It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Informed Consent

page: 1

join
share:
+14 more 
posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 06:17 PM
link   
According to the NIH, there are ethical and legal standards regarding a patient's right to guide his/her own health regimen.
To define informed consent,

Informed consent is both an ethical and legal obligation of medical practitioners in the US and originates from the patient's right to direct what happens to their body."

What are the requirements of informed consent?

required elements for documentation of the informed consent discussion: (1) the nature of the procedure (2) the risks and benefits of the procedure (3) reasonable alternatives (4) risks and benefits of alternatives, and (5) assessment of patient's understanding of elements 1 through 4.

It would certainly seem as if at least numbers 2-4 of the above list are currently being ignored.

An important detail regarding informed consent:

It is the obligation of the provider to make it clear that the patient is participating in the decision-making process and avoid making the patient feel forced to agree with the provider.

Hmm. Okay. Sounds good to me! Unfortunately, our media does not agree with the legal and ethical medical considerations and will malign anyone making a choice which would differ from the party dictates.

Are there any exceptions to informed consent?

Exceptions to informed consent (1) patient incapacitation (2) life threatening emergencies w/ inadequate time to consent, and (3) voluntary waived consent

Seems like the medical industrial complex is currently relying on that third option, voluntary waived consent. The problem there is that they are not providing the public with any alternatives or with a proper understanding of risks and benefits.

Finally, what does informed consent say about minors?

Children (typically under 17) cannot provide informed consent. As such, parents must permit treatments or interventions. In this case, it not termed "informed consent" but "informed permission." An exception to this rule is a legally emancipated child who may provide informed consent for himself.

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Thanks for reading. I'm looking forward to any comments on the subject, and I hope you have a great night

edit on 22-8-2021 by zosimov because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 06:20 PM
link   
There is no such thing as "informed consent" now!

Seriously!

There is only..."GET IN LINE!!!"

Informed consent was a bygone era.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 06:44 PM
link   
a reply to: zosimov

Trump had a treatment when he caught covid 19. It seemed pretty viable.
Should be no need for EUA for these covid vaccines.
I'd prefer that treatment since it worked on the leader of the free world.
What a great test.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Regarding informed consent...

My brother has, this week, been diagnosed with covid and pneumonia. Long story short...he was having some trouble breathing again and went to the ER Friday night. He told me today that the ER doctor had asked him if he had been vaccinated yet. My brother said "no, because the vaccines have not been approved by the FDA". The ER doctor said "yes, they have all been approved by the FDA!!

In the process of getting approved is different than actually being approved imo. So I am thinking - how many people has the ER doctor said this to? how many have given their "informed" consent? I feel people are really getting to make an informed decision about them not being approved yet. Am I way off on this? I'm not sure any more. How do you guys feel about this?

stars for your post btw!

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 07:18 PM
link   

I assume that this is about being vaccinated.

You have a choice. Often making a choice means deciding between one thing and another.

You can, for example, chose to not vaccinate your children for measles, mumps, and rubella. In doing so, you are deciding that they will not be able to attend most schools. You can decide to have a COVID vaccination, or not.

I was quite well informed before I was vaccinated, btw.
edit on 8/22/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 08:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I assume that this is about being vaccinated.

You have a choice. Often making a choice means deciding between one thing and another.

You can, for example, chose to not vaccinate your children for measles, mumps, and rubella. In doing so, you are deciding that they will not be able to attend most schools. You can decide to have a COVID vaccination, or not.

I was quite well informed before I was vaccinated, btw.

Hi Phage,

Well, yes and no (regarding the core message here). This is about informed consent, specifically, but true it's also meant to be in regard to the vaccine.

I'm glad to hear you had an ethical doctor who understands patients' legal rights.
I'd be curious as to which alternatives your doctor offered, and what the benefits or risks of the alternative treatments laid out.
Sadly, my parents, husband, daughter, and the two friends I've discussed the matter with were not so lucky as you.
For example, my friends had no idea that the vaccine was only approved for emergency use (not FDA approved).
My dad had heard nothing about the possible risk of heart inflammation.
My daughter got no advice concerning the natural immunity for her age group and health profile.
There's more, but you get the point.

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Sadly, my parents, husband, daughter, and the two friends I've discussed the matter with were not so lucky as you.
Did you tell them of your concerns? Did they not sign a consent statement before being vaccinated?

This is what I signed.

I verify that I have been provided with and have read (or had read to me) (1) the Fact Sheet for Recipients and Caregivers for the Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the Moderna COVID-19 vaccine (“Vaccine”); (2) this Moderna COVID-19 Vaccination Consent and Release Form; and (3) any additional information provided to me concerning COVID-19 vaccination. I acknowledge that I have had a chance to ask questions of a healthcare professional about the Vaccine. I understand that the Vaccine will be given in two separate doses, at least four weeks apart. I understand the known risks and the potential benefits of receiving the Vaccine, and I understand there may be risks to the Vaccine that are not known at this time. I understand that the FDA has authorized use of the Vaccine under an Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) and that there is currently not enough scientific evidence available for the FDA to fully approve this or any other COVID-19 vaccine. I nonetheless request and consent to the Vaccine being given to me.

Do they just sign anything put in front of them?
edit on 8/22/2021 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I did not. My parents, friends, (well I did talk to my husband about it) are adults and I trusted they made the best decision regarding their own health. The conversations I mentioned were post vaccine and just in passing.

As for my (step) daughter, I also did not. She, my husband, and his family, all wanted that for her so all I did was ask if she wanted it and kept quiet (wouldn't it be sad if she were swayed by threats such as yours above that she wouldn't be able to go to school, participate in sports, life etc?)

BTW: I don't see any alternative treatments discussed on that release form and the risks are vague and unknown according to their own admission (see numbers 2, 3 and 4 of the required elements of informed consent outlined above).

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Yup for detailed info from actual lawyers watch this:

americasfrontlinedoctors.org...

posted on Aug, 22 2021 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: nOraKat

And donate. For sure.

posted on Aug, 23 2021 @ 06:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: zosimov

BTW: I don't see any alternative treatments discussed on that release form and the risks are vague and unknown according to their own admission (see numbers 2, 3 and 4 of the required elements of informed consent outlined above).

new topics

top topics

join