It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Since babies and fetuses can be diagnosed with 'Down Syndrome' why is there not an 'Up Syndrome'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   
There may be a conspiracy or just plain ignorance going on the medical field today. A friend of my family got pregnant about 13 years ago in Germany, she was not married and did not wish to marry the man who she was with. The maternity doctor she saw over there told her that her child had down syndrome and she should abort for her own sake, this was in her first trimester. She was shocked by this and decided to keep the child and returned home. The child turned out normal, excels in school and was placed in the gifted program. The doctor who made the diagnosis was absolutly wrong.

While I realize that over-population is a problem I believe many opt for an abortion based on limited evidence and a pushy doctor. How can a doctor be allowed to diagnosed a child so early in a pregnancy as 'down-syndrome' or other serious problems. I know there are obvious cases of a fetus not developing right and good doctors have options to protect and save the child and mother but I fear many cases or over-diagnosed and the baby is placed on unnecessary meds that may cause long term damage or worse.

Since the medical defination of Down Syndrome is someone who has an extra chromosome that results in mental retardation(though not always according to some sources), and according to the masses any person who is retarded has Down Syndrome; why isn't there an Up Syndrome(***or as IC would say an Indigo Child***), someone who has a good genetic makeup who should excel and perhaps be a prodigy. Is it even right to label someone either Up or Down?

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Any so called doctor that tells a patient that they should abort a child because the child has downs should be drug into the streets and shot. That so called doctor should not be giving such idiotic advice. Downs people can live very full and productive lives not to mention how sensitive and innocent they are. I have a brother with downs and I am very proud of him and I am very happy to have such a wonderful bro. It breaks my heart to even think someone would advise another person to abort because of downs. Sorry for ranting It just hit a nerve

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Its messed up that a doctor would do that. The fact that the doctor was wrong just shows to me how little so called experts really know. I believe the doctor gave this advise largley because she was a single women with a mixed heritage.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Good grief man, Down's Syndrome is named after John Down (1828–1896), the British doctor who recognized it.

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Good grief man, Down's Syndrome is named after John Down (1828–1896), the British doctor who recognized it.

sry i had to laugh...

"good grief"

posted on Mar, 30 2005 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by they see ALL

sry i had to laugh...

"good grief"

Charlie Brown's syndrome.

posted on Mar, 31 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Clown's Syndrome

for the 100th thread of mine you all have moved. Maybe I should be getting docked points for posting off topic stuff.

posted on Jun, 8 2005 @ 12:24 AM
link   
ever since i was a child, i have been very frightened of people with down's syndrome, as well as those with mental retardation. i do not know what scares me about them, just whenever i see them, i get very frightened, and that disturbs me, because i don't think i have any reason to fear them.

posted on Jul, 22 2005 @ 11:57 AM
link   
The reason there is no "Up" syndrome is because then people would want a Sideways syndrome, a 60 degree syndrome, etc.

posted on Aug, 1 2005 @ 07:25 PM
link   
My bad...I actually thought the original post was a joke?

I got nuthin'. But I think I'm going to do a little rant in the Rant forum, about my 3 ATS rules...

1. Thou Shalt Google!
2. Thou Shalt Snopes, too!
3. Thou Shalt read every post that goeth before ye in a particular thread, if ye wanteth to answer that thread..

Obviously #1 applies here

[edit on 1-8-2005 by Tinkleflower]

posted on Aug, 6 2005 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrod
...according to the masses any person who is retarded has Down Syndrome....

Where did you get this idea?

top topics

join