It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Planes stop in mid air

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a Theres a lot of these popping up.

Frozen planes in the sky, birds, general weirdness to say the least.

What is this, Matrix glitch?

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 08:40 PM
link   
What’s going on here?

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 08:42 PM
link   
9a reply to: slatesteam

Matrix glitching out, don't know.

+16 more 
posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 08:50 PM
link   
It's an optical illusion. The planes aren't really standing still. If you notice in many of them, the plane and the car are going opposite directions. And it's when the plane is in a slow phase of flight.

The bird is caught on a wire you can't see.
edit on 2/24/2021 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 08:50 PM
link   
All planes were moving, perspective and the in some cases if the camera is moving at the same time it can make it appear objects in the sky are not moving. Also, planes in a turn or coming straight at or away can also look stationary. In a couple cases the smaller planes were trying to move against strong winds and were basically stationary because their speed was near equal to the headwind speed, like swimming against a current and not moving.
edit on 24-2-2021 by panoz77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Flying into headwinds, a plane may appear to be stopped relative to ground speed while still getting enough lift to stay in the air. Similar to the vids of planes landing almost sideways to the runway while still maintaining adequate forward speed/direction to hit the runway.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 08:58 PM
link   
The couple airplanes were going slow, not "hovering." Air moves, as in wind, and airspeed is not the same as ground speed. The crow was on a wire and either getting electrocuted, was brain damaged or is just a weird corvid, but not frozen in some time-space warp.

I lost interest after that and if one of the others really seems weird, then I'm sorry... but it's little ado about less.

Edit: what the chorus above me said... better than I. I took too long to reply... seh le guerre.
edit on 2/24/2021 by Baddogma because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/24/2021 by Baddogma because: editted edit saw another mistake and just told myself to relax and get some air.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 09:16 PM
link   
a reply to: PillarOfFire

It happens in heavy cross winds can even make a plane look like a harrier landing at the airport. They will hover over the runway and turn sideways. This is called crabbing on a landing the wind speed is so high that the plane doesnt have to move to create lift. Ive seen it a couple of times and yes it messes with your head especially on the flight were i was on the plane going into dullas we sat still for about 10 min. The pilot did not want to risk increasing throtle its just easier to wait it out.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 09:40 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

You think that messes with your head?

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 10:03 PM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

If you've ever been on one of those sideways landings I can tell you it ain't an enjoyable ride. Last flight I took from Florida to Detroit metro, we were chased by storms the whole way with the pilot constantly on the throttle and then coming into Detroit about the only thing that didn't happen was wind shear. Brought the plane in sideways. One of those flights you hear about.

Standing O for the pilot on the last flight I'll ever take.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The second time I flew, it was a Cesna, I was doing about ninety MPH and was going backwards because I was going against a high wind. It was kind of cool, I asked the guy giving me lessons why we were not going foreward and he said it was because we were going backwards. I gave it a lot of gas, then went up and we went straight up then started going forward again. I asked him if that was common and he said yeah, you can be traveling ninety mph and actually be going two hundred sometimes if you are in a tailwind.

To do that with a jet would be pretty hard because they are going much faster. It is strange how the layers of wind flowing different ways occur, because I was going into the wind at ninety something, I was still flying. I was flying into a headwind doing a hundred with a different plane coming in to land and the wind quit, the plane needed about eighty five to fly but it dropped to sixty. He was reading something and I said I think I got problems as I start feathering down and he told me to hit the throttle and aim towards the runway and I did, I was using full flaps too, and we didn't crash, but I was going too fast to stop, it would not land. I went around and landed it after that, my heart pounded at about two hundred beats per minute for hours. That was the last flying lesson, I quit that day because with my Tachychardia I knew I should not be doing that on my own and the next day was when my solo flights started. I think he was afraid to fly with me.

I learned how to fly an airplane, I knew I would never pass the physical to get my license after the lessons were done anyway, Tachychardia was listed on my medical records. I did want to know how to fly just in case we were getting a ride and the pilot got a heart attack....I still could probably fly a small plane but hope I never have to.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 10:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Some badass Courage on display here. If I were on that plane
going down the runway at 65 degrees? The vid would show my
dumb ass open a door, jump and deploy a chute that would get
hung up. And drag my ass all the way down the run way.

Master at panic
edit on 24-2-2021 by Randyvine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I experienced a weird optical illusion once driving across the Mongolian steppes. There was an airplane - I think it was a commercial airliner - that looked to be going vertically straight up. I knew it was a perspective issue, but it sure did look weird! I kept an eye on it for awhile and it looked to be in a vertical climb the whole time.

Perspective, distance and relative speed can do odd things.
edit on 2021 2 24 by incoserv because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Randyvine

They actually designed it to do that. The normal procedure for a crosswind landing is to turn into the wind and drop one wing to keep from actually turning, then level the wings and kick the nose in line with the runway at the last minute. The wings on the B-52 are so long and droop so much, they can't do that without possibly dragging a wingtip. So instead, the B-52 was designed so that the fuselage turns independent of the landing gear up to 20 degrees off straight.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: Randyvine

They actually designed it to do that. The normal procedure for a crosswind landing is to turn into the wind and drop one wing to keep from actually turning, then level the wings and kick the nose in line with the runway at the last minute. The wings on the B-52 are so long and droop so much, they can't do that without possibly dragging a wingtip. So instead, the B-52 was designed so that the fuselage turns independent of the landing gear up to 20 degrees off straight.

Yeah I barely had enough mud to watch but I noticed exactly
what you described. I doubt I would've survived even if I didn't
jump.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 10:50 PM
link   

some more glorious strong headwind landings

quite ballsy to trust the wind wasnt gonna suddenly drop though.

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

That's what happens when planes get too old. They land sideways.

Amazing that in almost 75 years, the US aviation industry has not been able to come up with a new strategic bomber that works reliably and effectively. How many tries have they had? The B-58, the XB-70, the B-1, the B-2. Any more?

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: choos

That plane looks like CN-1.

Chuck Norris doesn't obey the laws of physics.
The laws of physics, obey Chuck Norris !

posted on Feb, 24 2021 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Astyanax

The B-2 works pretty well, but was never really designed to do everything the B-52 does. In 2019, the B-2 was within 5% of the B-52 mission capable rate, which is quite good. Both the B-52 and B-2 met their mission capable goals three years out of nine, compared to 0 of 9 for the B-1. The B-1 losing their external racks hurt them on flexibility, and a total lack of spares hurt them operationally. It's possible that retiring the 17 this year will help with spares, but the last time they retired a batch it didn't really help as much as they hoped it would. The B-52 has the weapons flexibility and payload to keep it relative, even though if we were in a near peer conflict it wouldn't be able to get anywhere within range of a modern defense system, unlike the B-2, and maybe the B-1. I wouldn't put money on the B-1 being able to, but it would have a better chance than a B-52 would.

posted on Feb, 25 2021 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: panoz77

soooo..."not moving" as in stopped. lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join