It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS. Tracking you above and beyond.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 10:49 PM
link   
a reply to: InvitationIsland
now you've done it. I'm so paranoid that I'm afraid to post.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

As we all should be. I think.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Maybe I should have added a winking emoji or something because I was being sarcastic.

posted on Apr, 1 2022 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: tamusan

So was i.

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Aren't you precious.

**Pinches cheek**

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 02:57 AM
link   
The history of the question is easy enough to guess.
When they were first designing that log-in screen (which is comparatively recent), somebody thought it would a good idea to have that count available, so the relevant wording was placed on the screen.
When they were doing the necessary coding to incorporate the screen into the workings of the site, they did nothing to activate that feature. Perhaps it was too much work, perhaps it was a strain on the data resources, or something. Anyway, we are now used to the fact that we don't actually get a count. We live with it. That's my advice.

As you get used to the site, you will find other details which an obsesssive might regard as untidy. E.g. we are allowed 120 minutes to edit our posts. If we try to post after that time, we see a message saying that we have exceeded the FOUR hour limit. Work it out. Confuses lots of people. People also spot uncorrected spelling mistakes. Why not see if you can find them?

edit on 2-4-2022 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Tracking an alias you created, by showing who you gave a star to. Isn't really a privacy concern.

In your opinion, others may differ.

I am bored though and ATS is rather "dead". Something to do for a moment at least?

Okay...

The whole "internet" is tracking you so just give up, Is such a defeated attitude.

Who said anything about giving up? This is a conspiracy site.

Then realize the people who run ATS are using that technology to track you.

We're all aware of it, but when we have a new member who wants to know who stars what, make private messages public, and how ATS knows how many topics since he last visited...well, it just kinda gave me Hitchcock vibes. His life was defined by anxiety and paranoia.

Yeah I know..."Just because I'm paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get me."

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 07:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: BrokenCircles

originally posted by: Klassified
With all due respect, first you wanted to see who stars what. Then you thought private messages should be public....

I thought that was an April Fools Day thing.

As XXXN30 said, So did I until I noticed a pattern. It's not like all of us are here because we don't have a care, but I don't need to know who starred you, or read your messages. And this website is free...that means we are the product.

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELI

I actually mentioned something about the edit in another thread. How the button does eventually disappear. Just it doesn't disappear when you can no longer edit.

As I have said here, I should have waited and then attempted to replicate the results. It does appear it could just be broken, It may be dumb luck that it got the number "right".

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Can't disagree with that. The private messages thing was an actual joke. On April Fools day even. No seriousness to that, The stars however I do think it should show who gave the them. They are not important? Right. So, Many would just not give them, If they did not want people to know it was they who did it?

It really does seem to bother people here, That I think their alias should be attached to the star.

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 12:51 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 01:19 PM
link   
If it was able to track you getting weird it would have said eight...

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 01:27 PM
link   
a reply to: DISRAELIOh this is a good one for missing time conspiracy theory that can directly be experienced on ATS that 120 minutes... Oh no edit; come on ATS how's it been four hours since that post? I swear it was *like 35 minutes tops.

*beng the find X value in it adding up or not.

posted on Apr, 2 2022 @ 02:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Crowfoot
No, it's evidence that ATS is on a different kind of timeline. Thirty-minute hours.

posted on Apr, 3 2022 @ 09:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Am I missing something here? Not your post Klas, the whole thread.

OK so the software known how long it's been since you logged into it, so it knows what's been posted since that time, it shows it to you, and somehow that's tracking? I don't see the correlation here.

I may just be completely dumb but.. it could be too much coffee too.

posted on Apr, 4 2022 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: vkey08
Actually no. I think you understood completely.

posted on Apr, 6 2022 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: vkey08

Just know the OP got banned for this thread.

What he was saying though, Is he wasn't logged in at the time viewing those 5 new topics. Later when he logged in there were 3 more additional topics. 3+5=8. It was the expected number of topics created cause he did not see those 5 topics while logged in.

However as he said, The number of new topics displayed was 3. He said it himself not a very big concern. Just that he noticed it from time to time. He also stated that feature could be 'broken' and it was mere happenstance.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join