It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon pushing reports of possible Russian chemical weapons attack in Mariupol

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 07:59 PM
link   
the Russians really want that steel factory-there was footage of them hitting it with thermobarics a week or so ago,was previously an azov battalion base IIRC.

I also read a rumour that it has multi level basement complexes-suppoerters of the theory about NATO soldiers being in Mariupol say many of them are in the underground areas of the steel factory/base.

Edit-found the thermobaric attack video-

edit on 11/4/2022 by Silcone Synapse because: whatever

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: radaghast5
What if it's true?

They're bussing in the "Crisis Actors guild" from Mariupol. Video proof should be ready by tomorrow.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 08:06 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Russia has failed in this politically. You have your opinion, but it's that of the minority.

No one gives a rats ass about Russia anymore. They are not to be trusted.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 08:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: putnam6

originally posted by: opethPA
To be clear since accuracy really no longer seems to be a requirement on ATS...

The Pentagon is not the source of this report but rather the UK Military is with the following being the opening of the quote used by the OP
, "British Foreign Secretary Liz Truss says her government is working “urgently” to verify details of an alleged chemical weapons attack on residents of the besieged Ukrainian city of Mariupol."

The Pentagon did however say this , also from the OP source, "A Pentagon spokesperson said the reports were not confirmed, but they reflect U.S. concerns about Russia’s “potential to use a variety of riot control agents, including tear gas mixed with chemical agents, in Ukraine.”

Why is it so hard for people to just report facts and let others form their opinions on those facts?

To be clear the original message is a Twitter message from Azov as well as the follow up it was 3 people allegedly

www.cnbc.com...

The original report was in the form of a Telegram message posted by the Azov Regiment, an ultra-nationalist part of the Ukrainian National Guard. The Azov message said Russian forces used “a poisonous substance of unknown origin.”

Okay but that doesn't change the fact your thread title talks about the Pentagon doing something when it fact its the UK Military.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
I don’t personally get the whole logic of it, tbh.

It’s kind of like, nah it’s all good, you can go in there with conventional weapons to murder, rape and pillage innocent civilians... no worries.

But if you dare use chemical weapons to do it, then we’ll have a problem!

Okay there Saddam we get it, you got no problem gassing people, but it would seem the Bulletin of Atomic scientists have a marked difference of opinion. hmmm who has more relevance

thebulletin.org...

the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention (BWC), which bans the production and use of biological weapons, provides little in the way of an enforcement mechanism, should countries violate it. Russian leaders could view the use of biological weapons as a way to control and preserve Ukrainian critical infrastructure while denying access to others.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Russia has failed in this politically. You have your opinion, but it's that of the minority.

It's 2022 and we live in one of the most propaganda fueled, manipulated societies in history during an era which literally defines itself by how ingrained social media and prevalent digital censorship of non-majority blessed viewpoints are... for the most part, the minority viewpoint is likely the sanest and most connected with facts as contrasted to the manipulated and carefully groomed majority's official narrative.

In short, thank you for recognizing the strength of my opinion.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 08:21 PM
link   

The Pentagon is not the source of this report but rather the UK Military is with the following being the opening of the quote used by the OP
, "British Foreign Secretary Liz Truss says her government is working “urgently” to verify details of an alleged chemical weapons attack on residents of the besieged Ukrainian city of Mariupol."

The Pentagon did however say this , also from the OP source, "A Pentagon spokesperson said the reports were not confirmed, but they reflect U.S. concerns about Russia’s “potential to use a variety of riot control agents, including tear gas mixed with chemical agents, in Ukraine.”

Why is it so hard for people to just report facts and let others form their opinions on those facts?

To be clear the original message is a Twitter message from Azov as well as the follow up it was 3 people allegedly

www.cnbc.com...

The original report was in the form of a Telegram message posted by the Azov Regiment, an ultra-nationalist part of the Ukrainian National Guard. The Azov message said Russian forces used “a poisonous substance of unknown origin.”

Okay but that doesn't change the fact your thread title talks about the Pentagon doing something when it fact its the UK Military.

The first paragraph of the article....

WASHINGTON — Defense Department press secretary John Kirby said the Pentagon was closely monitoring reports Monday evening of a possible Russian chemical weapons attack on the besieged Ukrainian city of Mariupol.
If Russia were found to have used chemical weapons in the strategic holdout city, it would represent a major escalation of the conflict and present a direct challenge to NATO to act.

“We are aware of social media reports which claim Russian forces deployed a potential chemical munition in Mariupol, Ukraine,” Kirby said Monday. “We cannot confirm at this time and will continue to monitor the situation closely.”

John Kirby
Admiral
John Francis Kirby is a retired rear admiral in the United States Navy serving as the Press Secretary for the United States Department of Defense and Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs since 2021.

The Pentagon is the headquarters building of the United States Department of Defense. It was constructed on an accelerated schedule during World War II. As a symbol of the U.S. military, the phrase The Pentagon is often used as a metonym for the Department of Defense and its leadership.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 08:21 PM
link   
So far, the initial report of a chemical attack is from Azov Polk. I wouldn't trust it until it can be independently verified. They said 3 were wounded, in mild condition, but recovering. You would think if it were a lie they would exaggerate it a bit more, so perhaps they are being genuine. Maybe something got lost in translation in terms of "gas".

It is said that defenders are holed up in tunnels underneath the factory. While Russia could just bomb the entire area, they would still need to send in infantry secure it. It is plausible that they would use chemicals to kill them/ flush them out in the tunnel network, but I don't see how delivering chemical weapons from a drone would be very effective in that scenario.

I'm not sure why Russia would use chemical weapons when they have almost finished the siege. Then again the world is crazy.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 08:24 PM
link   
for the most part, the minority viewpoint is likely the sanest and most connected with facts

I don't buy that for one second.
Fringe thinking used to be cool but now it's getting a little bit looney if you ask me. Far too much Larping. No one has enough guts to say "In my Opinion" anymore. They're right. No matter what!!
edit on 11-4-2022 by radaghast5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

Idk, maybe I’m way off here... but if I ever found myself as an innocent civilian in a war zone being slaughtered by an invading army. I think I’d probably care less if it was a conventional weapon or a chemical weapon... it’d probably be the act of being slaughtered by a invading army in the first place that would be my main concern.

But like I said... maybe I’m way off.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 08:35 PM
link   

That's quite the tell when one side in a single breath says look how inept the russians are they are losing horrifically to their embarrassment...then also say they're gonna try to take over europe or all these other neighbors most of which are in NATO...

Its F#*%ing comical!

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 08:37 PM
link   
a reply to: that1lurker

They wouldn't...these guys are probably already out of potable water...if not then soon. Only a few days before they either die or come out. They've been there cut off for nearly 2 weeks or so.
edit on 11-4-2022 by RickyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Idk, maybe I’m way off here... but if I ever found myself as an innocent civilian in a war zone being slaughtered by an invading army. I think I’d probably care less if it was a conventional weapon or a chemical weapon... it’d probably be the act of being slaughtered by a invading army in the first place that would be my main concern.

But like I said... maybe I’m way off.

I'd read the effects of chemical weapons even one of the lowest forms of mustard gas is excruciatingly painful even in low dosages and requires extended recovery times with likely permanent damage. In higher doses, the burns are almost intolerable. Obviously, it's extremely damaging to your lungs eyes skin everywhere if you survive you are going to likely be in major pain for a long time.

That's just mustard gas

edit on 11-4-2022 by putnam6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Score yet another solid win for the all-knowing fact-checkers...

that don't actually check facts

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 09:33 PM
link   
IMO, it is highly plausible that Russian forces in Ukraine employed chemical weapons. Since a Western Front style deadlock is yet to emerge, such a measure is an expansion of the morally bankrupt but ineffective Russian terror campaign against urban centres.

Furthermore, some people ignore how the Russians are entrenched in Ukraine and the Ukrainian's tactical successes in winning the war. Putin is probably seeking a failed way to conquer Ukraine without putting his country on a war footing.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 09:36 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

No kidding it is, but that seems to be more and more common. Another great example... if schools aren't teaching CRT as some high profiled idiots in the media and political office keep regularly yelling that they don't, then why get even remotely hot and bothered over passage of state level laws barring CRT from being taught in public schools? It would seem that the only reason to get upset over those laws is if lies are being told and CRT is actually being taught.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: RickyD

That's quite the tell when one side in a single breath says look how inept the russians are they are losing horrifically to their embarrassment...then also say they're gonna try to take over europe or all these other neighbors most of which are in NATO...

Its F#*%ing comical!

I've noticed how many "experts" on TV are so doom oriented, they can't let go of warning how bad thing are going to be for the _________section of Ukraine, immediately after saying how Russia is botching their invasion.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust

What if it's true?

They're bussing in the "Crisis Actors guild" from Mariupol. Video proof should be ready by tomorrow.

Ukraine needs to find some new crisis actors. Some of them are being reused.

t.me...

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 10:44 PM
link   
One of Russia's bombs probably hit some chemical weapon that was stored in the city to use if necessary against invaders. It happens. I doubt if Russia would launch a chemical weapons attack, I doubt if they even have them out in the field there.

When you are bombing places that have military supplies in them sometimes unexpected things happen.

posted on Apr, 11 2022 @ 11:10 PM
link   

www.cnbc.com...

The first paragraph of the article....

WASHINGTON — Defense Department press secretary John Kirby said the Pentagon was closely monitoring reports Monday evening of a possible Russian chemical weapons attack on the besieged Ukrainian city of Mariupol.
If Russia were found to have used chemical weapons in the strategic holdout city, it would represent a major escalation of the conflict and present a direct challenge to NATO to act.

“We are aware of social media reports which claim Russian forces deployed a potential chemical munition in Mariupol, Ukraine,” Kirby said Monday. “We cannot confirm at this time and will continue to monitor the situation closely.”

John Kirby
Admiral
John Francis Kirby is a retired rear admiral in the United States Navy serving as the Press Secretary for the United States Department of Defense and Assistant to the Secretary of Defense for Public Affairs since 2021.

The Pentagon is the headquarters building of the United States Department of Defense. It was constructed on an accelerated schedule during World War II. As a symbol of the U.S. military, the phrase The Pentagon is often used as a metonym for the Department of Defense and its leadership.

So why not link that on your OP?

Even still , by your own source it's the UK pushing it the US monitoring it

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join