goes into service

who knows maybe AI will just lock into an algorithm that says this species is too stupid to exist and ends the war games
sorry matthew broderick
and those nuke cancelling aliens agree and don't disable...mars attacks was pretty concerning
edit on 24-4-2022 by lasvegasteddy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2022 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Only North Korea would have the absolute authority to command a nuclear strike unquestioned.

But North Korea's technology and stockpile is so limited that it would be obliterated by a retaliatory strike of conventional weapons, so no fear for M.A.D. there.

I'd be willing to bet that every nuclear superpower has it's own Stanislav Petrov within their ranks.

The real threat would be a rogue A.I. or virus/hackers taking control of a missile.

Hacking just one missile launch from one nuclear state to another could produce a domino effect that would have the same outcome if Skynet fired all the missiles.

<<   2  3 >>

join