It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Battlefield Trauma Medical Treatment System, The Future is Now

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 11:49 AM
link   
In the near future, the need for battlefield medics may be obsolete. The Pentagon has authorized DARPA the Defense Advanced Research Project Agency, through a multi-organization team led by SRI International, to begin a two-year project to develop a totally unmanned, automated medical treatment system for the battlefield.

www.msnbc.msn.com
The Pentagon is awarding $12 million in grants on Monday to develop an unmanned "trauma pod" designed to use robots to perform full scalpel-and-stitch surgeries on wounded soldiers in battlefield conditions.

"The main challenge is how can we get high-quality medical care onto the battlefield as close to the action and as close to the soldiers as possible," said John Bashkin, head of business development at SRI International, a nonprofit laboratory that often handles Defense Department research. "Right now, the resources are pretty limited to what a medic can carry with him."

The Pentagon, which spent $3 billion on unmanned aerial vehicles between 1991 and 1999, is expected to spend upward of $10 billion through 2010. Under a congressional mandate, the Defense Department is pushing for one-third of its ground vehicles to be unmanned by 2015.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Until the day comes when war will be Unnecessary, the need for exceptional medical care for our men and women in battle is essential. In the past medical personell in the battlefield are primary targets that makes them a high commodity, but it also makes them a liability. The possibility of having Unmanned Medical Treatment System in place to take up where medics would be too valuable a commodity to place in harms way, is an extreme advantage over any military force in the field currently.

Related News Links:
www.sri.com

[edit on 3/28/2005 by Phaethor]

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Another Medical Use for Unmanned vehicles, is checking suspected WMD areas after they have been targetd for any agents that would be detrimental to the lives of civilian and military populations iin the general area of the target.

Into the Cauldron

Phae

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Wow that sounds pretty damn advanced.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
sounds like america is preparing for war... again..

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
this sound pretty freek to me.
and if I were the one under the knife of some dumb bucket of nuts and bolts, I would be more scared of that thing then of the dang battle.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Just a bit of FYI, SRI International (I spent a summer working int he Credit Union there) has had ties to alot of classified stuff over the years. Located in menlo park, CA, it participated in the MKULTRA experiments, backscatter radar and the mouse was invented there.

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
i wouldn't put my life in the hands of a robot...

posted on Mar, 28 2005 @ 07:41 PM
link   
ONe word...SKYNET...

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   
These are Life Savers. The opposition says things like dumb bucket of bolts, not putting their life in the hands of a robot. I say your willing to risk the lives of your fellow soldiers, when another option has the capability of saving your life without the risk of sacrificing others? Thats pretty selfish.

These devices have no fear of the incoming artillary and bullets, something that the trauma and stress of risking your life a field medic has to face.

They aren't dumb buckets of bolts. The complex algorithms needed to perform these tasks make these devices beyond many human comparisons. And we're talking about emergency life saving medical treatments. Stopping bleeding arteries etc.. We're not talking about performing brain surgery in the battlefield.

These devices are also sterilized and precise. Robotic arms arm more acurate, steady and gentle enough to hold eggs without breaking the shell. The scanning, video, computer analasys equipment that they can carry will be better able to identify problems and conditions and quickly and correctly provide the solution, let me stress LIFE SAVING Medical Treatment, and safely get the wounded soldier out of the battlefield to a safe location where medics can perform the advanced medical treatment, that is necessary AFTER the emergency life saving treatment.

Everyday we rely on EMT's to perform Emergency Life Saving Medical Treatment, that is necessary to keep a person alive long enough to get them to a Hospital. This is no different, only more accurate, especially in a battle field situation.

We already rely on devices like these to build our cars, trucks, suv's that we drive EVERY Day. Are you going to give up your vehicle because it was built by a robot? Devices like these are in our lives everywhere. We rely on them more than most people realize.

If yet another one can provide life saving treatment in a battle field, save lives, and prevent the loss of human medical personnell.

Then, in my eyes, It becomes essential.

Phae

[edit on 3/29/2005 by Phaethor]

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   
The story I heard on the radio about these yesterday was they are developing a 100% lag FREE network that will allow actual surgeons to manipulate the robots and perfom the needed first aid/combat surgery.

I understood them to say these robots will NOT be doing anything on "their own" they will more of an extension of the Doctor's own hands...

m...

posted on Mar, 29 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Well if it's lag free then the Docs have to be within a rather short range. Still puts them close to the combat zones but I guess it's safer then working on the Battelfield.

top topics

join