It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: NRA Leader Advocates Guns for Teachers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
A top official for the National Rifle Association has advocated that arming teachers with guns needs to be considered. NRA's first vice president, Sandra S. Froman, made the statement to the Associated Press. Froman is expected to become the NRA's president next month. She cited a 1997 incident where a teacher retrieved a firearm from thier car and held a student at bay.

story.news.yahoo.com
PHOENIX - All options should be considered to prevent rampages like the Minnesota school shooting that took 10 lives — including making guns available to teachers, a top National Rifle Association leader said Friday.

"I'm not saying that that means every teacher should have a gun or not, but what I am saying is we need to look at all the options at what will truly protect the students," the NRA's first vice president, Sandra S. Froman, told The Associated Press.

Gun-control restrictions would not have prevented Jeff Weise, 16, from killing nine people and himself Monday at Red Lake High School near Bemidji, Minn., said Froman, an attorney expected next month to be elected president of the NRA, which claims 4 million members.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Here come the vultures. If we start arming our teachers the WE ARE DONE! Let me say it again: WE ARE DONE. Its over period. How exactly is arming teachers going to make a difference here? Why not allow everybody to be packing heat at school. You would sure weed out the trouble makers in no time flat. If a few innocents get hit, its a small price to pay right? I am a gun owner myself, but at some point you have to draw the line. There is no way this lady is that asinine, she must be doing it for talking points or something.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I agree totally, guns should be totally banned from anywhere near schools.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Haha. Look out people, he could be your math teacher.

But seriousely, teachers with guns?

What is the state of gun control in the states anyway? Are automatic weapons banned? Or semi-automatic weapons?

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:12 AM
link   
That is stupid! If anything only security guards and school cops should be considered for carrying firearms. They should just give the guards and maybe a few teachers some of them cop tasers that shoot some distance.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
We're already done. When such a proposal can be rationally proferred the situation has already become unmanageable. Arming teachers is not the answer to the problem, but it is a rational response to the problem. The real problem is that most teachers would wind up shooting themselves in the foot.

Regard this cop.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Reading through all of the negative responses this has garnered has made me ill. If you are going to take a position in the gun control issue it should not be based on a knee jerk reaction to the ick factor of guns or incidents of random violence.
And no Full auto weapons are not banned but require very strict licenses that can take years to get and you have to pay a 500 dollar fee per weapon. And just for fyi the last murder committed with a legally owned machine gun happened in 1936 and the murderer was a cop!!
And once again no guns should not be restricted from schools... as I recall the 2nd ammendment had no location stipulations. I can understand federal buildings and other secure facilities, but the regulation governmental and otherwise on where you can and cannot carry is ridiculous and counter productive.
I am also not saying they should arm teachers either, it should fall to the individual teacher's personal choice as it is guaranteed to them in the constitution. And for those of you who will jump me for this go ahead but also realize that in some areas teachers can and do carry guns if they choose to.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Sugarlump, I do not know even where to begin :shk:

How about the NRA's knee jerk reaction. Do they keep flyer's with "THIS Tragedy AT __________ (Fill In Name) COULD HAVE PREVENTED IF EVERYBODY WAS PACKING HEAT" In some file somewhere?

It is far from a knee jerk reaction and I have no "Ick" factor about guns and own several myself.

Yes the vaunted 2nd amendment has no area stipulations, but the Courts including the Supreme Court have upheld time and time again a schools right to control its environment. IE. Uniforms etc etc. Its interesting to see you have no problem with a federal building being gun free, but an institution that educates and cares for children is okay?

Where exactly are teachers packing heat?

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sugarlump
And no Full auto weapons are not banned but require very strict licenses that can take years to get and you have to pay a 500 dollar fee per weapon. And just for fyi the last murder committed with a legally owned machine gun happened in 1936 and the murderer was a cop!!

You can legally own Machine Guns??!?!?!!?!??!

But seriousely, i was talking about Fully automatic pistols and sub-machine guns. If any shootings are going to be done, those 2 weapons are extremely dangerous.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 03:16 AM
link   
Yes Rapier... In the good ol' USA, if you can get the clearance for licensure, and have the cash for it, you too could be the proud ownere of one, weapon, fully automatic with accompanying ammunition.

Licenseable fully automatic weapons are very expensive. The license is 500 bucks a a pop, and you must pass a failry stringent clearance.

Of course ... If you aren't too proud, you can probably go to some large city back streets, lay down a few hundred and get a highly illegal Uzi.

But seriousely, i was talking about Fully automatic pistols and sub-machine guns. If any shootings are going to be done, those 2 weapons are extremely dangerous.

Old Buddy ... This borders on a silly statement. Any firearm that is aimed with an intent to shoot anybody is extremely dangerous. Say, for example, here's your choice. Get shot with a .44 Magnum, in the heart, or a submachine gun, 9mm, in the heart? Which would kill you deader?

Before anybody jumps me one way or the other, I am pro-gun ...

Now jump!

Edited to include smardazz comment about killing someone deader.

[edit on 26-3-2005 by sigung86]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Date: July 7, 2006

"Three students wee gunned down in class today by their irate teacher. Lee Enfield (47) was teaching a class when several students arrived late, and became unruly and abusive. When Mr Enfield tried to restore order, three of the late arrivals moved towards him in an aggressive manner. Fearing an attack, Mr Enfield drew his weapon and fired, hitting two wouldbe attackers, and a third with a stray bullet"

An NRA spokesman said this situation could have been prevented if the students had been allowed to carry guns.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Teachers with guns....not kool at all!!!!

Im am all for the NRA and gun ownership as long as strict guidelines are implimented...but this, Im ashamed to be part of the NRA

And if the student takes or gangs up on the 60 yr old teacher and takes his/her gun than what?? huh what?

OC/Pepper spray, that would be a great alternitive and it's non-lethal...and believe me....it will take someone down and take them out of thier
"A" game for at least 30 minutes, long enough for authorities or school security to show up

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 06:54 AM
link   
good posts sugarlump! i agree with you clearly these folks are missing the picture.

the teachers at my daughter(S) school all carry heat and i have zero problem with it. At their school we don't have the "public policy pushers" either since they are home schooled.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 07:18 AM
link   
The key to "teachers with guns" is to have a few who are trained to gun fight and keep it concealed. These few should be known only to the administration.

I believe over in Israel just about all the teacher have a weapon.

Of course if you don't have any faith in your educators then I can see why you wouldn't want them protecting your child.

Roper

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Sorry but this whole story reminds me of a "Problem, reaction, solution" plan to get guns to the teachers. (This is just my opinion)

C'mon peeps why do you want to give a gun to a teacher?? So that he can shoot the kid with the gun. You do not "I REPEAT: DO NOT" fight fire with fire.

Why not make a gun that is fingerprint sensitive??? I know it sound's a bit sci-fi, but it would make the world of difference. Think about it you could have all the guns you wanted but NO ONE may use them except you. That would be the only way to stop gun crime apart from completely taking guns away.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by lister
Date: July 7, 2006

"Three students wee gunned down in class today by their irate teacher. Lee Enfield (47) was teaching a class when several students arrived late, and became unruly and abusive. When Mr Enfield tried to restore order, three of the late arrivals moved towards him in an aggressive manner. Fearing an attack, Mr Enfield drew his weapon and fired, hitting two wouldbe attackers, and a third with a stray bullet"

An NRA spokesman said this situation could have been prevented if the students had been allowed to carry guns.

Good one, make up a story that could happen whether or not its allowed.
How bout this one. Say a student walks in and starts shooting, and instead of shooting and killing 10 he is stopped by a teacher with a gun and only shoots 2. I would much rather have a few teachers around legally carrying firearms than to have my children in a situation that equates to shooting fish in a barrel.

Thank you founding fathers for recognizing my rights so knee jerk reactionists like lister can't take them away from me.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   

C'mon peeps why do you want to give a gun to a teacher?? So that he can shoot the kid with the gun. You do not "I REPEAT: DO NOT" fight fire with fire.

Okay lets just lay down and let them shoot us. What a wonderful idea.

Why not make a gun that is fingerprint sensitive???

What a wonderful idea....NOT. I'd be rather pissed off or dead if I had a gun like that and it malfunctioned when I needed it the most. I'll stick with basic technology thank you very much.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   

That would be the only way to stop gun crime apart from completely taking guns away.

ROFL, now we would have a black market that sells guns that have either don't have that technology or have it disabled. Instead of stopping crime you would make more people victims due to faulty malfunctioning firearms.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Arming teachers. WTF!?! You people who actually support this make me sick! Do you have any idea what the murder stats are for Nations with a "Rigth to Bear Arms" compared to a nation that does not have that "right". Gimme a break. I'm sure if this happens we'll be hearing of Teacher vs. Student gunbattles in no time.

What's next, Legalize Duels again ...........

[edit on 26-3-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

I'm sure if this happens we'll be hearing of Teacher vs. Student gunbattles in no time.

So you prefer a psychotic student to be able to shoot as many others as he can. Only to stop we he decides to do so himself.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   

What's next, Legalize Duels again ...........

If two consenting adults wanted to duel, I wouldn't have a problem with it.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join