It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Markers to Create Liquid Reflections and Smog

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2021 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Hey art people,

I am curious if any of you artistic folks out here use markers for illustration and if you do I was curious to know if y'all have had any success attempting to create dynamic reflections over a moving liquid surface and/or used them to any great effect creating smog or clouds without the use of colored pencils?

Currently I am at a stage on a test design for a new poster I am trying to hammer out and have an abundance of pro grade markers I don't know how to use (look at my other work, I am #ing terrible) and am looking for some tips and tricks if anyone out there has any.

Even crawling through the interwebs I have not seen anything done to the scale/ effect I am looking to accomplish so no real help there.

I didn't curse enough in this op either

Thanks in advance.

Your friendly neighbor hood badger

posted on Oct, 28 2021 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Brotherman

Dammit people lack of suggestions prolly cause I didn't post the #ing concept. Open bar on me to attone for my sins.

posted on Oct, 28 2021 @ 08:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Brotherman

Dammit people lack of suggestions prolly cause I didn't post the #ing concept. Open bar on me to attone for my sins.

Edit: I'm looking around the internet to find how to get that look you're trying to get.

Edit 2: my sisters good with this stuff... I'll ask her😊

This is pretty darn good work! I might have to purchase that👍🏼
I don't use markers but this is really good work.

I stick with acrylic

Old pics..

edit on 28-10-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2021 @ 09:30 AM
link   

I am in no way an artist, I have zero drawing skills but I occasionaly watch this channel on youtube and am gobsmaked by how realistic he achieves reflections, maybe it will help

Michael James Smith

posted on Oct, 28 2021 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well, to create the illusion of smog or clouds without using any pens, you'll simply have to make things "vanish" where you want the smog or clouds to be. You can do that by thinning the lines until they disappear where the smog would be denser.

As for the reflections, each reflection is a distorted image of the original. You just need to come up with a doodle that represents the distorted image you want reflected and put it where it should.

Before doing that, take some time to study how reflections on water works in nature.

Does that answer your questions?

Also, you could use blue no repro pens for you base drawing so they don't show from afar and on pictures or videos or during mechanical reproduction.

Keep practicing; it's the only way to progress!
edit on 28-10-2021 by coamanach because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2021 @ 01:15 PM
link   
As a side note, to help with depth, when drawing, you generally need to make the lines of the forground characters/objects a bit thicker than in the background.

And with the light being in the back of the character, you could go for just the shadow on the water, deformed by its movement, with touches of light here and there, put towards the light source, of course.

posted on Oct, 28 2021 @ 03:41 PM
link   
a reply to: coamanach

I’m specifically talking about markers, pens paint pencils no problem. I’m new to markers and trying to learn how to use them to a decent degree.

posted on Oct, 28 2021 @ 05:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

This is just a test piece if you want it it’s yours bro I didn’t really put much thought into the overall endgame here as I’m working out how to utilize my new tools. The final piece will be a lot smoother and on better quality art board that’s more accepting to the markers.

The design will be very similar to this though. Going for sonic 2 chemical plant zone. Only I m still hung up on what color chaos emerald I want to use and still deciding sonic or super sonic and the pose as well as his facial expression.

This is only a test

posted on Oct, 29 2021 @ 12:24 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Oct, 29 2021 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Looking good brother!

I'm no help with markers either, I started with rapidographs and moved up to paint from there.

The people who know em definitely know em well it seems.

Best of luck and thanks for sharing

posted on Oct, 29 2021 @ 09:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Aliquandro

I imagine here I am barking up or down the wrong tree.

top topics

join