It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this the idea life cycle of hobbies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2021 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I don't know about you all "maybe it is just the capitalist in me," but this seems to be my hobby life cycle for better or worse:

Find something I'm passionate about or enjoy doing.

Hone my skills and network with like minded "often more skilled" individuals until I feel comfortable teaching it to others.

Realize I have lost interest in old hobby at about same time I start looking for ways to capitalize on time this new hobby has taken up.

If I find a way to capitalize on the new hobby it becomes a new revenue stream and slowly feels like work and I eventually find a new one.

If I don't find a way to capitalize on it it eventually feels like a resource or time waster and I eventually find a new one.

Today I realized I'm at the found a new one want to ditch the old one, so have started thinking about capitalization stage.

I know there are some very enterprising minds on here so figured I would share and see if any of you have a similar experience with hobbies or if it's just me.

Is it healthy or normal if I go through hobbies which become enterprises and or fade every 3-9 years or so?

Am I missing an important step in the process?

I have become used to it enough that I have identified the stages without feeling like I have been dictating them and they seem to work at keeping me happy and engaged. Minus the small amount of stress or considerations of the current stage I find myself in, this whole process has felt quite natural to me and, so now I'm wondering if it is natural and if it could or should be improved upon.

edit on 5-12-2021 by Stevenmonet because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2021 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Stevenmonet

Is it healthy or normal if I go through hobbies which become enterprises and or fade every 3-9 years or so?

Yes. A wise man once said to me, if you do not enjoy the learning curve anymore, you probably reached the point where it would take you the rest of your life in dedication to master this skill completely.

It's in a way related to hobbies. Whatever it gave to you, you're satisfied and moved on. I think you underestimate the amount you can and are capitalizing from your former hobbies.

Like the things you learned and concepts. Also the fun you had. I capitalized on my hobby and it took away some of the magic. I knew that before though.

Life is about learning / experiencing so there is no way to tell you what or if you miss something.

posted on Dec, 5 2021 @ 01:06 PM
link   
a reply to: ThatDamnDuckAgain

Thanks for that. He sounds like a wise man indeed. I have had many hobbies and professions I have felt adept enough at to at least teach it to others, but I've never called myself an expert at anything.

Being an expert implies a lifetime dedicated to one specialty, "at least to me" and at 38 I just don't feel I have specialized in anything let alone lived long enough to earn that title.

Maybe some day, but I doubt it.

posted on Dec, 5 2021 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Anything that ceases to be fun for you ceases to be a hobby. Now I am not talking about times when a particular facet of a project frustrates you, but I'm talking about just the general grind of it. If you find you're doing something for any reason other than because you genuinely enjoy it and look forward to it, then maybe it's less of a hobby than you thought.

How and when you cross that threshold varies from person to person I think. I don't know if your cycle holds true for every person out there. But I do think the line I describe above will be true regardless of how the rest of the cycle played out.

posted on Dec, 28 2023 @ 07:19 AM
link   

edit on Thu Dec 28 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

top topics

join