It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burj Dubai: The worlds tallest building in 2009 (over 700 meters tall)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Ground breaking started back in late 2004 for the tallest man made building/structure. The Burj Dubai will break all the height records for any building. Although its final height is still a secret many sources put its 160th floor (highest floor) at 705 meters (2,313 feet) but estimates put the top of its spire from 860 meters (2,821 feet) to 900 meters (2952 feet) tall.

Sources: www.emporis.com...
skyscraperpage.com...
angermann2.com...

This is one of the most beautiful buildings I have seen in a long time. They should be done building it on 2008-2009. I cant wait until they do a documentary on it.

[edit on 23-3-2005 by beyondSciFi]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Personally I think they should be developing force fields before making anymore hight record breaking buildings
You wont catch me in a skyscraper like that.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
Personally I think they should be developing force fields before making anymore hight record breaking buildings
You wont catch me in a skyscraper like that.

Force fields wont happen anytime soon. Besides we have the technology to go about 3km tall now, but at a price. So its going to be fun to see the world race to ever taller buildings, personaly im waiting for the 1,000 meter tall builing. That should really be something... for now. The view would be breathtaking.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by beyondSciFi
Force fields wont happen anytime soon. Besides we have the technology to go about 3km tall now, but at a price.

I've never heard that before. Have anything to back it up?

EDIT: And yeah, I couldn't go in that thing. I had enough trouble taking the Ren Cen here in Detroit up to the 28th floor.

[edit on 3/23/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrkeenkid
I've never heard that before. Have anything to back it up?

Yes, there are now plans to build a 1,000 meter tall tower to generate electricity in Australia. There were also plans to build a 1 mile tall building (shaped like a cone) but noone wanted to build it do to its price (I saw it on the discovery channel). Around the same time I have heard in some article that the limits were close to 3km for a tower (thats just what I heard, not my opinon), but it was impractical due to its price and that there was no real need for such a building. The only real limitations now are price and the need for such a tall building at this moment or the near future.

P.S. I would love to the top floor of the Burj Dubai and look around, how come you guys dont like heights?

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 11:35 PM
link   
allready been posted.

tallest building in the world

[edit on 23-3-2005 by Murcielago]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 11:59 PM
link   
WOW!! its gonna rule!!

New Yorkers need to learn a few lessons for the new WTC project!!

thanks,
drfunk

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   
That is....huge, and amazing. burjdubai.com...

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sarcasimo
That is....huge, and amazing. burjdubai.com...

click on the link that I posted, its talks about all the other monumental projects going on over there.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by drfunk
WOW!! its gonna rule!!

New Yorkers need to learn a few lessons for the new WTC project!!

thanks,
drfunk

I agree, those pictures are truly beautiful. Living in NYC I wish we could reclaim the skyline with the worlds tallest building. I thought that was the plan. Anyway the view would be extraordinary.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Yeah i think NYC should reclaim its huge skyline, maybe the freedom tower can be made larger before it gets built?

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I wonder if it is good to build that high, and what if the tower has to come down sometime, it is also a perfect spot for a new 9/11

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I just thought I would add some information to this post.

Here are the other tall buildings of the world.

The Sears Tower.
Chicago, USA.
1,450 ft

Petronas Towers
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1,483 ft

Taipei 101
Taipei, Taiwan
1,667 ft
(current tallest building)

This one isn't considered to be a building but I thought I would show it off (me being Canadian and all
).

CN Tower
Toronto, Canada
1,821 ft

The WTC twin towers used to be 1,368 and 1,362 ft. The new Freedom Tower will be 1,776 ft.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:52 AM
link   
2,313 feet? Anyone in the mood for BASE jumping? lol, thats high, i would flip if i stood on the edge of the roof on a windy day, i would pee myself.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Here is a GREAT diagram of the worlds tallest buildings, the top 10: skyscraperpage.com...

There are 4 ways of measuring the worlds tallest buildings, there are: tallest roof, tallest occupied floor, highest structural height and highest point (antennas). I think Taipei 101 takes all of then except the highest point one, that is still held by the sears tower with its antennas.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufo3
Yeah i think NYC should reclaim its huge skyline, maybe the freedom tower can be made larger before it gets built?

The Freedom Tower, when completed in 2009, will be the second tallest building in the world, they were planning on it being the tallest, but this building wont let that happen (unfortunatly). They wont change its hieght, they cant, its to symbolic. America declared its independence on July 4th 1776, its when we became free. On 9/11 Terrorists took thousands of free peoples lives, So in return we build a taller building then before and have its hieght of 1,776 feet to be a tribute to the year we became free.

Personally, I like the freedom tower and its surrounding buildings.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
The Freedom Tower looks almost crystal...
Is it just reflective glass? It looks great, will it have some kind of defence from an attack similar to 9/11?

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJFiyaaBl8
I wonder if it is good to build that high, and what if the tower has to come down sometime, it is also a perfect spot for a new 9/11

I totally understand your concerns, especially since I am from NYC. But we cant let the terrorists decide how tall our skyscrapers will be. As long as we never let our guard down, I truly think we will be fine, we just cant ever forget. This freedom tower is a beautiful sight though, as are the tall buildings of the world.

apc

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Hahaha as already speculated, if the constructing country pisses off the right people (or not, as we have experienced locally) theyve got themselves a nice big bullseye.

However I do not want to be on the top floor of that thing... I want to be on the deck, unobstructed, heaving pennies.

And I think NYC has learned it's lesson. The new WTC (Freedom ?) will be very tall, but the floors only reach up to the height of the surrounding buildings... the rest above will be an empty grid of beams.. maybe some glass to make it look pretty, but nothing to walk on except the steps of some antenna maintenance stairs.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:53 PM
link   

apc
And I think NYC has learned it's lesson. The new WTC (Freedom ?) will be very tall, but the floors only reach up to the height of the surrounding buildings... the rest above will be an empty grid of beams.. maybe some glass to make it look pretty, but nothing to walk on except the steps of some antenna maintenance stairs.

What lesson would that be? There was no lesson to be learned, simply to have peoples safty in mind more during the design of skyscrapers.
I'm glad that they decided on going taller then before, and not sticking our head in the sand. The odds of a terrorist getting there hands on any thing bigger then a small private jet a extremely low.
The "Freedom Tower" which is the main building in the New World Trade Center in have office space for 70 stories, then it will have the wind turbines that will generate 20% of the buildings power, and on top of that will be the obseravation deck and above that will be the spire, which will contain all the antennas.
Heres a link that shown the Freedom Tower in a "C-Threw" point of view
Freedom Tower

It will be one of the most safest building in the world, while being comptetely functional and still having memorial areas.
heres some info from various sites.

(www.glasssteelandstone.com...)
One of those memorials is the slurry wall, more commonly known as “the bathtub.” This structure was the basement of the World Trade Center and served to hold back the Hudson River to keep it from flooding the complex. It was here that the remains of thousands of dead were found, and hundreds more who were never found. People will be able to walk down a ramp from ground level all the way down to bedrock along the edge of this wall -- the last original remaining piece of the twin towers.

(www.glasssteelandstone.com...)
Also worth noting is the “Wedge of Light” -- an area designed and aligned with the heavens so that on September 11th of each year, the area will remain free of shadows from 8:46am to 10:28am -- the time from when the first tower was attacked until the second tower collapsed.

(www.gothamgazette.com...)
the asymmetrical form topped by an off-center spire that is intended to mirror the Statue of Liberty's torch-holding arm.

-- Childs' main alteration was to twist the tower. The tapered building turns as it moves upwards. Childs claims that this will both shield the rest of the site from wind at ground level and allow the windmills to capture the maximum amount of energy over sixty stories above the ground

Underground, the building will contain a shopping area and connections to the transit station being designed by Santiago Calatrava. The ground level will have lobbies to serve both the office areas and those visiting the public observation areas located at the base of the open area and the base of the spire. The famous restaurant Windows of the World, which was located in the World Trade center, said Childs, would be located on the top floor, "perhaps with windows in the ceiling that look up into the weaving cables above."

(msnbc.msn.com...)
Pataki, who has final authority over the land owned by the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, has set 2015 as the completion date of the project. It will include a memorial to the 2,752 victims, a transportation hub, commercial and residential space, a museum and other cultural facilities.

and so I dont completely de-rail this thread, Skidmore, Owings and Merrill (SOM) is the architectural firm for the new world trade center and the Burj Dubai.

[edit on 24-3-2005 by Murcielago]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join