It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Being Offended' Thread.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

It all went wrong on the 80s when political Correctness went mad.

What with the left cancelling Christmas and calling it Winterval to avoid offending other religions.

Never met a single person from other religions who was at all offended.

Some of the best comedy is deliberately offensive.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 01:27 PM
link   

'Being Offended' Thread.

When I'm called a derogatory name by a member; I usually look up their post history. It explains a lot.

It's hard to be offended by them once you know a little of their background.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 01:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Oldcarpy2

Kinda like Lady Antebellum or the Dixie Chicks changing their name so they wouldn't offend the people who don't listen to their music.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 01:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

'Being Offended' Thread.

When I'm called a derogatory name by a member; I usually look up their post history. It explains a lot.

Shouldn't even have to look at their background. Anyone offended by a derogatory name is too sensitive for the real world.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 01:37 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Political Correctness, wokeism etc. All bs.

Yet the same folk who are so anti woke get all offended by trans people?

I'll get my coat...

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

Yes well said Olaru12 and good for you - I suppose that just shows you are a secure individual.

Suppose it's a bit different when the 'State' gets heavily involved in subjective matters (and mentally insecure individuals) - did you watch the original video?

Thought Hitchens nailed it with 'sinister piffle'.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Yes well said Olaru12 and good for you - I suppose that just shows you are a secure individual.

Thanks, yes secure and blessed actually. That's why I'm not offended by much of anything.
However being called a commi does provoke some ire, when I have been a free market capitalist, entrepreneur, designer/craftsman making and selling what I produce with my own 2 hands.

Only recently joining a union and working for others productions now that Rheumatoid Arthritis has limited my studio production time.

I respect Hitchens' opinion....

edit on 1-9-2023 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oldcarpy2

Political Correctness, wokeism etc. All bs.

Yet the same folk who are so anti woke get all offended by trans people?

I'll get my coat...

People aren't offended by transsexuals, they're opposed to being pulled into a culture they don't want to be pulled into.

The way I see it, everything should be put into separate categories to fit peoples' wants/needs. For instance, the Boy Scouts. If you want gay people in it, make a Boy Scouts for gay people. They also allow girls now, why? There's a Girl Scouts for girls. You want trannies to compete in womens' sports, why not make a league strictly for trannies? You want a gay themed cake and find a baker that says no, why push the issue instead of finding a baker who will?

Remember when groups of offended people came together to make General Mills change their Aunt Jemima syrup name? Or when they made Uncle Ben change its name and photo? Mrs. Buttersworth? The Cleveland Indians, the Washington Redskins, the Ole Miss Rebels mascot, school and street names? That's being offended.

Remember when people stopped buying Bud Light because they didn't agree with the promo? All of the people who were so offended by the things canceled above, called the people who stopped buying Bud Light offended. The good thing about what's left of this country is that you have choices. They didn't have to use those products, they didn't have to look at that mascot or wear those teams, just like we didn't have to buy Bud Light.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: karl 12
a reply to: Freeborn

Well said.

More than 2 years later...

LOL

Classic lol

Think my personal record is 8 years.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Tom and Jerry seems to have fallen foul, too.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 02:08 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Fair comment and well said.. and genuinely sorry to hear about the RA.

Regarding the subject matter I think comedy is an incredibly powerful force to get certain 'common sense' ideas across so I'll just report Steve Hughes (I love this guy).

See 3:20

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 02:14 PM
link   

I haven't watched those two since the 80's. What did they change? Makes me wonder if Wil-E finally caught the roadrunner.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 02:27 PM
link   

I haven't watched those two since the 80's. What did they change? Makes me wonder if Wil-E finally caught the roadrunner.

Mate considering anthropology and psychology I bet there is somebody out there who is offended by Wil-E-Coyote.

It's all very absurd and we as a human race cannot pander to the mentally ill (basically for the sake of our kids).

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 02:30 PM
link   

awww and he keeps him close ever since in chains. That's what that bird really wants. All that running around was always an obvious cry for help!
I am so happy it finally worked out!

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Some of the best comedy is deliberately offensive.

Mate did you catch Titania McGrath?

It's a direct response to state censorship but they may have taken it too far (I was pissing my sides though).

Source

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 02:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

The roadrunner was just playing hard to get.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 03:14 PM
link   

efficiently. Very very effective, I mean so many traps he got out of everything...

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 03:39 PM
link   

No. Mr Wile E Coyote was a victim of the evil Acme Corp. Here is the poor sods law suit:

www.newyorker.com...

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 03:42 PM
link   
A resurrected thread. Does that mean I have start reading all over again from the beginning?

I did a quick scan to see if I'd written anything stupid back then. Nah, seems okay.

posted on Sep, 1 2023 @ 03:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena
A resurrected thread. Does that mean I have start reading all over again from the beginning?

I did a quick scan to see if I'd written anything stupid back then. Nah, seems okay.

Just carry on regardless mate, the personal reason for the bump was this vid about a football manager.

I had someone tell me it was 'offensive' but I just found it extremely funny (funnily enough they were laughing at it as well).

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join