It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: US Army to summon 5,000 people from Individual Ready Reserve

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Thanks for the sacrifice Ghaleon4 & thanks from bringing some sensibility into this conversation (subject/thread). Yeah, I sure theres some service folks that would rather be home with the wife & kids rather than back out slaving for Uncle Sam again, but they all understand when they signed up it was a possibility. I think most of the whining is coming from people who are not even directly effected by this - they just hate thw war machine and the administration that pulls its strings.

You're all VERY welcome. I'm personally not a big fan of the war machine, but as soldiers, many of us have given up our platform for a political opinion on things. I do personally find it very disturbing to think that there ARE those out there who would take advantage of the situation and use it for political ends. There are those who would take advantage of the name of U.S. military men & women serving overseas by setting their situation as a platform to complain about the way things are going. But never from some of these people, will you ever see them directly support the troops that they make allusions to in their own personal political fight. I see it all the time. But that's okay. None of us signed up so that we could decide which wars to fight. When I go to combat, my purpose will not be to kill whoever stands in my way. But rather, it will be to defend the lives of the soldiers I am with, because they too did not join so that they could choose the battle. There are two wars being fought right now, and one of them is horribly obvious. The war at home is the 2nd. All any of us can ask, is that when you call our names in debate, please do not use our names in vain. Please remember that we're already there regardless of whether we should be or not. When you're talking with your family and friends, put some thought into your voiced opinions, and please realize that we can't just leave Iraq now. Invading a country for no reason would be just as evil as abandoning it as soon as the last bomb is dropped. When you argue about how much you despise President Bush, do not refer to us as "those poor soldiers over there". For one thing, we're doing fine...and for another...do something about it.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Bah.

This is why I did not enlist eight years ago-because I saw the miliary under Clinton used for political gamesmanship. I chose not to enlist because I knew that enlistment was a voluntary agreement to be used in any war, for any reason, poorly planned and executed, or not. I read the paperwork, and made the choice.

Those serving did the same. I praise them for the courage to be less selfish than I am. But when they get on their cell phones and cry to mommy and media tha they have to do what the Military is there for-that bugs me.

You sign knowing you'll be there. You sign knowing you are expected to follow orders and you do not get to pick and choose which ones to follow. You do not sign for college money, or to impress girls, or to get out of town. You sign up to "break things and hurt people", and are assigned to do these violent things, or to assist those who do.

I swear, any more of this media spin from the Kennedy/Clinton camp followers and I'm gonna puke.

Originally posted by curme
Why don't more people support our troops? When they really need it? Serving your active duty time honorably, you understand if you get called back for a national emergency, not gross incompetence. These men and women did their time, it's not their fault we are fighting a "war" that was poorly planned and executed. If you supported the troops, you'd be outraged that these servicemen and women aren't allowed to start normal lives. No, you don't support the troops, you don't have their welfare at heart, you support the government. Above the troops, and how they deserve to be treated fighting for you and your freedoms.

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
AMEN Phugedaboudet !!

nothing bugs me more than someone who has their family crying to the media that " my [insert relation here] didn't sign up for this war, he/she just wanted to go to college"

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by trogdor
AMEN Phugedaboudet !!

nothing bugs me more than someone who has their family crying to the media that " my [insert relation here] didn't sign up for this war, he/she just wanted to go to college"

I agree trogudor! How about those cry babies who want body armor, good medical care, and decent pay? They have no right to complain for unfair treatment, it's their own fault! Hey, they signed on the dotted line!

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

I agree trogudor! How about those cry babies who want body armor, good medical care, and decent pay? They have no right to complain for unfair treatment, it's their own fault! Hey, they signed on the dotted line!

let's see where to start with this one ..... 1. wanted decent pay: you know you're right, I thought when I enlisted I was going to make at least 80k a year. The truth is, I think a lot of people in the military ARE underpaid, but, considering the pay scale is posted and available on the internet, there shouldn't have been much surprise. I felt I was doing pretty well in the military. I had a free house (which was brand new and pretty nice by the way), no electric bill, no gas bill, no water/sewage bill.

2. As for medical care, I'm sure you're referring to the stories of troops coming home and not getting the care they need. I'm sure it does happen. I'm also sure it's not due to the policies of the government. I know I could see a doctor anytime I needed and so could my family and it didn't cost me a dime. The care my family and I received was just as good as what I receive on the civilian side and I don't pay $600 a month for it.

3. As for the body armor, I don't know what the deal is with that so I won't pretend to. I'm pretty sure though that if the government has it, they would give it to the troops. I doubt they've got it stashed somewhere so it doesn't get dirty.

Bottomline is I think the military is a great way to live. I've already told my son that I'd like to see him do the same. It was better than I expected actually and I'd do it all over again.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join