It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant jelly fish?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I don't know whether has someone posted it b4, but here it is

www.unexplained-mysteries.com...

kinda big fish man.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Wow that thing is HUGE!!! But it could be photoshopped

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
wow

Thats one big jelly fish man, if its real!

[edit on 31-3-2005 by Liquid Tara]

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Interesting, but fake, alas. Big jellyfish have long tentacles but are not so big around. A science forum's take here :

Look at the grainy underside of the jelly. You can really see the pixelation where it's dark, as if it was blown up. You cannot, however, see any such pixelation on the diver. Also, look at the edges of the thing the diver is holding, it looks slightly pixelated, there, too.

With that said, th elargest jellyfish are the Arctic Lion's Mane, which grow to 2m across the bell and 36m long tentacles. Judging by the diver, that jelly is at least 30 feet across.

The jelly in the picture is not,as far as I can tell, an Arctic Lion's Mane, though it may be a Cyanea.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
There is no way there is a jelly fish that large and that person would have to be a complete idiot to get that close to its tentacles. Evan the little ones hurt like hell.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Isnt it a Portugese Man of War?
A normal animal thats been well documented and is absolutely huge.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
Isnt it a Portugese Man of War?

The same applies as in my post above. A Portuguese man-of-war has long tentacles, granted, but not so big around. I've seen them in the waters around Hawaii. They are impressive, but nowhere near that massive.

Actually, the Portuguese man-of-war is not a single marine animal, but it is a colonial hydroid, consisting of a large colony of smaller marine organisms. The blue-bottle gets its name from the body, which really is a large, gas- filled, bladder-like blue float, that can be up to 30 centimeters in length and rise above the water as much as 15 centimeters. Clusters of colonial polyps are attached to the underside of the blue bladder, and very long tentacles (sometimes up to 10 meters in length) extend from each of the polyps.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Jellyfish in artic waters can grow to be big as 60ft in length...

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by skyblueff0

Whoa cool! Anything to back that up? Links, pictures, etc?

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liquid Tara
wow

Thats one big jelly fish man, if its real!

[edit on 31-3-2005 by Liquid Tara]

to me it looks like a close up of Some other creature, and the diver has been P-shopped in to make it look like its huge.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
That picture (with the diver) has been debunked so many times it's hilarious...it is completely photoshopped. However some do grow very long, but like someone mentioned, it's not that massive, just the tentacles.

posted on Apr, 1 2005 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by UnMature

Originally posted by skyblueff0

Whoa cool! Anything to back that up? Links, pictures, etc?

I saw it in a book, but hey look I found you a link www.extremescience.com... , and apparently I'm wrong they can grow up to be 120ft long...twich the size i remember it ought to be.

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 12:11 AM
link   
ive heard of this before or something like it apparenly theres been quite afew of these appearing latley all around the world ill try and get a link or something for u guys (although what i heard about wasnt jellyfish i dont think but big blobs appearing on beaches on oceans)

posted on Apr, 2 2005 @ 12:32 AM
link   
if this pix is real.....it will be damn scary..... one great white shark can be easily eaten by it.......

top topics

join