It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9 Places to Find Food After a Collapse of Society

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2022 @ 08:16 AM
link   
You represent the more trusting type of Gentleman. I was kind of afraid to reply with my experiences because some of them are non-typical. I hope if me or mine ever need help that we run into someone like you. I do understand Your philosophy and in an ideal place and time it is good and noble.

But Im afraid that in a societal collapse, you would quickly be taken advantage of and picked clean.

Those fools that leave the keys in the trucks are sixth generation beef people. They homesteaded this area. Must not be that big of fools...They figure a truck can be replaced, wife and kids, not so much. Plus they have insurance. Thats their reasoning.

And yes over the years their trucks have all been taken at some point, and get found wrecked in another county..seriously.

Its a mindset that I found very odd the first time it was explained to me.

Thanks again for the thoughtful reply.

Elbo Grees

a reply to: TheRedneck

edit on 11-2-2022 by didntasktobeborned because: sign

posted on Feb, 11 2022 @ 01:52 PM
link   
a reply to: didntasktobeborned

You represent the more trusting type of Gentleman.

First of all, never be afraid to reply. We may disagree, but that's what the forum is here for: to try and let people understand each other.

Actually, I consider myself as kind of a suspicious fellow. I figure everyone who comes to my door (except those I have already vetted) is looking for something to steal. That's why I watch them so closely. I know my place, and I always give them a chance to take something. If they walk on by, they build a little trust. If they take it, they're out of here... at the point of a gun if need be.

There are a few people who are not allowed on my property. Period. No questions; stay off or stay forever. Strangely enough, the worst ones are not even that needy... some are fairly well off, but they'll steal a man blind if he lets them. The latest addition to that list falls into that category; I had heard of before I met him, so I gave him enough rope and he hung himself. He'll never be back (or if he does, he won't survive the attempt).

On the other hand, one guy comes to mind that I was initially very concerned about, but I needed the help and he needed money to feed his kids. I gave him a job where I could keep an eye on him; he performed it flawlessly. There were some nice tools where he was working; I booby-trapped the area after he left just in case. He walked by the temptation, and I gave him more work. He turned out to be a good worker and never stole a thing.

He can come back any time, and I'll help him if I can. I'll also vouch for him if anyone asks.

Those fools that leave the keys in the trucks are sixth generation beef people. They homesteaded this area. Must not be that big of fools...They figure a truck can be replaced, wife and kids, not so much. Plus they have insurance. Thats their reasoning.

No offense intended to them, but it sounds to me like they're just letting insurance buy them a new truck along. They've been lucky IMO that someone hasn't picked them for an easy target and gone after more than the truck.

In a societal collapse, things will of course change; people will become more suspicious. My post and the directions in it are said for the person who simply wants to survive away from the city. They won't do so by stealing. Their only chance to live another day is to show respect for those already out here.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 09:48 AM
link   

but it sounds to me like they're just letting insurance buy them a new truck along.

Yes Sir. I know for a fact Jewish lightning strikes a barn once in a while. Ive seen claims for loads of cattle that were stolen under the direction of the owners. Most of these 'Farmers' are so crooked that when they die they'll be screwed into the ground instead of buried...Although I learned a lot from some of them...I was able to not become involved in any of the shenanigans, and now they are just old fair weather friends I wave at if I see...And I don't know them if anyone asks.
For a while this one cattle company owner would buy nothing but what he called grade D cattle from the yards. Basically the only requirement was that the cow had to be able to walk out of the trailer, cancer eyed nasties..You know..McDonalds cows..Ive seen some of the most inhumane crap you can imagine concerning animals on the farm..Im pretty leary of any livestock folks these days. Not talking about hobby farmers, most of those people are great..But the big land and cattle barons..dirty as dirty gets.

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 09:55 AM
link   
If you are really desperate just look for a democrat town hall meeting.

They are a bit stringy and distasteful, but, they are dumb as a box of hammers and very easily trapped. In fact, you can just draw a box on the ground and label it "escape proof". A wondering democrat will stumble in, see the label and sit there waiting for someone to bring him a therapy rodent to snuggle his feewings...

posted on Feb, 12 2022 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: didntasktobeborned

Farmers are just people; there are good ones and bad ones. Most of the ones around here are good people who will help others. A few are... well, the south end of a northbound donkey.

One guy ranches near me. He's got some good cattle, mostly Angus, none of those McDonald's cows in his pastures, but he's not going to be one to help a stranger. I've dealt with his a few times, and while I am civil to him (as long as he is civil to me), I prefer to not have any more dealings with him. Long story.

But he's the exception, not the rule. For the most part, if I needed help (from say, a tornado) the farmers around here would be the first in live to offer. And vice versa of course.

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 11 2022 @ 10:06 PM
link   
#2 corn is only in the field for a few DAYS when it is ripe/edible but not yet harvested. A week earlier it's like wet newspaper. You want it to dry down below 18% moisture, and that can stay in the field for months. But it's also rock-hard by that point. Animal feed only.

The Farmers I worked for as a kid would plant sweet corn (the delicacy at the 4th of July picnic) in the middle of a field, with both ends of the rows carefully planted as feed corn (rock-hard). This was partly because of raccoons, and partly because of the human bandits---usually high school kids who wanted to roast sweet corn over their bonfire at their drunken summer parties.

The sweet corn, where I worked, was ripe in June. The other was ripe in October or after.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join