It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

black holes=wormholes?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
well you know how like a black hole suck things in and nothing could get out and like theres a lot of mass in the black hole well the thing is if inside the black hole like knowledge from the past and future are compressed and stuff you know i believe that an black hole is acctully an wormhole and i believe that inside the black hole you actully could break the light berrier.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Why do you feel as if the inside of a black hole allows you to beak the light barrier?

First off, as we know it. Nothing could survive being pulled into a black hole. Also, black holes were predicted by relativity. Relativity is partly based in light having a constant speed which may or may not be true. However, this same theory, that predicting things like black holes, and their ability to bend light, prohibits you from travelling at a greater velocity than light.

What information do you cite when you come to the conclusion that we can travel faster than light in a black hole?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 04:02 PM
link   
i remebered my friend told me that he heard somewhere that you could go faster than light in a black hole but the thing is in a black you get compressed into atoms and if your atoms dont like get mixed up or messed up i believe you could survive and end up maybe light years from where you sucked in.but if your atoms get mixed up and scrambled up and theres nasty things in the black hole.............well you can call it and ending but i still beleive theres a possibility and black hole could serve as an wormhole not exactly it will serve as one but maybe it will

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
In actuality, if you were approaching a black hole the gravity would increase by squares. In other words, it wouldn't get stronger at a constant rate. The closer you get the stronger the pull would get, and faster. In other words, you would come to a point where gravity at your head would be thousands of times less than the gravity at your feet. You would get torn in half long before you got to the center.

Also, the compressed matter would make for an EXTREMELY hot area. Even though we cannot see the light, it is there. The gravity is simply to strong for it to escape. Your molecules and atoms would be broken down to the most basic form possible before being compacted into a density that no-one could possibly imagine.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
so technicly if it was some kind of wormhole you wouldnt survive it,right?

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Well, wtf is a black hole? According to science it is a dense mass of gravity, but gravity only affects things with mass, and light photons do not have mass........ so how does a bh suck in light? Read Stephen Hawking books, you will learn/have new questions. Love Theory of Everything, but mainly Universe in a Nutshell is where this comes from.

Think about it, Gravity only affects things with mass, and Light Photons do not have mass, so how does a Black Hole affect Light Photons?????

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
so all we have to do is demateralized ourselves and we might make it through an blackhole but that doesnt doesnt answer my question i want to know if you think blackholes could be wormholes.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
A continuous wormhole that led somewhere/when else would have to have some kind of structure to make a hollow/travelable conduit.

A black hole really doesn't have that.
Black holes come down to a singularity center.

Just my thoughts of course.

I think a useful wormhole might be a whitehole instead. Something that goes in the opposite direction from black holes.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Some of the confusion, I think, comes from the basic point of the two.

A black hole is a huge amount of mass focused at a singularity, absurdely dense. Once you "pass" the event horizon, no information can escape, and you become part of the singularity. There is no 'inside' a black hole. You pass the event horizon, you don't exist anymore, whatever you are, as far as anything is concerned.

A wormhole is a large amount of mass that has bent space so much that it creates a fold in space that connects to another fold created by another large mass, thus creating a shortcut.

Also, knowledge isn't mass. I just have a big head.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Think about it, Gravity only affects things with mass, and Light Photons do not have mass, so how does a Black Hole affect Light Photons?????

Look at your logic.

Gravity only affects obejcts with mass.
Gravity affects light.
Light does not have mass.

Your problem is that you're assuming that the first statement is correct. If gravity affects amssless obejcts, then it obviously does not only affect mass.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Gravity doesn't affect mass. Gravity affects space. And light most definitely travelys through space.

Fin.

whitehole=opposite direction of a blackhole? You mean like a huge mass density at infinity? Why, that would be just like... nothing.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Amory is right. Gravity bends the space around it. It doesn't actually pull on anything. Light travels through space, curving as space does. However, it may turn out that he is incorrect regarding escaping information from beyond the event horizon. Steven Hawking among others have done research which has indicated that certain anti-particals should be escaping.

In any case. As it stands now, the event horizon is the cut off.

posted on Mar, 22 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seapeople
Amory is right.

Now that's my kind of post.

The thing with hawking radiation is that it could and should happen, just because it can, but we've got a helluva time tracking it, simply because of the numbers involved. The jets are much easier 'cause, you know, you can see em.

Hawking radiation, for the record everyone, is when some energy near the event horizon becomes a particle and its antiparticle. Normally they would anihilate themselves, and create energy, except one crosses the EH and the other doesn't and, wham! Radiation. Or, supposedly. Or supposedly not.

[edit on 3/22/2005 by Amorymeltzer]

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
ohh!!! so a black hole is a mass in space once you get sucked in you are non existant anymore and a wormhole is a mass that folds space!! oh thanks for the info

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
somethings I know about black holes:

a black hole is as big as a basketball and contains more mass than the sun and all planets around it, because of this the gravity field around it is verystrong. you can say that in a blackhole only the cores of atoms are all together and the clound around it is compressed to (almost) nothing. This also means that gravity comes from the core inside an atom, also gravity is a reversed electro-magnetic vibration, I am still trying to find out why gravity exits and where it really comes from

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by missinglink
ohh!!! so a black hole is a mass in space once you get sucked in you are non existant anymore and a wormhole is a mass that folds space!! oh thanks for the info

Heh, glad to be of service. It's nice to actually put some of the stuff I know into use. Here's another piece of info, made it myself.

Rule of Thumb:
Black Hole = baaaad
Wormhole = maybe good, but probably baaaad.

If, in the course of your life, you should encounter one, that is a big No-No. Go back a few lightyears.

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
What if you traveld towards the black hole at extreme speed so that there wouldnt be enough time for your atoms to get all funky?

posted on Mar, 23 2005 @ 04:23 PM
link   
You'd get there faster, and die faster.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   
In perfect conditions in the "vaccum" of space, The gravityof the black hole could accelerate you to the speed of light. If a black hole can accelerate or deaccelerate a photon and suck it into it's core at a spped greater than that of light why can't it accelerate anything. Their is supposedly no friction in space soo all you can do is accelerate.

PS:Slipknot Rocks

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Well, a photon is already moving at the speed of light, so there's no real need to accelerate it to the speed of light.

You'll move fast. Not the speed of light. Once you cross the event horizon, there is no way to tell what happens, and there never will be. Observers will actually see you taking an infinite amount of time to "fall" into the black hole.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join