It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neo-Liberalcon Economics: The Hidden Fist (AKA) The War on Terror

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
What is the Hidden Hand?

...every individual necessarily labours to render the annual revenue of the society as great as he can. He generally, indeed, neither intends to promote the public interest, nor knows how much he is promoting it.

By preferring the support of domestic to that of foreign industry, he intends only his own security; and by directing that industry in such a manner as its produce may be of the greatest value, he intends only his own gain, and he is in this, as in many other cases, led by an invisible hand to promote an end which was no part of his intention.

Nor is it always the worse for the society that it was no part of it. By pursuing his own interest he frequently promotes that of the society more effectually than when he really intends to promote it. I have never known much good done by those who affected to trade for the public good. . . " Adam Smith Quote

Adam Smith was an 18th century economist among other things who introduced into the world the idea of a "hidden hand" that guides us all.

It is my idea today that the "hidden hand" will not work today without a "hidden fist".

Globalization at Gunpoint

Five months earlier, New York Times foreign affairs columnist Thomas Friedman explained to his readers that the “globalisation” of US corporate-dominated markets required the “hidden fist” of the US military: “For globalisation to work, America can't be afraid to act like the almighty superpower that it is. The hidden hand of the market will never work without a hidden fist. McDonald's cannot flourish without McDonald-Douglas, the designer of the F-15, and the hidden fist that keeps the world safe for Silicon Valley's technology is called the United States Army, Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps.”

The fact that the US military serves as the fist to keep the “world safe” for the profit-making interests of US corporations is only hidden from the general public because the corporate-owned media and the pro-capitalist politicians rarely admit the connection.

US Major-General Smedley Butler recognised the connection. In his 1933 book War is a Racket, Butler wrote: “I spent 33 years and four months in active military service as a member of this country's most agile military force, the Marine Corps... And during that period, I spent most of my time being a high-class muscleman for big business, for Wall Street and for the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism...
Globlaization at Gunpoint

Initial questions and thoughts

With all the latest developments in the world can we argue this hasn't changed? Capitalism and it's 'hidden hand' indeed needs a 'hidden fist' aka Globalization at Gunpoint, to accomplish it's mission of world dominance. And lastly, doesn't the majority of the U.S. believe in rugged individualism? Is this just a new name for self-centeredness? Is the belief of greed looked down upon yet held by many? Grab what you can when the grabbing is good, take care of youirself first. Don't worry how you squash others to reach the top. The "hidden hand" of Adam mith will take care of everyone somehow and pnce you get rich, you will be better, more effective, a winner - a success. Let's not let this "Hidden Hand" of Adam Smith be perverted with a "Hidden Fist" of Western Cultural, Poiltical and Military Imperialism.

[edit on 29-3-2005 by 00PS]

join