It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mid-air Collision over Denver on May 12, 2021

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on May, 13 2021 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I didn't see a thread on this so I thought I'd make one. You don't really hear about midair collisions happening often.

Apparently yesterday there was a mid-air collision between a Key Lime Air SW4 and a private Cirrus SR-22. Luckily the pilot and passenger of the Cirrus were able to eject and use their parachutes to land safely. The crew of the SW4 were able to safely land their plane and thankfully nobody was hurt in the crash.

avherald.com...

A Key Lime Air Swearingen SA-226TC Metro II, registration N280KL performing flight KG-970 from Salida,CO to Denver Centennial,CO (USA) with one crew, was on a visual approach to Centennial's runway 17L cleared for the approach and was descending through 6400 feet about 3nm north of the threshold runway 17L at about 11:24L (16:24Z).

A private Cirrus SR-22, registration N416DJ with two people on board, was cleared for a visual approach to runway 17R and was advised of the traffic landing on the parallel runway. The Cirrus descended through 6400 feet about 3nm north of the threshold of runway 17R, but overshot the centerlines of both runways 17R and 17L.

The two aircraft collided, the Cirrus apparently struck across through the fuselage of the Metroliner just above the wings taking out the whole cabin section at that point. The Metro crew declared emergency on tower frequency reporting their right hand engine had failed and reported they saw another aircraft on parachute going down. After landing the crew advised, it had definitely been a mid air collision.

The Cirrus pilot activated their parachute and landed in a field nearby with no injuries. The crew of the Metroliner managed to land the aircraft at Centennial Airport.

The Cirrus with two people on board ended up about 2.7nm north of runway 17L in the area of the Cherry Creek Reservoir. The local Sheriff's Office gave the location of the Cirrus between E. Bellevue Ave and S. Cherry Creek Drive. The Sheriffs Office stated, the other aircraft was carrying cargo only and was flown by a single pilot. There were no injuries.

Key Lime Metroliner after landing

The Cirrus after its crash landing

edit on 13/5/2021 by dug88 because: forgot link

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Thankfully there weren't any people in the passenger compartment of the Key Lime plane.
That would have been ugly.
And I'll bet that Cirrus pilot was glad he invested in that plane parachute.
edit on b000000312021-05-13T11:49:00-05:0011America/ChicagoThu, 13 May 2021 11:49:00 -05001100000021 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 11:53 AM
link   
In visual meteorological conditions and broad daylight too, if I read that right (I'm slow out of the gate this AM). Well, actually, that's when the bulk of mid-airs happen--lots of planes up and everyone's sight seeing.

I used to base at an airport with parallel runways. It was always "exciting" when you had another bird coming at you on left base while you were on right base if you were anywhere close to the same distance out. They (ATC) avoided setting us up that way and for good reason, but occasionally it would get close. It was a small airport in a rural-ish area and the tower had no radar. Fun place but you really gotta keep your eyes outside the cockpit at all times.

Would be interested to see what the NTSB has to say on this one. Not a common occurrence. Someone got confused, distracted, etc... I don't know, but glad no fatalities. Yikes!
edit on 5/13/21 by servovenford because: clarification

edit on 5/13/21 by servovenford because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:04 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

Video of the S-22 parachute deployed.
youtu.be...

Another article..
kdvr.com...

Diapers please!

Edit: Aloha AirlinesπŸ™„πŸ˜₯πŸ˜₯

though not a collision. Still landed.
edit on 13-5-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Two tough planes. Kind of gives you a bit of confidence in both types of aircraft.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Wow...shocked the metroliner didn't break apart.

As far as the cirrus.....that is one of those pucker up and hope the chute does its job moments....can't imagine that thing was ever used by the pilot before.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Lucky SOBs
But kudos to them for bringing them in with no casualties.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:20 PM
link   
holy moly that's some serious damage. lucky people surviving that.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:32 PM
link   

A few years back at the OshKosh Airshow, they had T-shirts printed for the Cirrus22 pilots of planes parachuting down on Oshkosh.😊

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:41 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499
Reminder off topic..
This is from 2 weeks ago.

Another landed from Edmonton yesterday and is parked at Atlantic Aviation Greater Pittsburgh International Airport.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

So I did see one after all. I thought that I did. Wasn't sure. I was in Moon Township yesterday for training.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:50 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

Key Lime uses the Metro II and III for cargo operations only. They have several different types they use for passenger operations, including the Metro 23 (Metro IV).

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 12:51 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499
Edit: off topic but needed to share with local ATS.
Yep it arrived at 2pm

Still here... and yes I have pics of it too. Landed 28R and used whole runway!😁
edit on 13-5-2021 by Bigburgh because: There are more planes in the Ocean, then there are submarines the sky πŸ™„

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 01:17 PM
link   
I didn't realize they had parachutes for planes. That's pretty cool, and seems to work good.

So apparently it was the landing gear of the Cirrus that was able to tear open that big of a hole in the Metroliner. At least that what someone suggested in the comments under the article linked in the OP.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Can't see the video. YouTube and it's geolocking content. But those other pics are pretty cool thanks.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 01:22 PM
link   
a reply to: BrokenCircles

Probably. The Cirrus overshot the turn to final. They were landing on parallel runways, and both had been cleared to land.

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

In this article I linked supposedly has the Audio... you know how to get it to work?

The article: kdvr.com...
The ATC link.. www.liveatc.net...

It does work on their video clip for the audio.
edit on 13-5-2021 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 02:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: dug88

Can't see the video. YouTube and it's geolocking content. But those other pics are pretty cool thanks.

See if this works... πŸ€”

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 02:18 PM
link   

posted on May, 13 2021 @ 02:20 PM
link   

I'm glad all parties survived. When I sawr the headline, I was expecting to see something like the 1957 Pacoima mid-air collision that gave Ritchie Valens his fear of flying.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join