It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scammers gonna scam

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Monday of this week, my daughter was backing out of a parking space at McDonalds and bumped a truck that pulled up behind her. Ok, the guy saw her backing up and instead of letting her out, just kept coming and stopped right behind her, even though there was no one in front of him.

What pisses me off is the guy is trying to run a scam on us and the insurance.
My daughter drives a 2015 Chevy Spark. The guy was in a 2013 GMC Sierra 4X4. Now he's claiming $2800 in damages because he says it damaged the rear quarter panel, tire/rim and the bumper. Strangely enough, there is not a dent, ding, or even a scuff on my daughters car. Didn't even scratch the paint.
It was a bump, not a foot to the floor wreck.
The asshole even had the nerve to call us and say WE are responsible for helping him file the claim. [ We bought the car for her and the insurance is in our name because it's cheaper ]

My daughter had given him my wife's number and mine, along with insurance info, so he felt it was our duty to do it for him. The first time he called, I told him to call the company, give them the information and let them handle it from there. They would send out an adjuster, inspect the damage and estimate the cost of repair. The guy says " No No No, I already took it to a body shop and had it looked at and got an estimate "
First red flag.
I told him that he would have to take it up with the insurance company, I had no control over the way they processed claims. He is adamant that he already had an estimate and we are responsible for seeing that it's taken care of. He even hinted that if I would just write him a check, we wouldn't have to "worry about all that paper work or our premium going up ".
Second red flag.
I told him that just because my name is on the insurance, it's not my problem to see that his claim is made or the truck fixed and hung up.

He calls back later that day, apparently not happy with the way insurance is going to handle it and keeps insisting we help him.
I, ever so politely [ sarc ] tell him "Go f**k yourself, not my problem and don't call me again.
An hour later, he calls my wife, with insinuations of lawyers getting involved and how he'd " just hate to have to do that ". Little did he know, my wife had him on speaker and I could hear every word.
In my friendly fashion, I explained that he was on his own, although " lame ass scamming f**kwit piece of sh** SOB may have worked it's way into my vocabulary during the conversation. I'm just polite like that.
Next day, insurance calls wanting the details because this guy has called them a dozen times insisting they just cut him a check, sight unseen and asking about damage to the car . I tell them there is none. The lady is confused about how there can be $2800 in damages to his truck and none to to the tiny little car. I tell her it's amazing huh? Tinker toy car versus full size 4 wheel drive and the truck has all the damage and little car doesn't even have a scratch on it.

Insurance lady has one of those "Hmmm" moments and says the guy keeps asking for a check and that he'll take care of getting the truck fixed, there's no need to send out an adjuster.
Scammer boy got a priority visit because insurance lady realizes his story is BS. The next day, [ this has been going on all week ] adjuster calls us and asks can he look at my daughter's car. I say sure and give him her address. He goes over, looks at her car, calls me back and in no uncertain terms tell me this is a bogus claim. There's absolutely no way the truck is damaged as much as he saw, with none to the car and will refuse his claim.
Judging by how many times my phone has rang, scammer boy ain't happy. I recognize the number, answer, and before he can get a word out, I say "sucks to be a lame ass scammer huh ? " and hang up.
Let's see what his next move is.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

This is why I use an insurance agent/broker.
The online type of insurance gets the job done but when it comes to a claim you end up doing all the footwork which is time consuming and usually doesn’t end very well.

Any time I have an issue I just call my agent and say go get em..

And yeah, people suck and will try to get all they can.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

tell him to get a lawyer. Once he realizes how much he will have to pay to go that route, he will forget about it and find a new scam.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Get the law involved. This is Fraud for one and demanding money with menaces. Let them deal with him. We have this a lot in the UK, it's called cash for crash. Many, many so called accidents are manufactured. You're very, very lucky he didn't claim for injuries as well.

posted on Jul, 4 2021 @ 09:42 PM
link   
There are quite a few people out there that do that kind of stuff. We were parked at the store in a parking lot and a kid ran into our Subaru, there was no damage, I told him to watch it more when he pulls in because accidents will make his insurance go up when he hits a parked car.

I have had people try to blame stuff on me over the years that I did not do. They would say the dent in my car caused their damage even though I was not parked even near them, many years ago I started taking pictures or showing others dents I had in my cars so I had witnesses or evidence in case someone tried to say I hit them. My truck was used for construction, it would get dents in it from pushing stuff. I have bought cars with dents in them, you get good cars cheaper that way. Most times I fixed the damage up somewhat and I have lots of bodyworking tools and sprayguns. Darn paint is pretty expensive now though. But I still do that kind of stuff a little.

posted on Jul, 5 2021 @ 01:18 AM
link   
A similar thing happened to me when I was 17. I had a brand new car that my grandparents bought for me.
Early Sunday morning, I was driving it to church where my dad was a pastor. My younger brothers were passengers in the back. I was stopped at red light on a very very very slight incline. I was behind a car, that was a junker. The light turned green, I took my foot off the break and my car idled as the car in front rolled back in to me. A very large man (he was about 6.5) got out of the car and walked to my window and motioned me to roll it down. I was terrified. I rolled it down and he starts yelling at me. He asks for my info, I hand it over. He gives me his. He drives off.

I was a couple of minutes away from my dad's church. I was very upset. I have my dad come out and he looks at my car and there is zero damage. Not a scratch nor a mark. Again, this is a brand new car and there was no sign of anything. Not even dirt. He used to own auto body shops, and knows how these things go, so he took a bunch of pictures. We then went to the intersection to take pictures to show that it had a slight incline which would cause his manual car to roll back easily when the clutch was not engaged.

We never hear from the guy................

Until a year later. I get papers that he is suing me and my insurance company. He is suing us not only for damages to his car, but for extreme damage to his back and other physical issues as a result of this accident that cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars in medical bills and he was unable to work.

I still had the pictures my dad took. I still had the car, in perfect condition. Still had the same insurance company with a clear record. So, I let him sue me and we went to court. He had no idea of the evidence I had nor the witnesses I had. He never realized my brothers were in the car, nor that my dad was an auto body expert (and being a pastor helped w/ the character witness). He had NO clue what he had gotten himself into with me. haha

I was found innocent. The insurance company ended up suing him for fraud and he was charged criminally too. He also had a long criminal & civil record of fraud as I was not his first victim.

So yea, these POS are out there.

Sorry you are having to go thru this!!! Really sorry your daughter is

edit on 2021 by shaemac because: (no reason given)

top topics

join